Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trafalgar anyone?

Default Trafalgar anyone?

I came across this picture of a battle I once ran using Figurehead 1/2400 ships. It was one of the biggest projects I have achieved.

It got me thinking about what ships we have available, and scenario's we could create with them.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  1.17 MB

Anyone recognize the classic maneuver?

I was thinking about scenarios that could be used with the existing ships available. Something the scale of Trafalgar would not be possible, of course, or would it?

Large ship battles of this sort tended to be a group of individual engagements, which could be fought independently, the results combined for the final outcome.

First, we should look at this battle as an overview and determine the contributing factors. How is it that a lesser force of 27 ships could overcome a larger force of 33 ships, with such a one sided victory.

Crew experience played a large role to the British advantage. A quick comparison of the navies reveal that Britain retained more of an active force than France, participating in blockade duties and more. The French on the other hand were greatly restricted in the freedom to maneuver. Their fleets remained in port the majority of the time and so lost the experienced crews. Spain had a lot of ordinance but had not actively engaged in campaigning, and as such lost the bulk of its experienced personnel over time. All the fleets were using 'Pressing' to provide more hands, though the English used comparatively few compared to France and Spain. The overall experience of the British crews were greater, as was evident in the gunnery and general handling of the ship. The ships captains were also more experienced in coordinated maneuvering with the fleet being on blockade duty for months at a time.

As a comparison of gunnery, the 27 British ships mounted a total of 2158 cannon, while the French alone mounted 2754. The Spanish added their 1270 for a combined total of 4024 cannon, almost twice the ordinance. The British counteracted this difference with a much higher rate of fire, sometimes as much as three times faster. In addition, Nelson's strategy was to concentrate his force in such a way as to deprive the enemy of a large portion of its fleet, cutting of the Van and attacking the center hard and fast before the remaining fleet could close.

Nelson also knew he had the advantage of having a very coordinated group of captains on which he could rely on to follow his instructions and to resort to independent action when opportunity arose. He estimated the chain of command of the combined French and Spanish fleet would be splintered and slow to act in cohesion. This was found to be as the British fleet closed, the French and Spanish were not synchronized in their actions resulting in the fleet spreading and losing its line integrity. This provided the gaps that Nelson was looking for and increased the delay of the enemy reaction.

The bravery of all who were involved is without question. This was a terrible battle, some ships so locked together the guns could not be run out fully, but were still discharged into the enemy hull. The majority of the concussion released inside the enemy hull. And yet they continued to fight. This was a different age, one of iron men.

The British practice of firing at the hull and reduce the fighting ability of the enemy proved to be more affective in the end. The casualties recorded are a good indicator just how affective. The British dead tallied 452 and 1144 wounded, while the French and Spanish numbered over 2600 dead and wounded. Over 4400 were captured.

Coming back to the idea of individual scenarios, looking at the picture above, you can clearly see individual groupings of ships which could be worked into several mini battles.

Using this as a backdrop, I would be willing to bet we have some very creative minds that could come up with a way to do this.

Please share your thoughts.

Also, be sure to check out David Manley's 'Disaster at Trafalgar'. It is awesome.
    Last edited by Cpt Kangaroo; 06-27-2013 at 05:54.

There are three individual points that first come to mind.

1. As the Victory and the northern column closed with the Santisima Trinidad, ending up breaking the line between the Bucentaure and the Redoutable.
    2. The Royal Sovereign closing with the Santa Ana and the Fougueux.
    3. The chase after the main engagement of several surviving French and Spanish ships, one in tow, by 5 British ships, all mostly unscathed.

The problem with this sort of scenario is the limitation of scope.

For the first two, a frigate could be used to mark the northern boundary of the action, though would not be part of the battle, and the same for the southern boundary.

The chase would be easier to reconstruct.

Now all we need is starting positions and some clear objectives.

At this point we should probably create 3 new threads, one for each scenario.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Kangaroo View Post
    At this point we should probably create 3 new threads, one for each scenario.
    Sounds like you guys are making some progress. Would those threads be best in the mission or campaign discussions area of the forum?

