Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spanish 112 Gun--Langton Miniature--Ready for Rigging/Touch-Up

I noticed the difference in ships a while back on a different thread and asked Gunner about it. I think David was answering my question when he said to trust Rod Langton because he had access to the original construction plans. We were specifically talking about British ships at the time. I was asking about the Idefatigable Navwar and Davco models being so different. I also have the GHQ and Langton Montanes which are very different. James and I have talked about other differences between GHQ and Langton hulls. The Langtons sit higher in the water. The GHQ hulls are lower like a fully loaded vessel would be. In order to match them up, the only choices are to either lower the Langton hulls by filing them down or to build up the GHQ hulls by adding card or some other spacer material to the bottom. Both of us are doing the latter. The Davco hulls sit somewhere between the GHQ and Langto. The smaller Navwar hulls are even lower than GHQ, but the larger ships are massive and sit higher than Langton. So I guess all you can do is try to match a model the best you can to a set of plans or painting of a partcular historic ship, regardless of the name the manufacturer gives it.

Jim, hats off to you and your work. The end result is spectacular. You obviously have the saying "GO BIG OR GO HOME!". Great ship choice too.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    I noticed the difference in ships a while back on a different thread and asked Gunner about it. I think David was answering my question when he said to trust Rod Langton because he had access to the original construction plans. We were specifically talking about British ships at the time. I was asking about the Idefatigable Navwar and Davco models being so different. I also have the GHQ and Langton Montanes which are very different. James and I have talked about other differences between GHQ and Langton hulls. The Langtons sit higher in the water. The GHQ hulls are lower like a fully loaded vessel would be. In order to match them up, the only choices are to either lower the Langton hulls by filing them down or to build up the GHQ hulls by adding card or some other spacer material to the bottom. Both of us are doing the latter. The Davco hulls sit somewhere between the GHQ and Langto. The smaller Navwar hulls are even lower than GHQ, but the larger ships are massive and sit higher than Langton. So I guess all you can do is try to match a model the best you can to a set of plans or painting of a partcular historic ship, regardless of the name the manufacturer gives it.
    Vol,
    Thanks for your insight and comments on some of the other mini producers. I've yet to see a Navwar hull in person. I can't imagine a ship more massive than the Langton Trinidad?! I might have to see what they offer just to compare. As for leveling the difference between the GHQ and Langton's Ii'll be using your same method. I have sheet styrene that should do the trick quite well.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Kangaroo View Post
    Jim, hats off to you and your work. The end result is spectacular. You obviously have the saying "GO BIG OR GO HOME!". Great ship choice too.
    Thanks Erin. I chose the Spanish because they're not modeled as much as the Brits or French. It was only after some further reading and research that I discovered the Santissima Trinidad. It is a marvel.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Jim,
    Us Old-Salts forget that people new to the hobby don't know things we think old-hat, Sorry for that. But shipmates on this site will always help.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Jim,
    Us Old-Salts forget that people new to the hobby don't know things we think old-hat, Sorry for that. But shipmates on this site will always help.
    Be safe
    Rory
    I never hesitate to ask questions because I know someone here will have an answer or know of someone else who does. It's what's makes this place so enjoyable. And I expect it's only going to get better once SoG is being played by everyone here as well as the general public. Cheers!

Jim,
    You won't like Navwar. The hull molds are poor in comparison with the other 3 brands and they take way too much work to build to an acceptable standard. Just not worth the money they want IMO. I got mine at a very reduced price from Gunner (thanks again Ed) so it was worth while. I like the challenge I guess.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Jim,
    You won't like Navwar. The hull molds are poor in comparison with the other 3 brands and they take way too much work to build to an acceptable standard. Just not worth the money they want IMO. I got mine at a very reduced price from Gunner (thanks again Ed) so it was worth while. I like the challenge I guess.
    Thanks Vol. I'll concentrate on Langton and GHQ. That's plenty to keep me busy anyhow!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Thanks Vol. I'll concentrate on Langton and GHQ. That's plenty to keep me busy anyhow!
    Great choices. While GHQ models are very crisp and a tad smaller, I prefer Langton because of the wide variety of their models and hopefully they will look closer than most to the SoG scale.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Jim
    I was given 9 Navwar SOL free from a friend. They are not so hot! But I will use them as merchant ships. For wargaming, merchant ship are just moving scenery. They will not look as good as my fighting ships, but will open new scenario for me on the table. I'm so lucky as it would have cost me around £100 to buy same ships with Langton merchant ships. All I need to do now is buy rat lines and bases. By the way I'm not putting down Merchant shipmen just looking at them from a wargaming point of view.
    Be safe
    Rory

Midshipman
    Brazil

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

Poor merchantmen, just targets, sitting (or slowly moving) ducks
    Last edited by calm; 06-27-2013 at 08:03. Reason: Minor typo

Quote Originally Posted by calm View Post
    Poor merchantmen, just targets, sitting (or slowly moving) ducks
    Yes, but if enough of them get through they could bring extra revenue to build another ship.

Midshipman
    Brazil

Log Entries
    Name
    Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Yes, but if enough of them get through they could bring extra revenue to build another ship.
    Indeed, I think of them as the unsung heroes

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

You are all on my wave length
    Be safe
    Rory