Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rorys step by step guild to painting and rigging

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    For a moment I was thinking "Man, he's really gone Hardcore with this -- talking like someone from the period...." ;)
    No Chris,
    Just told I was dumb for over 30 years. I got into 17th century Surgery. I made myself a pain by asking lots of people in the know for help. One night they got together (with Jane my partner) and cornered me at a party. Saying that I knew more than they did about Barber-Surgeon's, and told me to write it all down. They helped me for over 1, 1/2 years. No one laughed at my s##t writing, just helped line by line, page by page. They got it published for me in the end. This is before I had a computer. I cannot tell you how much that helped me. I now do talks at the Royal College of Surgeons (London) and go around schools and museums doing talks. I did a display at the opening of the new Mary Rose museum this year. I hope you understand Chris, you hurt me. I see so many spelling mistakes on this site, no one say's a thing. Just you to me. I only wish to help people in a way I can. As I was helped in the past. It is hard work, Chris, trying to show something in away That all of you can understand, which for me is hard to do. The only help I'm getting, is from Vol. Just say Chris, and I will be happy to stop.
    Be safe
    Rory

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    I hope you understand Chris, you hurt me.
    No insult was meant -- I actually thought you were going for an old-style phrasing. My mistake. Apologies.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    No insult was meant -- I actually thought you were going for an old-style phrasing. My mistake. Apologies.
    Hi Chris,
    I would love to phrase well, in old, new or new ago style. I over reacted, it is one of my soft spots my writing. I thank you for your apology and I too apologise for my out burst.
    Be safe
    Rory

I'm glad we're back to playing nice.

Rory
    Your posts have been remarkably clear and helpful to newbies (amongst whom I count myself) to ship building, painting and rigging. Whatever you have written and however it has been written has so evidently been a labour of love that no-one would dream to criticise your efforts which have been detailed and fascinating. Keep it up and know we appreciate the time this must be taking you. I would have thought by recording the process you have more than doubled your build time, so again well done

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Shipmates,
    So we are coming to the end of this thread. Maybe two or three more posts and it is done. I have two problems, the space between the mizzen and the main mast and the rigging you have already done. You must weave the thread through the rigging as best you can. Do bit at a time and see how it lays. I find I must pull the thread out and go a different way a number of times. By this time you will be better at handling the thread, so it is not so hard as you think. And that British ships are different from other nations. As this is a Russian ship that is the way I'm going, but I will talk about the British ships later.
    Knot thread to mizzen topsail yardarm pull and add glue.

Name:  step by step 21 001.JPG
Views: 767
Size:  540.9 KB

Go forward to the opposite side main mast between the mast and rat line at the fighting top and go under the maintop sail.

Name:  step by step 21 002.JPG
Views: 768
Size:  709.7 KB

Go around the main mast and back under the standing rigging and maintop again. This time go on the out side of the rat line to the crossjack. Add glue to the arm pull, loop thread around arm.

Name:  step by step 21 003.JPG
Views: 778
Size:  775.1 KB

Go up behind the mizzen topsail and around the mizzen mast and down the opposite side. Add glue to the crossjack, pull and loop around the arm.

Name:  step by step 21 004.JPG
Views: 735
Size:  658.7 KB

Go forward to the main mast, going on opposite side and the out side of the rat lines go under the maintop sail and standing rigging again. Go under the maintop and back between the mast and rat line. Go up to the mizzen topsail yardarm. Add glue to the arm, pull and loop around arm.

Name:  step by step 21 005.JPG
Views: 761
Size:  573.6 KB

Go up behind the mizzen topgallant, around the front of the mizzen mast.

Name:  step by step 21 006.JPG
Views: 732
Size:  541.0 KB

Going behind the topgallant again the back to where we started this run. Add glue to the arm, pull and loop around arm.

Name:  step by step 21 007.JPG
Views: 729
Size:  553.7 KB

Knot, pull and glue to the mizzen topgallant yardarm.

Name:  step by step 21 008.JPG
Views: 711
Size:  431.7 KB

Go to the main mast opposite side and under the main topgallant sail and the top and standing rigging.

Name:  step by step 21 009.JPG
Views: 714
Size:  360.2 KB

Back to the opposite mizzen topgallant yardarm. Add glue to arm, pull and loop around arm.

Name:  step by step 21 010.JPG
Views: 736
Size:  465.9 KB

Go to the top of the mast add glue to the top of the mast and loop around. TIP If the standing rigging is loose wrap the thread around it too, to tighten it.

Name:  step by step 21 011.JPG
Views: 720
Size:  363.4 KB

Going back to the start of this run. Add glue to the arm, pull and loop around arm.

Name:  step by step 21 012.JPG
Views: 707
Size:  484.8 KB

Cut away extra thread and the main part is done.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 08-18-2013 at 18:38.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Intense at that scale. You're really throwing down an excellent tutorial Rory.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

So, this is the rigged ship. She is not finished, but well on the way. I will do that in the next post.