I have set some space aside in the missions forum....

http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...REAKS-THE-LINE

http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...THE-ENEMY-LINE

http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...of-3-THE-CHASE

More information to come as this project takes form.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Large ship battles of this sort tended to be a group of individual engagements, which could be fought independently, the results combined for the final outcome.
    Some did, but most were fought in fairly strict linear fashion (and were frequently inconclusive as a result). Battles fought in that style won't translate well to SOG unless the teams of players are well drilled.

But some actions dd go that way. In fact at the Naval Wargames Weekend these last few days the "Inshore Squadron" group (Mark Barker's chums) split the battle of Camperdown into two actions and did just as you suggest. The result was rather good.

Good point David, perhaps replacing the word 'engagements' with 'significant points' in the battle which affect the whole.

Camper down would be another good example, where Cape Finisterre would not, due to its linear progression.

One of the notable features of Trafalgar is that Nelson broke convention and avoided the old line concept.

This is why we should be able to piece out some of the segments, small enough to recreate to some extent, with existing ships that will soon be available.

The first rates will be a problem of course, but there should be a way to substitute.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Camperdown_1.PNG

http://www.antiquaprintgallery.com/s...p-148282-p.asp
    Last edited by Cpt Kangaroo; 06-27-2013 at 13:02. Reason: Adding links

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

When it comes to historical reenactments, how willing are folks to explore what-if scenarios - I've not played any, so I don't know how open such players normally are? If players are open to such things, one could take a traditional line battle, and create a few breaks in the line that would end up as separate, smaller, battles, seeing what could have happened had the battle gone that way.

In the Glorious First of June engagement, the British tried to cut through the French line, though it didn't quite work as planned. However, several smaller duels erupted as ships separated from their respective lines/squadrons.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

I have always started with the good attention to keep the to the lines etc. But most battles end up a mess. The only ones that don't are the chase ones. But they to have a messy bit or two.
    Be safe
    Rory

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

One of the mega "Close Action" games I played in with about 40 others featured one team who were well drilled in linear tactics, the other was a mass of individuals. Discipline won the day as the line quickly and efficiently shot the disorganised singletons and small groups to pieces. It was a telling engagement!

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    One of the mega "Close Action" games I played in with about 40 others featured one team who were well drilled in linear tactics, the other was a mass of individuals. Discipline won the day as the line quickly and efficiently shot the disorganised singletons and small groups to pieces. It was a telling engagement!
    I would hope I would be on the "well drilled" side . But sometimes I think, "I know best." so may end up in the "Disorganised" side. I must control myself.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    When it comes to historical reenactments, how willing are folks to explore what-if scenarios - I've not played any, so I don't know how open such players normally are? If players are open to such things, one could take a traditional line battle, and create a few breaks in the line that would end up as separate, smaller, battles, seeing what could have happened had the battle gone that way.

In the Glorious First of June engagement, the British tried to cut through the French line, though it didn't quite work as planned. However, several smaller duels erupted as ships separated from their respective lines/squadrons.
    Does any reenactment of the Battle of Trafalgar ever really alter the final outcome of a British victory? I do recall someone here saying that one battle they had did not go well for the British, but it would seem in general that their superior training and use of different tactics doomed the French/Spanish.

What if scenarios would be especially appealing to me if they didn't focus so much on the massive battle, but on events that might have happened leading up to it but did not. And I don't mean far fetched events, maybe the impact of weather, arrival of other ships, etc. Or, what has been suggested here, focus on smaller engagements that might have changed the larger battle if they'd gone differently?

On the other hand I sure hope someone in the community can take SoG and give us some options to do larger engagements if/when we get enough of the right ships? I also hope we don't have to wait too long before we see nations beyond the British and French.

