Thread: Sail Question

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Default Sail Question

What's to stop someone making sails for his ship minis out of actual fabric?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

In my case, skill.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Chris,
    The weave of the fabric would look wrong and be to big for this scale 1/1200 or 1/1000.
    Be safe
    Rory

Landsman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

In my opinion, actual fabric sails at this scale won't "hang" well unless you billow/form them in advance and set them with lacquer or something else ... and this is essentially what you've got with store-bought (e.g. lead/amalgam) sails at 1/10th the hassle.
    I tried years ago with a bigger sailing ship model (rejecting the rigid plastic sails that came with the kit) and after much frustration gratefully went back to the rigid plastic ones.
    But ... maybe you'll find a way to make it work, just don't count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    What's to stop someone making sails for his ship minis out of actual fabric?
    Interesting idea Chris. You might want to check out a fabric store and look around. Maybe bum some scraps.
    I have a thin but dense T-shirt that might work. Would you use starch to give it a billowing look?

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

If you could find an extremely light fabric it could work, but as said above, it wouldn't hang right (unless you were modelling a becalmed ship) unless you glued or starched it. Paper works well for sails

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Interesting idea Chris. You might want to check out a fabric store and look around. Maybe bum some scraps.
    I have a thin but dense T-shirt that might work. Would you use starch to give it a billowing look?
    Ed I would think you would have to create a mold (like an ice cube holder but shallow and sail shaped, or the opposite where you lay the material over a raised mold and let it drape down to create the shape) of some description, place the material into the mold, treat it to stiffen it (lacquer, glue?) let it set then remove and trim. You could use real canvas but to get it thin enough might be impossible. Bruce's point about the hassle is valid but if you discover the secret you could make a tiny fortune

Another problem is going to be the number of sail variations you will need in size and shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Another problem is going to be the number of sail variations you will need in size and shape.
    That's why I just dismissed the thought of trying it myself. But if you were snowed in somewhere, it might be a nice project.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    If you could find an extremely light fabric it could work, but as said above, it wouldn't hang right (unless you were modelling a becalmed ship) unless you glued or starched it. Paper works well for sails
    Some of the larger scale wargaming ships use paper sails. Of course there are also the paper ship kits (see www.warartisan.com). I have found paper sails easier to work with than the brass Langton sails! A little white glue, a dowel and off you go. Still not sure this is practical in 1/1000 -1/1200.

Eric

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    David (Dave)

In my youth, I built a few plastic ship models. On one particular ship, I believe it was Drake's Golden Hind, I didn't like the plastic sails that came with it. Here's what I did.

Peel away a single ply from a facial tissue, such as Kleenex. Cut the tissue to the desired size. Sharp scissors are a must.

Next step, attach your sail to the spar. I suggest a thin CA glue. This is easier if your spar is not yet attached to the mast.

Now glue a length of your rigging thread to each of the two lower corners of you sail.

Mix some basic PVA glue (such as Elmer's brand white glue) with water. You want it to be fairly thin. Dip your sail carefully in your thinned glue. You want to impregnate the tissue with the glue.

Now suspend your sail so it hangs freely. Carefully pull the two rigging lines to give the sail the shape that you desire. Tape off the rigging lines so they hold the tissue in the shape.

Allow to dry.

Once dry, the tissue should hold it's shape.

It is fairly fragile though, so it may not be practical for the gaming table. Perhaps tissue paper would be better.

If I have time, I will put one together and photograph the step by step for you all to see.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Dave, that would be good to see

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    David (Dave)

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Dave, that would be good to see
    I might have some time tomorrow to do it. What do you think the basic dimensions are for a main sail (in mm) at 1/1000 scale? I don't currently own any small ship models.

Thanks Dave. Food for thought for other metal and plastic sails.

Don't know the sizes of all the 1000 sails but, they would be 20% larger than the 1/1200 size.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

I'm making a 1-1200 scale wreck. I have used kitchen roll paper for it. I have done as David (by the way, Hi David.) has done. But I have laid all the sails over the hull and worked it into the ship with a cocktail stick, as if all the masts are shot away. Would, if you lay the wet/glued sheets over a round piece of wood/plastic or food tin covered with Clingfilm. When dry peel them off, cut to shape and size, work?
    Be safe
    Rory

Name:  For your eyes only 001.JPG
Views: 365
Size:  253.4 KB
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 09-11-2013 at 16:55.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Rory, that looks pretty cool! Is that a British ship wreck?

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Hi Jim,
    No, it will become a Russian wreck. I'm very pleased with the out come and this will be the first of many wrecks for my fleets. Russian, French and British.
    Be safe
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Rory are sure Jim is not right? It does look a lot like a British 38.