Name:  step by step 21 013.JPG
Views: 722
Size:  697.2 KB

Name:  step by step 21 014.JPG
Views: 668
Size:  718.8 KB

Name:  step by step 21 015.JPG
Views: 679
Size:  411.5 KB

As said before the British are different. I have no British ships to rig. I will try to tell you how!
    The British rigged the mizzen mast back. To the top arm of the spanker. I rigged the Russian ships mizzen mast in two runs. Two arms, the crossjack and the mizzen topsail, and one arm. The mizzen topgallant.
    For the British, only do the crossjack like the Russian one, to the main mast. For the next two arms, topsail and topgallant. Do as for the Russian ship but go the end of the spanker top yardarm instead. Start at the topgallant go to the spanker and glue. From the spanker go to the topsail yardarm and glue (the one below). Go up behind the sail, around and down the opposite side glue etc. and back to the spanker and glue. Go to the opposite topgallant yardarm glue etc. Go to the top of the mast and glue. And back to the start of the run and glue.

Name:  step by step 20 013.JPG
Views: 691
Size:  633.3 KB

Name:  step by step 20 014.JPG
Views: 677
Size:  493.4 KB

Hope you understand the above.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 08-18-2013 at 19:36.

Way to go Rory. I'll say it again, wish I had the skill or patience to fully rig my ships.

Midshipman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Gaz

Agree with you 100% Gunner, I know if I attempted anything like this it would result in a big ball of thread glued to itself and lots of very very bad language...

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Way to go Rory. I'll say it again, wish I had the skill or patience to fully rig my ships.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz67 View Post
    Agree with you 100% Gunner, I know if I attempted anything like this it would result in a big ball of thread glued to itself and lots of very very bad language...
    Ed, Gaz,
    It was said today to Eric, and has been said by others and myself. Don't see it as a job, but as fun. Do a bit at a time and you will do it. I do not know why, but so many gamers think of sailing ships as a glass ceiling that cannot be crossed. If you have painted A figure or two, you can do a ship.
    No one is going to look at it up close. Just think what David said " If it looks good at arms length, it will look good on the table" They are not for a museum, just to play with
    Be safe
    Rory
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 08-19-2013 at 12:30.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

So! my shipmates,
    This is the 2nd to last post for me. I Added glue all around the ships bottom and glued it to the base. I have added paint to the sails to cover the thread at the bottom of the course and jib sails.

Name:  step by step 22 002.JPG
Views: 686
Size:  686.2 KB

I made a gig for flag rigging. A piece of flat wood and two nails. It is long enough to do two flags

Name:  step by step 22 003.JPG
Views: 677
Size:  410.1 KB

I tied running rigging thread to the gig with a single loop knot at each nail.

Name:  step by step 22 004.JPG
Views: 689
Size:  407.2 KB

Cut out the flag, which I downloaded from this site. fold it in half and lay it through the thread.

Name:  step by step 22 005.JPG
Views: 674
Size:  535.5 KB

Use paper glue and stick it down.

Name:  step by step 22 006.JPG
Views: 639
Size:  564.7 KB

When dry undo the knots and take off the gig.

Name:  step by step 22 007.JPG
Views: 667
Size:  934.7 KB

I added a spot of super glue to the top spanker arm. Making sure the flag is in the right way (to the bow) and as high as you can. loop the thread around the arm about 2 times.

Name:  step by step 22 008.JPG
Views: 661
Size:  768.4 KB

Wait a minute or two. Add glue to the bottom arm of the spanker. Pull and loop around the arm two times.

Name:  step by step 22 009.JPG
Views: 673
Size:  671.8 KB

When dry, cut off extra thread. I then re-paint the yardarm ends over the rigging, and around the tops where the rigging shows and looks wrong. (the running rigging more so)

Name:  step by step 22 010.JPG
Views: 683
Size:  675.5 KB

The last bit is the remove the shiny bits left by the glue and not painted over. The thread around the bow and bow sprit, top and bottom of the rat-lines and around the joint of the hull and the base. Paint over these places with a Matt varnish.

Name:  step by step 22 011.JPG
Views: 675
Size:  603.4 KB

So the ship is done.

Be safe
    Rory
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 08-19-2013 at 12:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz67 View Post
    Gaz, don't forget the part about having more glue on your fingers than you have on the ship.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Absolutely fascinating, informative, and invaluable. Thank you Rory.

Ordinary Seaman
    Wales

Log Entries
    Name
    Rab

And to think I spent most of today looking at this and other sites seeing how to affix a flag

I had visions of drilling yet another hole in the model to stick a pin in.