(disclaimer on my rambling above. I'm typing on a laptop in a hotel in Milwaukee, before the big N Scale model railroad show kicks off tomorrow)

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Does any reenactment of the Battle of Trafalgar ever really alter the final outcome of a British victory? I do recall someone here saying that one battle they had did not go well for the British, but it would seem in general that their superior training and use of different tactics doomed the French/Spanish.
    That would be me, reporting on the recent British "disaster" at the Staines club, and brought about due to a combination of bad planning, over-confidence and over-reach. In general Trafalgar, like Tsushima, ends up as a victory for the historically victorious side as long as the circumstances of the battle regarding crew quality, morale, weather etc. are represented. Again, like Tsushima, if you ignore those factors the historical victors often come off second best (as again I experienced in a game recently). In both cases Nelson and Tojo based their battle plans on what they knew about their enemies' capabilities. Against different foes they'd have planned differently.

Until we were able to finally collect enough ships to recreate entire fleet engagements, we were only able to create 'What ifs' of various situations. Usually island campaigns which could range from singe ship actions to small fleets of various ship types. I think these have been some of the most memorable games I have played. The recreation of the large battles seem so structured, quite often you are doomed to repeat history.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Until we were able to finally collect enough ships to recreate entire fleet engagements, we were only able to create 'What ifs' of various situations. Usually island campaigns which could range from singe ship actions to small fleets of various ship types. I think these have been some of the most memorable games I have played. The recreation of the large battles seem so structured, quite often you are doomed to repeat history.
    Hi All,
    I cannot see how, without lots of changes. You are talking of 27 British, 18 French and 15 Spanish Ships of Line at Trafalgar. That is a lot of ships logs, with hundreds and hundreds of chips/tokens.
    How many ships logs can one player control. I played two ships O.K. I maybe able to do four logs if no one gets in the way or knocks the chips/tokens off the log. If (as I have said before) you use write and wipe logs, I think you could use more ships. I have done 13 ships with no problem, O.K. on one or two occasions writing damage on the wrong log. Also when we played SOG, we did not have fire or sail damage or diffident ammo's chips/tokens.
    Would you have all the chips/tokens in one bag for each range. Or divide them into two (sides) or more e.g. squadrons, North-South, East-West, 1/2, 1/4 or Allies? Lastly one movement card deck for each ship? That is the bad bit. With a lot of thought to could be done. David start writing
    Be safe
    Rory

Thanks for the insight Rory. I think it should be possible to do this in small chunks, between 4 - 8 a side. When I ran the Trafalgar scenario pictured above, there were 8 players and I was GM. Believe it or not, we reached a conclusion after about 5 hours of Play. It did play out close to the original event, with the British taking control of the battle.

Now, as you described the issues above, it remains to be seen how well SOG will handle large battles.

For now, we have to think up limited engagements that will work with existing ships available.

There will have to be some creative adaptations.
    Last edited by Cpt Kangaroo; 06-29-2013 at 17:08.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Thanks for the insight Rory. I think it should be possible to do this in small chunks, between 4 - 8 a side. When I ran the Trafalgar scenario pictured above, there were 8 players and I was GM. Believe it or not, we reached a conclusion after about 5 hours of Play. It did play out close to the original event, with the British taking control of the battle.

Now, as you described the issues above, it remains to be seen how well SOG will handle large battles.

For now, we have to think up limited engagements that will work with existing ships available.

There will have to be some creative adaptations.
    Hi Erin,
    Its not the number of ships. You, I and many others have played big fleet games. Its the mechanism of the game. I loved playing SOG, it was great fun. I just can not see it working as it stands with large fleet games. I hope I'm wrong! I feel SOG will need lots of tinkering with to work a Trafalgar etc. type game. What rules did you use in you game?
    Be safe
    Rory

