Thread: On this day 31 July - a French and British frigate duel

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default On this day 31 July - a French and British frigate duel

On the 31st of July 1793, the HMS Boston, under the command of Captain George Courtenay, and the French Embuscade, under the command of Captain Jean-Baptiste-François Bompart, fought a duel of the coast of New Jersey. Courtenay issued a challenge to Bompart a few days earlier, and at 3:00 a.m. on the 31st, his crew spotted a large ship approaching. Thirty minutes later, they identified the ship as a French frigate. For the next 90 minutes, both ships maneuvered, until at 5:05 a.m. the Boston fired the first shot of the engagement. News of the unfolding battle brought thousands of onlookers to the New Jersey shore. By 5:45 a.m., the Boston sustained significant damage to her rigging and sails, and within the next 25 minutes, had her main topmast and mizzen mast severely damaged. At approximately 6:20 a.m., a cannonball killed Royal Marine Lieutenant James Butler, and left Courtenay wounded and unresponsive. Lieutenant John Edwards assumed command, and ordered both bodies to be thrown overboard to preclude the loss of morale among the crew. By 6:40 a.m., the 32-gun British frigate had sustained further damage from the heavier guns aboard the 32-gun French frigate, and the remaining officers were badly wounded. As panic spread throughout the British crew, the Embuscade prepared to rake the Boston's stern. Edwards was able to maneuver the Boston out of immediate danger, and realizing that continued fighting would only be detrimental to his ship and crew, fled. The French tried to pursue, but the Boston proved to fast, and at 8:00 a.m., Bompart changed course for New York.

The Battle:

Name:  Embuscade_vs_Boston_38974.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  37.1 KB

For more on today's event:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_31_July_1793

Daniel will be pleased with this one. A British 32-gun frigate running away from a French 32-gun frigate!

Heavy damage to their rigging, and still outrunning the French. There's a lesson in there somewhere for the French.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Daniel will be pleased with this one. A British 32-gun frigate running away from a French 32-gun frigate!
    I thought of that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Heavy damage to their rigging, and still outrunning the French. There's a lesson in there somewhere for the French.
    The Embuscade was damaged pretty badly as well. All three of its masts were, subsequently, replaced. I have a copy of the Sea Warriors, one of the references used in the associated wiki article. I will look up this engagement later to see if there is more info.

Here's a bit more on the two ships: the Boston was 31 years old and the Embuscade was 3 years old; the Embuscade's combined broadside was 30 pounds more than the Boston's.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    [whistles innocently] >:)

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    tom

Which means the masts for the Boston where probably of a better quality the the French masts. It was easier to get high quality masts before the war started. England had a shortage of high quality wood masts as the war continued on.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I thought of that too.

The Embuscade was damaged pretty badly as well. All three of its masts were, subsequently, replaced. I have a copy of the Sea Warriors, one of the references used in the associated wiki article. I will look up this engagement later to see if there is more info.

Here's a bit more on the two ships: the Boston was 31 years old and the Embuscade was 3 years old; the Embuscade's combined broadside was 30 pounds more than the Boston's.

Eric's been very good to me, he keeps finding French victories Interesting action, there doesn't seem to be much between the two frigates apart from age and it is probably not that common for a French commander to accept a challenge from a British ship. The French had the advantage of being closer to a friendly port mind you, so barring being sunk or boarded they could hope to be able to escape if necessary and repair damage whilst the nearest port for the English would have been Jamaica I suppose.

Not only Daniel would be pleased.

Interesting story, Eric.

It seems that the French gunners had a lucky day. :g&t:

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Eric's been very good to me, he keeps finding French victories Interesting action, there doesn't seem to be much between the two frigates apart from age and it is probably not that common for a French commander to accept a challenge from a British ship. The French had the advantage of being closer to a friendly port mind you, so barring being sunk or boarded they could hope to be able to escape if necessary and repair damage whilst the nearest port for the English would have been Jamaica I suppose.
    That's a realistic deduction Daniel. Thanks for bringing it to light.