I should be more patient!, Impatience is not a good start point for trying to emulate this work

thank you again

Rabbit

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Shipmates It is done. I hope this helps you as it is, or in part. I to have leant a lot. How to take better photos (Sorry for the bad ones) of my ships. I have also leant not to be so sensitive about my short comings (Sorry! and thanks Chris ). For my old friend Vol, thanks for your Ideas and help. Eric, a good new friend, thanks. You are a bl##dy good crew to sail with. over 2000 hits. O.K. half from me.
    So we have gone from this.

Name:  step by step 001.JPG
Views: 584
Size:  670.6 KB

To this.

Name:  step by step 22 012.JPG
Views: 771
Size:  724.1 KB

Name:  step by step 22 013.JPG
Views: 691
Size:  724.3 KB

Name:  step by step 22 014.JPG
Views: 657
Size:  492.7 KB

She now sails off to join the rest of my Russian Fleet.

Name:  step by step 22 015.JPG
Views: 725
Size:  636.9 KB

Only one more frigate to paint and rig and the running rigging on the "Venera" to do. Oh! and a wreck
    Be safe
    Rory.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks Rory for the photos, tips and your time in explaining in great detail what goes into building these mins. :g&t::g&t:

Hi Rory,
    Are you using the Selafail class ship to protect the fleet transporting Russian troops to Kronshtadt in 1814 or, off to fight the Turks in1828?

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Rory,
    Are you using the Selafail class ship to protect the fleet transporting Russian troops to Kronshtadt in 1814 or, off to fight the Turks in1828?
    No Ed,
    Off to warmer sea's, the Mediterranean and into battles at Dardanelles and Mount Athos 1807 And smack the Turks. I hope to see off the odd Swed on the way.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Rory, I have a running rigging question for you. The Langton book and you both mention the fact that British ships rigged the mizzen mast differently than the rest of the world. My question is how did the US rig the mizzen mast having formerly been a British colony? Did they maintain the British manner or did they go with the rest of the world? Thanks!

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Jim,
    I do not know. My head said as the rest, or Rod Langton would have said. My heart would like to think as the British. We must not forget that the French had a big say in the make-up of the U.S. military at this time. I would rig as the rest of the world. Who said the British way was the best.
    Be safe
    Rory

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi All,
    If you have been with me from the start of this thread. You will know I started with one ship and finished with a second one. So to finish off this thread I have added the here the finished first ship.

Name:  Venera 48 001.JPG
Views: 621
Size:  603.9 KB

Name:  Venera 48 002.JPG
Views: 584
Size:  563.8 KB

Name:  Venera 48 003.JPG
Views: 620
Size:  389.9 KB

My wish is this thread will give you the push, to have a go yourself.
    Be safe
    Rory

My wish is this thread will give you the push, to have a go yourself.
    Be safe
    Rory
    As much as I enjoyed your post, with a bunch of ships to repair and eight under way, I need brakes, not gas.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

The only thing better than ships, is more ships. More gas!!

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

As much as I enjoyed your post, with a bunch of ships to repair and eight under way, I need brakes, not gas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    The only thing better than ships, is more ships. More gas!!
    BROOM! BROOM!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

BROOM! BROOM!
    What he said ^

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Todd

Oh my... The brass ratlines just arrived, so I hunted down this thread to see about rigging one of mine, and none of the pictures are loading for me. Have these images all been lost? That would be a great shame.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Try accessing the resurrected information via The Miniatures Page. Actually Vol has restored and linked them on his blog. It's almost done, but still some of the running rigging to go.

http://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/2...-guide-to.html
    http://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/2...ide-to_18.html
    http://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Michael

This article sounds very interesting. However, all I see of the images is a totally black box, I can only read the text. How do I see the images?

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by mdavis41 View Post
    This article sounds very interesting. However, all I see of the images is a totally black box, I can only read the text. How do I see the images?
    Hi Michael and Todd,
    Thanks for your interest in my thread. Alas all the photos were lost in the big hack. I have ask a number of times for it to be re done here. I have waited and had no reply so if you go to T.M.P. Napoleonic naval board, look for "Rory's Guide" it will take you to Vols blog of my Guide. or see Jim's post above yours.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 05-31-2014 at 15:51.

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Thijs

I ordered a handdrill and some .3mm drillbits so I can start with the rigging mayhem next week.
    Does somebody have the complete diagram from langton?
    That would be a great help in combination with rory's guide

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I ordered a handdrill and some .3mm drillbits so I can start with the rigging mayhem next week.
    Does somebody have the complete diagram from langton?
    That would be a great help in combination with rory's guide
    Thijs, Keith has a simple guide to masts and sails here, so along with Rory's guides you should be good to go. http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...mast-and-sails

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I imagine we'll see Rory's Guide back up here sometime after Origins. I know Keith has been working on several projects and some problems with the AA store. With Origins in less than two weeks, I think all hands are on that deck.

I finally got around to posting the 2nd half of Rory's running rigging guide on the blogsite if anyone is interested.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for the update Vol. I saw it on TMP too.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thank you, Vol. Rory created a very fine How To.