Rory, we were using a rule set I had written called Trafalgar 1805, funny enough.
    It would be considered a simplified version of WS&IM, tweaked for this particular battle.
    I had some thoughts about some of the issues you described.
    Printed logs for a one time use is one necessity. When damage is taken it is logged and after the turn, all damage tokens are returned to the bag.
    Regarding the movement cards, I am not sure how unique each ship is with regards to maneuverability. At one convention I ran a large WOG game with about 13 players and 4 A/C types. We used only two maneuver decks, each marked with the maneuver value and card number in large black marker. (Horror!) I made printed sheets with the maneuvers for each deck, numbered, so all the player had to do is select a chip with the right number and place it face down. We also chose a new chip after each move. It worked well and there seemed to be no issue with sharing the movement deck. We didn't get the cards mixed up either. Perhaps this would work with SOG.
    Tweaking will be a necessity for sure if we ever get to that level of game play.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Erin,
    When I played SOG there were 4 ships and 4 decks of movement cards. 2 SOL and 2 Frigates. Each deck was marked A, B, C and D. I could not see the British cards, but there was a big diffident in the French Frigate and the SOL rightly so. It looks that Ares are planning more decks for each class or name of ship, not rate. That is a lot of decks of cards if they do that. O.K. for bigger scales but not for 1-1200 ooops 1-1000.
    I have played Forge Worlds "Aeronautica" It has 12 movement cards. slow planes do not use all the cards, the faster the plane the more cards it can use. I to have one deck not cut into cards but kept as work-sheet and a deck to play with for each side. The cards are numbered, you write your move order for each plane each turn. Maybe if you had a set of cards for each rate 1st & 2nd,- 3rd,- 4th,- 5th & 6th,- and non-rated. That may work, but it still could be up to 5 movement decks per side. The Russians and Swedish fleets use smaller 4th rate ships in the line as well as the bigger ships. I have not added rowing ships to the list.
    You can not put the chips/tokens back in the pot/bag after use, (in the game they go on the ships log) it would up set the % chance of hits and misses. The more ships you play the more the % chance changes. More hits or misses per turn, as you would add more chips/tokens to the pot/bag. The long range chips/tokens have a lot of "0" in them in a small game. If we had 8 ships in the game that would add a lots more of "0" to the pot/bag and a lot of High hits too. at short/close range you could fire 7 chips/tokens. 7 high numbers could destroy your ship in one turn. Or 7 "0" would make you pull your hair out. On some chips/tokens you have extra damage Fires, crew and sails. the game would lose its balance the more chips/tokens you use (more ships).
    You could laminate the ships log and mark the log and put the used chips/tokens in a "Used Chip/Token Pot/Bag" we had around 12 to 20 piles of chips/tokens on the ship log cards. Ship and crew damage lines most had 1 to 3 chips/tokens on them by the end of the game but some had 6. Plus a big pile of the misses, plus loaded or fired chips/tokens for Port and Starboard guns. We did not use fires, change of sails or sail damage rules (more chips/tokens). O.K. NO pens, paper or sums. very good. If they sold rules, logs and chips/tokens only game I would buy it tomorrow (Sorry! too much time and money spent on my ships). Its a great game for [U]small actions[U] for the large fleet action it would need more than a tweak!
    Be safe
    Rory
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 06-29-2013 at 22:42.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

For those of you with experience playing large fleet actions, how long does a Trafalgar-sized game usually take? Do you have trouble finding individuals who will commit to lengthy games? How many players, using the SoG system, do you think is needed to effectively and efficiently play such a sizable game?

I am asking because I wonder if I could pull off such a game at a local convention without significant recruiting ahead of time, or if such a game should be kept for a dedicated day; I know folks who like to play as many different types of games as they can when attending conventions, and, therefore, might not be willing to set aside the required time. Your thoughts are appreciated.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Eric,
    You know me and what I think. Put that to one side. I do not think SOG will play a big fleet action. Do the front ships of one of the British column's hitting a part of the Allies line. 4 SOL a side. 2 ships each or less if you get more players. do the basic game and have fun. You will, I did. You may wish to add some ghost ships (not playing the game. just to get in the way of moving and firing).
    Be safe
    Rory

Eric,

If you are brave enough to take on a battle such as Trafalgar, make sure you have tried a dry run before the main event, with players you know and are flexible.

How many player? My call would be at least 8.
    Some suggestions:
    Enlist the help of an assistant GM
    Practice time keeping, 5 mins to select movement, 5 minutes to make the moves. The resolving fire etc should only take 5-10 mins. This will allow at least 15 moves in a 5 hour session.
    Have a clear objective point to call the game in place.
    Have prewritten objective notes for each force.

Rory has been sharing some good insights regarding SOG, so the linked scenarios of 'Battle Segments' above seem to be the best approach with this game.