Name:  United_States_Macedonian.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  52.6 KB
    Last edited by Coog; 09-11-2013 at 17:46.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Is this lets have a go at Rory day today? I can go off you lot.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Is this lets have a go at Rory day today? I can go off you lot.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Just kidding you a little.

By the way, I can handle a Russian wreck just fine.

I have used tissue as well impregnated with PVA, just for wrecks so far and one ship that I aquired that had none.
    Name:  2013-04-14 14.23.27.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  3.44 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Volunteer; 09-11-2013 at 22:51. Reason: add photo

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    David (Dave)

I had a little time this morning, so a whipped up a quick and dirty example. Here's some photos of the HMS Floral Foam. Forgive my toothpick mast and yards!

I originally tried dipping the sail in the watered down PVA glue, but found with sails this small, it was simpler to attach the sail to the yard by brushing some glue on the spar them placing the sail. It sticks easily. Then once the rigging is tied off, using a brush to "paint" the glue onto the sail.

Also, rather than separating out a single ply of the tissue, I just used both together.

I spent about 30 minutes on this total, so expect better results if you're working more for a finished result instead of just a proof of concept.

Name:  IMG_1489.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  546.2 KBName:  IMG_1490.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  484.6 KBName:  IMG_1491.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  520.1 KBName:  IMG_1492.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  514.6 KBName:  IMG_1493.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  499.0 KBName:  IMG_1494.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  511.6 KBName:  IMG_1496.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  510.3 KBName:  IMG_1498.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  523.8 KBName:  IMG_1501.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  513.8 KBName:  IMG_1502.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  492.4 KBName:  IMG_1506.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  513.9 KBName:  IMG_1508.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  539.2 KBName:  IMG_1509.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  506.7 KBName:  IMG_1510.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  530.0 KB

EDIT: I've resized and replaced the image files to hopefully speed up page loading for folks.
    Last edited by Wear Ship Dave; 09-12-2013 at 13:11.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Very nice, David. I think I have a wife who would enjoy such a project.

It seems that it would be quite easy to put holes or tears in the sails, giving them a battle-fought look.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    David (Dave)

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Very nice, David. I think I have a wife who would enjoy such a project.

It seems that it would be quite easy to put holes or tears in the sails, giving them a battle-fought look.
    Quite so. It would be quite easy to add damage to the sails. I suggest that you make the holes while the tissue is still wet with the watered down glue. Maybe using the pointy tip of a toothpick to make cannon ball sized holes.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi David,
    I like your idea. I do not think I would go so far with modelling unless I had a ship with no sails. This is an idea to bank.
    Vol,
    Love your wrecks. As always gives me ideas for mine.
    Be safe both.
    Rory

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Has anyone looked into Portsmouth Miniatures(www.portsmouthminiatures.com)? They have a 1:900 range of ships. The details aren't in line with Langton, but the prices are better if you're creating wrecks. They use paper sails as well as steel wire/rods for masts to give you an idea of what I mean by details.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    David (Dave)

Just an update... My tissue sails have now dried, and I think they are surprisingly robust.

If I were to make sails in this fashion for a game piece, I think I might give them a coat or two more of the PVA glue. Overall though, I think they would survive gaming use by anyone willing to use a moderate amount of care in handling them. I intentionally dropped my HMS Floral Foam upside down from table height half a dozen times with no visible damage to the tissue sails.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Wear Ship Dave View Post
    EDIT: I've resized and replaced the image files to hopefully speed up page loading for folks.

Second EDIT: Hmmm.... Apparently the original large images remain attached to the post... So, I may have made it worse.
    Original images have been removed. Thanks again David for the idea and pictorial lesson. Great stuff.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    David (Dave)

Thanks Eric!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Mm -- I've tried most of these methods; but they just don't look quite right to me....

I was thinking with the fabric: Lay it over some sort of shaping device (a cardboard tube, or similar), then starch that mo-fo 'til it's stiffer than the regulars at the _WoG_ Officers' Mess. :)

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    David (Dave)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Mm -- I've tried most of these methods; but they just don't look quite right to me....

I was thinking with the fabric: Lay it over some sort of shaping device (a cardboard tube, or similar), then starch that mo-fo 'til it's stiffer than the regulars at the _WoG_ Officers' Mess. :)
    I would use something very large, like an empty 1 gallon paint can or maybe something even bigger(paper label removed). Even at this small scale, a paper towel cardboard tube will give you more curvature than I think that you want. I would suggest using a fabric piece much larger than the sail that you need. Stiffen it (I would probably still use watered down PVA glue), once dry cut the sail shape you need with a razor knife and peel it away from the can.

I think the biggest challenge, really, is to find a fabric that has a fine enough weave that it looks right. Maybe a satin fabric. Not sure, I would need to wander around a fabric store and see what is available.

Just a few thoughts.