Thread: It's a Start--Montanes--74 guns

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Now that my extremely generous shipmate Rory has gifted me a copy of Rod's book, maybe I'll get it right now!
    Excellent!!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Super rigging job Jim. The first time I tried it, I had a headache for two days.
    And thanks for the "fishusa.com" heads up.
    These folks also sell via Amazon if you should prefer to go that route. Order arrived very quickly and saved me the trouble of trying to find a local fly tackle shop that might have carried the colors I needed.

Jim, thanks for the tip on the thread and web site. I just ordered $21 worth. Unfortunately all of their black is out of stock, so for the standing rigging I guess I'll just have to stick with my waxed standard.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Try these folks via Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Uni-Thread-Siz...rds=uni+thread

(I hope I'm not violating any forum rules by posting this link?)

Jim

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Jim,
    Just seen your photos and my hair fell out! She is so good. I think you may have a porblem? This is your first ship! The next ones can only get better (O.K. the odd one may go off a little). When you put your Spanish ships by your SOG ships. You young man will have a little porblem! A lovely porblem,but a porblem.

Hi Vol,
    In my eyes your ships make me work harder on mine. If you do better work, so must I. I must flag and pennant my ships.

Hi Ed,
    Could you let us see some of your ships?
    Be safe
    Rory

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Try these folks via Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Uni-Thread-Siz...rds=uni+thread

(I hope I'm not violating any forum rules by posting this link?)

Jim
    Glad to know I won't need to purchase more items to start this hobby. I've got fly tying thread coming out the Wazoo, in just about every color. You can get this from any fly shop, cabelas, bass pro shop etc.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Hi Jim,
    Just seen your photos and my hair fell out! She is so good. I think you may have a porblem? This is your first ship! The next ones can only get better (O.K. the odd one may go off a little). When you put your Spanish ships by your SOG ships. You young man will have a little porblem! A lovely porblem,but a porblem.

Hi Vol,
    In my eyes your ships make me work harder on mine. If you do better work, so must I. I must flag and pennant my ships.

Hi Ed,
    Be safe
    Rory
    Thanks Rory. I'm hoping the ones to follow look a little better, but also go together a little faster now that I know a bit more about what I'm doing. I'll be anxious to get my hands of some of the SoG ships to see how they might be enhanced, but I seriously doubt they'll ever look as good as the Langton minis.

P.S. What's this I hear about your Swiss navy? Hope we can see some pics when you get the chance?

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Thanks Rory.

P.S. What's this I hear about your Swiss navy? Hope we can see some pics when you get the chance?
    Hi Jim,
    Kick a man when he's down, you rat.
    Be safe
    Rory

Hi Jim,

Hi Vol,

Hi Ed,
    Be safe
    Rory
    In my move Arizona, my ship box was dropped upside down. As I repair them (if I live long enough) I'll post pictures as they're finished. This is the second time this happened to me.
    And yes they were mounted on magnets. Didn't help.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

In my move Arizona, my ship box was dropped upside down. As I repair them (if I live long enough) I'll post pictures as they're finished. This is the second time this happened to me.
    That would be a heart breaker!! Please do post photos when you get the chance.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hi Jim,
    Kick a man when he's down, you rat.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Just kidding you, Rory.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your various national fleets expand over the next few months.

And thanks, by the way, for the compliments on the rigging of the Montanes.

Cheers!

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Oh! Ed,
    The thought, I close my eyes and see it! I'm so sorry for you. But it happen in history too! On the 7 Nov 1824 the Russian Baltic Fleet 22 out of 28 SOL and 15 of19 frigates were destroyed by a flood. When a ice dam broke. The flood was 7 1/2 feet high and killed hundreds of the crews. The whole fleed was written off by 1829. The formerly powerful Baltic fleet was a Shambles.
    Be safe
    Rory

Oh! Ed,
    The thought, I close my eyes and see it! I'm so sorry for you. But it happen in history too! On the 7 Nov 1824 the Russian Baltic Fleet 22 out of 28 SOL and 15 of19 frigates were destroyed by a flood. When a ice dam broke. The flood was 7 1/2 feet high and killed hundreds of the crews. The whole fleed was written off by 1829. The formerly powerful Baltic fleet was a Shambles.
    Be safe
    Rory
    How apropos. Eight of the ships are Russian.

2nd Lt
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Jim that is outstanding work. I don't know how you guys do such great paint jobs.

Gosh Ed, I'm really sorry to hear that. But look on the bright side, it took me almost two weeks to create just three wrecks. You were able to do several in just a minute or two. :)

Several?? Try 26.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Gunner, you describe my nightmare!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Whitejamest View Post
    You should have been at Game Storm in Vancouver, WA, this year -- some genius thought it would be a Good Idea to put the Giant Jenga Set, right across from the door to the Miniatures Bay.

HAVE YOU SEEN HOW THE TYPICAL MINIS GAMER RESPONDS TO A VERY LOUD CRASH!? Now imagine that happening at completely random intervals throughout the day. By the end of the day, most of the people in the minis bay were nervous wrecks....

Quote Originally Posted by Whitejamest View Post
    I'll bite my tongue and work on them one at a time. The good news is the hulls are good on all of them. that's the end of the good news.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

I'll bite my tongue and work on them one at a time. The good news is the hulls are good on all of them. that's the end of the good news.
    Hi Ed,
    Vol has a great blog site for making masts. You may find it helpful or take to him. He is the best
    Be safe
    Rory

Thanks Rory, but I'm going to try and save all of them.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Ed,
    My thougths are with you at each mast and ship. Shipmate.
    Be safe
    Rory

Ed, did this happen recently? Was this after you sent me all of those ships? I can send you some of the masts and sails from them if you can use them to replace broken ones.

I have extra masts and sails. It's allotting time for the repairs not to mention getting in the mood that's the problem.
    But I appreciate the offer. Thanks.

Anytime Ed.