They are still a work in progress, but here are the links:

http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...REAKS-THE-LINE

http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...THE-ENEMY-LINE

http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...of-3-THE-CHASE

I am sure there are many out there who have attempted large scenarios and could share some interesting stories.
    Last edited by Cpt Kangaroo; 06-29-2013 at 23:05.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

For those of you with experience playing large fleet actions, how long does a Trafalgar-sized game usually take?
    The Trafalgar game I recently played in took about 4 hours (although we were't hurrying) and I've done Traf on a long club night before. BUT that was with "Form Line of Battle" which is a very quick playing set of rules. I would guess at 6-8 hours for SOG and somewhere in the region of 12 players as a minimum, probably longer.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

For those of you with experience playing large fleet actions, how long does a Trafalgar-sized game usually take? Do you have trouble finding individuals who will commit to lengthy games? How many players, using the SoG system, do you think is needed to effectively and efficiently play such a sizable game?

I am asking because I wonder if I could pull off such a game at a local convention without significant recruiting ahead of time, or if such a game should be kept for a dedicated day; I know folks who like to play as many different types of games as they can when attending conventions, and, therefore, might not be willing to set aside the required time. Your thoughts are appreciated.
    If you ever GM/Host such a game within a few hours driving distance of Madison, WI I'd certainly make an effort to attend. It's going to be very exciting to see what folks come up with once the game hits the streets.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hey Folks, thanks for the input. If I am looking at 8-12 players for 6+ hours, it would have to be a day set for such an event in which I advertise/recruit a month or two in advance. This is quite possible, I believe. I have recently been introduced to a central Illinois war-game group that plays different historical minis, and there are folks who meet for Illinois/Wisconsin WoG scrambles, some of whom are awaiting SoG. If I bill a day's event where people understand upfront what the day would entail, and we have plans for lunch, etc., I believe I could secure the numbers. I seriously doubt I could arrange such an event for a local con, though - most of what I have seen has a fantasy element.

I think I will shoot for a day in the spring, and Jim, we could look at Rockford. This will give folks time to get the game and play for awhile. I imagine by spring, there would be many of us who would like to try a large-scale battle, given that most of us will only have done small scale engagements before then, at least with SoG. Erin, I like the timed regiment suggestions. If it becomes apparent that SoG is too cumbersome for a large-scale event, I am very open to exploring a different system, such as David's; in fact, I am open to trying different systems, regardless.

Some of you have responded, also, to previous requests for GM advice or sharing of your experience. It is reassuring to have such a community to tap into, and not to have be the sole font of wisdom. I truly appreciate your help.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hey Folks, thanks for the input. If I am looking at 8-12 players for 6+ hours, it would have to be a day set for such an event in which I advertise/recruit a month or two in advance. This is quite possible, I believe. I have recently been introduced to a central Illinois war-game group that plays different historical minis, and there are folks who meet for Illinois/Wisconsin WoG scrambles, some of whom are awaiting SoG. If I bill a day's event where people understand upfront what the day would entail, and we have plans for lunch, etc., I believe I could secure the numbers. I seriously doubt I could arrange such an event for a local con, though - most of what I have seen has a fantasy element.

I think I will shoot for a day in the spring, and Jim, we could look at Rockford. This will give folks time to get the game and play for awhile. I imagine by spring, there would be many of us who would like to try a large-scale battle, given that most of us will only have done small scale engagements before then, at least with SoG. Erin, I like the timed regiment suggestions. If it becomes apparent that SoG is too cumbersome for a large-scale event, I am very open to exploring a different system, such as David's; in fact, I am open to trying different systems, regardless.

Some of you have responded, also, to previous requests for GM advice or sharing of your experience. It is reassuring to have such a community to tap into, and not to have be the sole font of wisdom. I truly appreciate your help.
    Sounds good to me, Eric. Gives me plenty of time to fancy up some of the SoG ships too. That way if I fail at game play (which is quite likely) perhaps I can wow them with the visuals?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Jim, you have already wowed. It will be awesome to see how you enhance the Ares minis. I look forward to seeing your work in person.

