Thread: Zvesda Age of Sail

Default Zvesda Age of Sail

Some tantalising pictures from Origins of Zvesda's game on the grogheads site

http://grogheads.com/

Midshipman
    Brazil

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

By the photos it seems that Zvesda had a lot of games for sale.

I didn't know they produced so many games. The components seems top notch, does anyone knows if the rules are good ?
    Last edited by calm; 06-20-2013 at 12:02. Reason: Clarity

I think the Age of Sail is not out yet. The Samurai game has been out for some and has I think several rules sets for simple games or more advanced rules entirely different to the simple system for more advanced games.

The simple system uses the Command and Colors rules basics, similar to Memoir 44 and the game action is card driven. The more advanced system uses preplanned moves with simultaneous implementation by each player and I think it doesn't use the cards.

See http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1...amurai-battles

The miniatures are really well done for this series and they have released multiple add on sets to expand the figure variety all of which are nicely made if a little expensive. The ranking given by members of the boardgamegeek community who have played it are uniformly strong suggesting a solid game. There is no entry for the Age of Sail game yet so I suspect few have played it. I wonder if any of the guys who went to Origins had a chance to look it over?

Zooming the back of the box that is visible it does mention the Command & Colors system and one other that is not readable. So it appears this game can be played with a simple card driven movement/action sequence or a more complex one probably with pre-plotting. The ships are mounted on two solid hexagons to match the hexes of the board, which is made up of geomorphic parts (similar to Ironclads in concept and shading for shoals, water depth, land etc). The movement system in the simple game probably has a passing salute to real effects of wind direction but in the more advanced rules it would become relevant.

I don't think that box is Age of Sail though, it's probably the Samurai game.

The miniatures look gorgeous. From the size and look it seems like a 1:1 system that focuses even more on individual ships than Sails of Glory.

Ralf I thought the same but looking at the other pictures on the site the game next to Age of Sail was Oil War I think and that is what appears to be behind the box. Very hard to tell with so little to go on. Hopefully the Origins attendees will tell us more.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I have seen this also posted on Miniaturetrading.com. It looks interesting but how does it play is what I want to know?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Their games certainly look interesting and the miniature ships are very attractive.

Zvesda had a presence at GenCon 2012 and I thought I'd seen they were sponsors for GenCon 2013? However, they're not listed on the dealers hall map so I don't know what's going on with the show coming up? Hopefully, they'll be partnering at another vendor setup. I'd like to check out their products in person.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Zvesda had a fairly decent size presence at Origins. They had quite a few games out as well as models of tanks, etc. Their prices for WWII minis seemed pretty reasonable, and the detail wasn't bad for gaming pieces. I think they will continue to grow.

Interesting. From the looks of the miniature the game may be set in the Spanish Armada period (late 16th-early 17th c.). I agree it looks more for ship to ship than fleet actions.

Eric

I have the Samurai Battles game and it comes with two rule sets in the game and all the items to play...dice, cards board and scenery peices. I am very impressed with Svezda as a game developer. The quality is excellent and it seems very well designed. Plus, there is great expansion oportunities. I had not seen this game, though I have no doubt of it being of the same category. It looks to be more of a skirmish level game, with some pirate level tie in, but I can't be sure. I will definately be looking into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Kangaroo View Post
    I have the Samurai Battles game and it comes with two rule sets in the game and all the items to play...dice, cards board and scenery peices. I am very impressed with Svezda as a game developer. The quality is excellent and it seems very well designed. Plus, there is great expansion oportunities. I had not seen this game, though I have no doubt of it being of the same category. It looks to be more of a skirmish level game, with some pirate level tie in, but I can't be sure. I will definately be looking into it.
    I'd thought about getting the Samurai Battles game as something to run at conventions. Everything about it seemed very well done. The one issue I had was that the minis seemed like they might not be suitable for lots of less careful handling. What are your thoughts on their durability?

Actually, I used some open trays and really just dump them in, they seem to stand up to the abuse. Not as forgiving as softer plastics, but more durable than you would think. Also, and this is my favorite, you can buy replacement/expansion figs for very little.
    I am not generally a fan of 1/72 scale these days, my eyes aren't as young as they used to be. But these are quite decent.
    Be prepared for some assembly time, but I found this quite enjoyable as a project.
    My plan is to use the same rule set but use my 28mm gear so I can see.
    I played it this way with Richard Borg, the author when he was developing the Command and Colors portion of the game. It was a lot more visually stimulating.
    I have the figs already, so why not?

