Thread: On this day 4 July - American Independence Day

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default On this day 4 July - American Independence Day

Instead of a brief summary, I thought this day should have a fuller treatment, so I have copied the following from http://www.history.com/topics/july-4th

The Birth of American Independence

When the initial battles in the Revolutionary War broke out in April 1775, few colonists desired complete independence from Great Britain, and those who did were considered radical. By the middle of the following year, however, many more colonists had come to favor independence, thanks to growing hostility against Britain and the spread of revolutionary sentiments such as those expressed in Thomas Paine's bestselling pamphlet "Common Sense," published in early 1776. On June 7, when the Continental Congress met at the Pennsylvania State House (later Independence Hall) in Philadelphia, the Virginia delegate Richard Henry Lee introduced a motion calling for the colonies' independence. Amid heated debate, Congress postponed the vote on Lee's resolution, but appointed a five-man committee--including Thomas Jefferson of Virginia, John Adams of Massachusetts, Roger Sherman of Connecticut, Benjamin Franklin of Pennsylvania and Robert R. Livingston of New York--to draft a formal statement justifying the break with Great Britain.

On July 2nd, the Continental Congress voted in favor of Lee's resolution for independence in a near-unanimous vote (the New York delegation abstained, but later voted affirmatively). On that day, John Adams wrote to his wife Abigail that July 2 "will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival" and that the celebration should include "Pomp and Parade...Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other." On July 4th, the Congress formally adopted the Declaration of Independence, which had been written largely by Jefferson. Though the vote for actual independence took place on July 2nd, from then on the 4th became the day that was celebrated as the birth of American independence.

Early Fourth of July Celebrations

In the pre-Revolutionary years, colonists had held annual celebrations of the king's birthday, which traditionally included the ringing of bells, bonfires, processions and speechmaking. By contrast, during the summer of 1776 some colonists celebrated the birth of independence by holding mock funerals for King George III, as a way of symbolizing the end of the monarchy's hold on America and the triumph of liberty. Festivities including concerts, bonfires, parades and the firing of cannons and muskets usually accompanied the first public readings of the Declaration of Independence, beginning immediately after its adoption. Philadelphia held the first annual commemoration of independence on July 4, 1777, while Congress was still occupied with the ongoing war. George Washington issued double rations of rum to all his soldiers to mark the anniversary of independence in 1778, and in 1781, several months before the key American victory at Yorktown, Massachusetts became the first state to make July 4th an official state holiday.

After the Revolutionary War, Americans continued to commemorate Independence Day every year, in celebrations that allowed the new nation's emerging political leaders to address citizens and create a feeling of unity. By the last decade of the 18th century, the two major political parties--Federalists and Democratic-Republicans--that had arisen began holding separate Independence Day celebrations in many large cities.

July 4th Becomes A National Holiday

The tradition of patriotic celebration became even more widespread after the War of 1812, in which the United States again faced Great Britain. In 1870, the U.S. Congress made July 4th a federal holiday; in 1941, the provision was expanded to grant a paid holiday to all federal employees. Over the years, the political importance of the holiday would decline, but Independence Day remained an important national holiday and a symbol of patriotism.

Falling in mid-summer, the Fourth of July has since the late 19th century become a major focus of leisure activities and a common occasion for family get-togethers, often involving fireworks and outdoor barbecues. The most common symbol of the holiday is the American flag, and a common musical accompaniment is "The Star-Spangled Banner," the national anthem of the United States.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

As I am not knowledgeable of similar dates for all of the other nations represented in this community, if you post when they are, I will do my best, during the remaining months of 2013, to ensure a similar post occurs on the given dates.

Cheers.

Well we have several, Federation Day Jan 1 1901 but not celebrated by anyone, Anzac Day (public holiday), Nov 11 (end of First World War- no public holiday, one minute silence at 11.00am in some places), and the closest to your Independence Day in terms of celebration is

Australia Day (previously known as Anniversary Day, Invasion Day, Foundation Day) is the official National Day of Australia. Celebrated on the 26 January, it commemorates the arrival of the First Fleet at Sydney Cove in NSW in 1788 and the proclamation at that time of British sovereignty over the eastern seaboard of Australia. Records of celebrations on 26 January date back to 1808, with the first official celebration of the formation of NSW held in 1818.

And where I live, Melbourne, we also get a public holiday for a horse race (!) on the first Tuesday in November, The Melbourne Cup.

Midshipman
    Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

On 4 July 1777, Captain John Paul Jones hoisted the first Stars and Stripes flag on board a Continental warship, the frigate Ranger, at Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
    To read more about USS Ranger, please click here:
    http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/r2/ranger-i.htm

Midshipman
    Brazil

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    As I am not knowledgeable of similar dates for all of the other nations represented in this community, if you post when they are, I will do my best, during the remaining months of 2013, to ensure a similar post occurs on the given dates.

Cheers.
    Eric,

I probably will be travelling at Brazil Independence Day, so I will not be able to post then, so...

Oficially, Brazil Independence Day is September the 7th. 1822.

Carlos...

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

We do not have an Independence Day in the United Kingdom.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    We do not have an Independence Day in the United Kingdom.
    Some Scots, Irish and Welsh would love to follow the American way. The one time we wanted Independence. Was from our Royal Family!!!!!!!!!
    Be safe
    Rory

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Some Scots, Irish and Welsh would love to follow the American way
    Heathrow is always there for them if they want

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Heathrow is always there for them if they want
    Who pays?
    Be safe
    Rory

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

When I decided I needed some independence from my parents and moved out I did it off my own bat....