You can, but it really depends on the rules as David and others have noted. I have seen large fleets actions that bog down and nothing moves for hours, and others that conclude in 4 hours. I have run Camperdown, The Nile and Copenhagen using "Fire as She Bears" rules at conventions with 6-8 players over about 4-5 hours. Granted in the latter two only one side was moving!

Eric

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Actually, I have a thread about Trafalgar, and what sculpts are missing for it... I kind of assumed that to one degree or another this particular battle was going to be part of what SGN was built around.

We're basically missing sculpts for...
    Rating British Combined French Combined Spanish
    1 covered none present Santa Ana 112: Santa Ana, Principe de Asturias
    Rayo 100: Rayo
    2 Neptune 98: HMS's Neptune, Temeraire, Dreadnought
    London 98: HMS Prince
    none none
    3 ex-FR Tonnant 80: HMS Tonnant
    Canada 74: HMS Orion
    Ajax 74: HMS Ajax [Slade 74?]
    Colossus 74: HMS Colossus
    Courageux 74: HMS's Leviathan, Minotaur
    Mars 74: HMS Mars
    Swiftsure 74: HMS Swiftsure
    one-off 74 HMS Conqueror 1801
    one-off 74 HMS Revenge 1805
    Intrepid 64: HMS Polyphemus
    Inflexible 64: HMS Africa
    Ardent 64: HMS Agamemnon
    Tonnant 80: Formidable, Indomptable
    Bucentaure 80: Bucentaure, Neptune
    ex-SP Intrepido 74: L'Intrepide
    Montanes 80: Montanes, Monarca, Neptuno
    one-off 80 Argonauta
    San Ildefonso 74: San Ildefonso, Bahama
    4 none Coquille 40: Themis none
    5 Apollo 36: HMS Euryalus
    Phoebe 36: HMS Phoebe
    Sirius 36: HMS Sirius
    none none
    Unrated unk 8-gun schooner: HMS Pickle
    ex-FR unk 10-gun cutter Entreprenante
    Abeille 16/18-gun brig: Furet
    Vigilant 16-gun brig: Argus
    none
    Note: classes and near-sisters already mentioned for Wave 2 and future Special Packs (Santisima Trinidad) have been omitted, full table is at http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...ttle-Trafalgar
    Last edited by Diamondback; 07-03-2013 at 14:21. Reason: add missing sculpts table

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    You can not put the chips/tokens back in the pot/bag after use, (in the game they go on the ships log) it would up set the % chance of hits and misses. The more ships you play the more the % chance changes. More hits or misses per turn, as you would add more chips/tokens to the pot/bag. The long range chips/tokens have a lot of "0" in them in a small game. If we had 8 ships in the game that would add a lots more of "0" to the pot/bag and a lot of High hits too. at short/close range you could fire 7 chips/tokens. 7 high numbers could destroy your ship in one turn. Or 7 "0" would make you pull your hair out. On some chips/tokens you have extra damage Fires, crew and sails. the game would lose its balance the more chips/tokens you use (more ships).
    This was a very good point and it is not the first time I have come across the subject. I think this is a great subject to explore.

The long range and short range chips would have to be kept separate.

We are familiar with how the WoG game works, and I have seen many variations on how the damage cards are used. The most 'Stable' method statistically speaking is when the cards are drawn through the turn and replaced at the end. The damage is recorded by chips rather than keeping the cards.

In SoG, this seems a lot more difficult, although the damage is not kept secret. The statistical odds are going to change with each scenario and the number of ships used. Plus, there will be additional damage tokens to add to the whole, again changing the mix.

Are the additional chips provided in the same ratio as the starter set and other ships?

If dice were being used, the odds each time damage was inflicted would be constant.

So, is using 'marking, chips and replacing the actual damage chips to the pile possible? Or are we messing up the odds and skewing the game results.

Do we have any Statisticians out there that would care to comment?
    Last edited by Cpt Kangaroo; 07-30-2013 at 19:48.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

From a statistical POV the whole "drawing chits" thing is rather screwy. The probabilities of achieving various levels of damage are independent events and should not be modified by what has gone before. With a card or chit drawing system this happens by default. The "purest" way of correcting tbis is to use dice to determine damage, and I have seen that used to good effect in large WoW games. The next best way is to draw cards or chits, record damage and then return the cards or chits to the pot for immediate use. I've also seen that , or a variant where cards/chits are returned at the end of a turn.