Actually, I used some open trays and really just dump them in, they seem to stand up to the abuse. Not as forgiving as softer plastics, but more durable than you would think. Also, and this is my favorite, you can buy replacement/expansion figs for very little.
    I am not generally a fan of 1/72 scale these days, my eyes aren't as young as they used to be. But these are quite decent.
    Be prepared for some assembly time, but I found this quite enjoyable as a project.
    My plan is to use the same rule set but use my 28mm gear so I can see.
    I played it this way with Richard Borg, the author when he was developing the Command and Colors portion of the game. It was a lot more visually stimulating.
    I have the figs already, so why not?
    It's funny you should mention the assembly time. When I was reading reviews, several genuinely complained about the volume of minis. I was thinking to myself...They're complaining that they got a good deal with lots of stuff. Ooooh, my Corvette has 50 more horsepower than I expected...I hate it!

This is how I have stored the figs for the Samurai Battles game.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  1.41 MB

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Erin, I was looking at this game recently. How do you like it? It is easier for me to introduce gaming to potential players with games like these - I think, initially, the visuals might be more welcoming than hex-maps and counters.

Yes, I like the Command and Colors version primarily.

The eye candy approach is the most successful in my opinion. When I began gaming in the early 70's, Avalon Hill was state of the art.
    It was very hard to get people interested in chips on a board that looked very complex.

One of the first things I did was convert Airfix ships onto a grid for the visual affect. There was sooo much more interest in it then.

The same for a game about 20 years ago called Battle Master, which was an assemble before play type game. I still see them around being used as an introductory game.

Svezda seems to have hit a niche with their figs tied into a game system.

I believe this to be a great introduction type game to both modeling and playing the period.

This is also why 'Wings of Glory' is so appealing to me, and now the Sails of Glory. They are perfect for an introductory experience, plus you can make it more complex.

Command and Colors is a fun, quick to learn game with a lot of visual appeal. The 'Art of Tactic' set of rules are more complex and detailed with a logging system. I haven't had the opportunity the play this yet, but it is well designed and laid out.

This new 'Age of Sail' game also looks very intriguing as an introductory level game.

We are so lucky to have as much available to us these days.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

We are so lucky to have as much available to us these days.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I came back to gaming sometime within the last two years, and I figured it was probably dead, having given way to video games - the only games I see friends' children playing. So I started to purchase the AH games, all of which I used to own, on ebay. Then I discovered BGG. I was amazed that gaming was not only dead, but had evolved into something far grander than what we had in the '70s. I bought a couple of GMT games, and was highly impressed by the production quality and the development to rule mechanics. At Origins this year, Bob (BBSuds) and I were introduced to a WWII tactical system (http://academy-games.com/games/conflict-of-heroes) that took game mechanics to a new level. We walked away with bags in hand. Yes, we are so lucky these days.

Thanks for your reply. I will look into Command and Colors.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. I came back to gaming sometime within the last two years, and I figured it was probably dead, having given way to video games - the only games I see friends' children playing. So I started to purchase the AH games, all of which I used to own, on ebay. Then I discovered BGG. I was amazed that gaming was not only dead, but had evolved into something far grander than what we had in the '70s. I bought a couple of GMT games, and was highly impressed by the production quality and the development to rule mechanics. At Origins this year, Bob (BBSuds) and I were introduced to a WWII tactical system (http://academy-games.com/games/conflict-of-heroes) that took game mechanics to a new level. We walked away with bags in hand. Yes, we are so lucky these days.

Eric, Matrix Games has a pc version of Awakening the Bear. I don't have the board game, but the pc version they say is very true to the original. From personal experience I can tell you the pc version and AI is a challenge and very well done. http://www.matrixgames.com/products/424/details/

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Bob picked this up as well. I have a Mac, but I will be getting some software to run PC software - too many things I would like to have but can't due to operating systems.

Interesting that you mention the challenge of the AI system. The game designer was telling us about the new solo rules coming out, and it beats him so often, that he has had to change his style of playing.

Thanks for the recommendation, Jim. I will put this on my list. For some odd reason, I think all of the house projects I have lined up for this year might not get done. Hmmm.

I have a simliar experience. I started with board games in the 70s but then switched to miniatures in the 90s. Ironically IMO the internet has helped save boardgames (wargames that is, I don't think games like Catan, etc have suffered nearly as much). The CDG (card driven games) games have had an impact as well, just look at the tie in with miniatures we are seeing since WoW/WoG.

I would recommend Collins Epic Wargames "Spearpoint 1943" CDG if you are interested in WWII land combat. The East Front set is on KS right now and they released a terrain set to go with it. I also just pledged in the Columbia Games "Napoleon" block game KS - now there's a classic boardgame!

Eric

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I just checked out Spearpoint's KS. With 3 days to go, it is only funded at half the needed level. Eric, do you know if this game is on its way in or on its way out?

