Gregory Fremont-Barnes
    ISBN:
    978-1-84603-134-2
    Category:
    Reference
    Format:
    Paperback
    Summary:
    Victory vs Redoutable is part of Osprey's Duel series. The book is less about an actual duel between the two titled ships as it is about ship-of-the-line warfare and Trafalgar in general. The author begins by tracing the historical development of the ship-of-the-line, and then describes the rating system and ship components such as sails and masts, and provides a lengthy discussion on naval armament. He outlines the strategic situation surrounding Trafalgar, followed by a 27-page description of the day's combat, including a brief statistical analysis and summary of the aftermath of the battle.

There are paintings, drawings, and illustrations throughout the book, including biographies of the principle actors, whole page descriptive drawings of the Victory, different armaments, and gun firing.

I recommend this book to anyone looking for an introduction to ships-of-the-line or the Battle of Trafalgar. As mentioned previously, this book is not a sustained treatment of a duel. The author emphasizes naval armament, and as such, the book can serve as a primer on this topic.

I own this book, so if you ever need anything from it or others I have, please let me know. Other titles can be found in my photo albums - Age of Sail Library (non-fiction and fiction).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I finished rereading this today. For anyone who wants a quick primer on SoLs, this is a pretty decent book, with the usual high production value one would expect from Osprey. Off to the next duel book.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I finished rereading this today. For anyone who wants a quick primer on SoLs, this is a pretty decent book, with the usual high production value one would expect from Osprey. Off to the next duel book.
    I got this on sale when The Last Square closed their Madison store. It is an excellent book.