This has come up before. Andrea and others recognise the compromise. For regular games (I would guess 99.9% of games played) its either something the players are not really aware of, or a compromise that they/we are willing to make for the sake of playability and fun. I'm aware of it, I know the stats are screwy, but from a playing POV I'm OK with it. Its just a game that I'm playing for fun with others, after all.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

From a statistical POV the whole "drawing chits" thing is rather screwy. The probabilities of achieving various levels of damage are independent events and should not be modified by what has gone before. With a card or chit drawing system this happens by default. The "purest" way of correcting tbis is to use dice to determine damage, and I have seen that used to good effect in large WoW games. The next best way is to draw cards or chits, record damage and then return the cards or chits to the pot for immediate use. I've also seen that , or a variant where cards/chits are returned at the end of a turn.

This has come up before. Andrea and others recognise the compromise. For regular games (I would guess 99.9% of games played) its either something the players are not really aware of, or a compromise that they/we are willing to make for the sake of playability and fun. I'm aware of it, I know the stats are screwy, but from a playing POV I'm OK with it. Its just a game that I'm playing for fun with others, after all.
    Thanks for your input David,
    I was not putting the game down. You know more about SOG than me. I stand in your shadow on naval rules. So how many ships do you think you could you play with, with SOG before the game becomes too screwy? I must say again, Thank you for the game at Gosport, which I enjoyed.
    Be safe
    Rory

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I plugged the _WoG_ results into this: http://heavymetalpro.com/RUS_Features.htm ; an index card can serve as a "control panel".

David, I appreciate the input and you are on the money to the point I am trying to make. The goal of this thread is to recreate some of the portions of the battle of Trafalgar, and how well will this new system handle the sheer volume of activity.

It may be, that if an alternate method of generating and logging damage could be developed, it could help with a large scenario, and keep the damage ratio steady.

The first step would have to be to determine what percentage each aspect of damage would be as a part of the whole. Until we have at least one batch of damage chips available, such as in the starter set, we cannot know what the ratio would be. After that, once the numbers are known, it can be kept constant, maybe even using dice.

All this is premature, and may be moot once we see the game in action.

Rory, thanks for clarifying that this is not to find fault, but to achieve larger scenarios.
    Last edited by Cpt Kangaroo; 07-31-2013 at 19:10.

Chris, I am interested in your link, but call me muddle headed, I followed the link and didn't see what you are showing us. Could you walk us through a little?

Does this generate and individual card that can be written on to record damage?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Chris, I am interested in your link, but call me muddle headed, I followed the link and didn't see what you are showing us. Could you walk us through a little?

Does this generate and individual card that can be written on to record damage?
    I fear not -- it's a Random Number Generator.

First, one writes out the possible results, and the number of instances of same, in Notepad; then one saves the file where the RUS can find it. When one needs results quickly, one tells the program how many results to generate, and it does so. (I'd provide a detailed example, but my copy is on the other computer.)

This can lead to "impossible" results (two or more instances of a chit which only exists once), and it doesn't allow for the fact that a drawn chit is removed from subsequent draws; but it does allow large-scale actions like the one proposed to be handled without running out of chits.

I had looked at some of those types of programs in iTunes, and you are right, the Achilles heel to them are the special damages which would not be included.

Plus the "impossible" results you mention.

I think because of that the chips have to be used, so then the method of recording becomes the focus. (Back to replacing the used chips in the bag. )
    Last edited by Cpt Kangaroo; 08-02-2013 at 09:42. Reason: typo

Midshipman
    Scotland

Log Entries
    Name
    Gaz

I would imagine that not long after we get our "goodies" the "files" section on the forum will get filled with useful items such as "Damage chits".
    For me (if I understand the potential problem) the solution will then be use two or more sets of chits for large games, one (or more) for use on the damage boards and the other to be used only for drawing from the bags and then returned to the bag. Just print them on different coloured card to avoid confusion.