I must admit, it was a bit of a challenge getting my mind around card-driven mechanics at first. I was so used to determining ratios, rolling dice, looking up charts for effects, that the card concept seemed very strange and almost arbitrary at times. They are growing on me though. Cards can add a bit of fog-of-war. As we all know, battle plans can go right out the window once fighting starts. A little less control and God's eye view isn't all bad.

OK, did anyone find any further info on this Age of Sail game? I am very curious.

I just checked out Spearpoint's KS. With 3 days to go, it is only funded at half the needed level. Eric, do you know if this game is on its way in or on its way out?

I must admit, it was a bit of a challenge getting my mind around card-driven mechanics at first. I was so used to determining ratios, rolling dice, looking up charts for effects, that the card concept seemed very strange and almost arbitrary at times. They are growing on me though. Cards can add a bit of fog-of-war. As we all know, battle plans can go right out the window once fighting starts. A little less control and God's eye view isn't all bad.
    The original game has been out for a year or two maybe. I played in a demo game with the author at Historicon in Valley Forge and then bought the game on the spot ($25 deal easy!) Nice little game playable in 30 minutes. My 12 y/o could easily pick it up if he wasn't busy watching hockey playoffs, etc!!They sucessfully funded the KS and P500 drives for the Spearpoint map board, so I don't know why this one is languishing. Might be the rewards are not there, because I think you end up paying retail and the strech goals are things like voting on a vehicle card or getting addional PDF scenarios. I havn't checked BGG ratings. They may have diluted the base a bit by having a P500 program and then KS.

Midshipman
    Brazil

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    The original game has been out for a year or two maybe. I played in a demo game with the author at Historicon in Valley Forge and then bought the game on the spot ($25 deal easy!) Nice little game playable in 30 minutes. My 12 y/o could easily pick it up if he wasn't busy watching hockey playoffs, etc!!They sucessfully funded the KS and P500 drives for the Spearpoint map board, so I don't know why this one is languishing. Might be the rewards are not there, because I think you end up paying retail and the strech goals are things like voting on a vehicle card or getting addional PDF scenarios. I havn't checked BGG ratings. They may have diluted the base a bit by having a P500 program and then KS.
    I have the original game - Spearpoint 1943 (Western front) and the Terrain/Map expansion (haven't used it yet). The game is very simple to learn, but not so simple to master. I really like it. I am a KS supporter for the Eastern Front module, but it seems it will not see the light of day this time. I is a pity.
    Last edited by calm; 06-27-2013 at 11:43. Reason: Minor typo

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Bob picked this up as well. I have a Mac, but I will be getting some software to run PC software - too many things I would like to have but can't due to operating systems.

Interesting that you mention the challenge of the AI system. The game designer was telling us about the new solo rules coming out, and it beats him so often, that he has had to change his style of playing.

Thanks for the recommendation, Jim. I will put this on my list. For some odd reason, I think all of the house projects I have lined up for this year might not get done. Hmmm.
    Not to derail this thread because I too would like to know more about the Age of Sail from Zvesda, but another pc game with AI that is extremely tough to beat is Unity of Command. It is available for Mac via Steam, or directly from them as a download. Here's their main page and I believe you can download a demo to get a good idea on how the game works. I can tell you now that if you make a mistake the computer will crush you regardless of which side you play.

http://unityofcommand.net/

OK, I found some info on this game. It is actually called 'Armada Invincible', and here are some links. Looks like the starter set is between $55 and $65. It is a 16th century based time period, or as the name implies, the Armada period. As I guessed originally, looks like it is mainly a single or few ships level game. Daniel, you may want to change the title of this thread.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=297133

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=WyoR0...%3DWyoR0O7LHos

http://bleaseworld.blogspot.com/2013...ible-game.html

OK, I found some info on this game. It is actually called 'Armada Invincible', and here are some links. Looks like the starter set is between $55 and $65. It is a 16th century based time period, or as the name implies, the Armada period. As I guessed originally, looks like it is mainly a single or few ships level game. Daniel, you may want to change the title of this thread.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=297133

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=WyoR0...%3DWyoR0O7LHos

http://bleaseworld.blogspot.com/2013...ible-game.html
    Just as I thought after seeing the lines of those ships. Still an important period in the evolution of ships of war if you will. The last gasp of the "land battle" at sea mentality and the triumph of the English race built galleons over the larger but more cumbersome Spanish galleons.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    The last gasp of the "land battle" at sea mentality
    Not at all. Just look at the Swedish "Archipelago Fleets" of the 19th century.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Not at all. Just look at the Swedish "Archipelago Fleets" of the 19th century.
    Ah yes you are correct, but that's a bit specialized based on the "terrain". I should qualify by stating tactics were changing in the open ocean.