Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
I've got to think that if you have a FLGS, local college with a student "study lounge" type area, or accomodating public library,
bringing in some ships and associated bits and setting them up will attract A LOT of attention and prevent such dust collection.
This is one of the reasons I am looking at minis, now, for different eras such as AoS, ancients, ACW. Growing up playing hex and chit games, I enjoy traditional wargames. Trying to get others into them is a bit difficult - especially historical reenactments. I think setting up a table of minis has (1) the needed visuals and (2) a look of accessibility, especially WoG and SoG in which the game mechanism doesn't look complex.

There is a public library in Urbana that has a quiet room. Every 2nd Saturday from 2:00 to closing, it is reserved for gaming. We were there working once when the gamers came in. All different ages, etc. I imagine having some mats and ships or planes out would be a good draw. With the strong emphasis on Magic and other fantasy games where we currently live, I think SoG or WoG must be on the table to secure interest - announcements of Tuesday night WoG or SoG will not suffice except for the few who already play. Such attempts at drawing others has guided my extra purchases.