(Colour, Color meh...)

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Another option would be to photocopy the damage track on the ship card and cross off damage as it occurs

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I anticipate once we have played for awhile that we'll see member-developed ship logs etc. appear. I, for one, will want something that is con friendly in terms of table bumps, the ability to walk around with card in hand, etc. That probably means dry/wet markers and laminated cards, or some such things.

I think, too, once we have some playing experience, we'll see additional discussions about damage probabilities. I am inclined toward replacement (for non-con games), but I do want the materials in hand to think through Rory's comments. It would be nice to have a set of designer notes about the damage chits here, and the damage decks in WoG, to see how they came up with the ratio of numbers and special damages.

Exciting times ahead.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I had looked at some of those types of programs in iTunes, and you are right, the Achilles heel to them are the special damages which would not be included.
    Special damage is included easily enough -- one has to have a separate line in the file for "damage plus critical" as opposed to "damage"; for ex.: When transcribing the _WoG_ WW1 decks, I had one line for "0", one for "0 (green jam)" and one for "0 (red jam)". The main program did the rest.

For "impossible results": Hit the button again until one gets "possible" results. :)

I'm already planning the index cards for handling damage.

Just a thought, if an iPad/Pod/Phone app could be developed called WoG Dice, I for one would buy two.

Anyone out there an App developer?

With over 1200 backers as a starting pool of players, there is some potential there.

I anticipate once we have played for awhile that we'll see member-developed ship logs etc. appear. I, for one, will want something that is con friendly in terms of table bumps, the ability to walk around with card in hand, etc. That probably means dry/wet markers and laminated cards, or some such things.
    I have used heavy packing tape cut in a strip the size needed over the boxes to be filled in. Dry erase works great in it and removes the markings easily and is very durable. It is a very inexpensive option.

I It would be nice to have a set of designer notes about the damage chits here, and the damage decks in WoG, to see how they came up with the ratio of numbers and special damages.
    I just remembered I have a pristine set of A and B damage cards for WoW which I will have to dig out and look over. I can log the ratio so we can look it over as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I'm already planning the index cards for handling damage.
    Are you posting this on the WoG site already? I am keen to see what you have developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz67 View Post
    I would imagine that not long after we get our "goodies" the "files" section on the forum will get filled with useful items such as "Damage chits".
    For me (if I understand the potential problem) the solution will then be use two or more sets of chits for large games, one (or more) for use on the damage boards and the other to be used only for drawing from the bags and then returned to the bag. Just print them on different coloured card to avoid confusion.

(Colour, Color meh...)
    Gaz, thanks for the reminder, we will be getting more than one set, plus if what I suspect is true, each ship pack will have additional chips.

I think I now have a new use for all those gold tokens from the Wizkids Pirates game. They would make great marking chips. Hmmmmm.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  452.3 KB
    Last edited by Cpt Kangaroo; 08-03-2013 at 12:03.

Great idea Erin, I have plenty of those markers to use as well.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Erin that is a good use of stuff many of us have piles of laying around. I was thinking of using the detachable sails and masts from Wizkids in a situation where the mast gets blown off but it's location, currents and possible attachments play a roll in the course of the battle.

Name:  Pir_0004.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  39.7 KB

Paul, I hadn't considered the masts as markers. Mounted on a dark blue base would look nice. Quick to do as well. I will be digging out some of that stuff and give it a try.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Are you posting this on the WoG site already? I am keen to see what you have developed.
    Not yet -- at them moment, the index card is just that: a plain 3"x5" index card, with all the relevant data written on it, and space for marking damage. The _SoG_ cards look as tho' they'll require a bit more work, given how the damage system works; but I think it can still be done.

The packing-tape suggestion might also work -- I haven't tried it myself, so I'll give it a shot (so to speak).

Apps: The SO is working on Android apps in her Copious Free Time -- I shall prod her in this direction. :)

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi All,
    The more ships, the more chits you need! Re-read David's post 31# on this thread. You would have to use one bag/cup per number of ships to keep it from going as David say's too screwy. The more chits you have will change the out-come of the game.
    Be safe
    Rory