Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Jim,
    Looking good! I'm so glad for you, but hate you too! She is looking GREAT. If the rigging is only 1/2 as good, You will have lovely ship.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Thanks Rory. Like I said above, your pictures, ships and encouragement really made this work. I just hope my rigging turns out half as good as yours and Vol's.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Thanks Rory. Like I said above, your pictures, ships and encouragement really made this work. I just hope my rigging turns out half as good as yours and Vol's.
    Jim,
    When I look at my ships, I alway find fault with them. I know Vol does too! He likes my stuff, and I ask. WHY? I love his work, and he asks me WHY? When I look at my ships I see all the things you lot just don't see! I don't get it? I would like to think I know Vol now to see him as he sees me. Yes I like the OH's and AH's.
    Tonigth played a 26 ship game plus the harbour. Matt who I played with said to all that came to look and oh and ah it." It is so nice to play in such a game, makes him feel good." and I won. (photos to come later). O.K.I will make a pack with you all. The day I am happy with my ships is the day I stop doing them. I think Vol may say the same. James who I know little about may think the same too, I don't know?
    Jim, we all do not like our own work. End of! I look at your ship and go OH! and AH! So stop beating yourself up and get on with it so I can go Oh & AH. Please.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jim,
    When I look at my ships, I alway find fault with them. I know Vol does too! He likes my stuff, and I ask. WHY? I love his work, and he asks me WHY? When I look at my ships I see all the things you lot just don't see! I don't get it? I would like to think I know Vol now to see him as he sees me. Yes I like the OH's and AH's.
    Tonigth played a 26 ship game plus the harbour. Matt who I played with said to all that came to look and oh and ah it." It is so nice to play in such a game, makes him feel good." and I won. (photos to come later). O.K.I will make a pack with you all. The day I am happy with my ships is the day I stop doing them. I think Vol may say the same. James who I know little about may think the same too, I don't know?
    Jim, we all do not like our own work. End of! I look at your ship and go OH! and AH! So stop beating yourself up and get on with it so I can go Oh & AH. Please.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Thanks Rory, I will. Too many chores today to make any progress. Tomorrow hopefully I can get back to the ship.

Now show us those pics of your game, especially your winning part!! 26 ships?! Sounds really cool and a lot of fun too!

Ditto what Rory said!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

To any and all, feel free to send me any of your sub par work.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by CHolgren View Post
    To any and all, feel free to send me any of your sub par work.
    Probably not, Cory. I really like Eric's idea of using the 'failures' as wrecks.

P.S. Hurry up and post two more messages so you hit Midshipman!! :)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Probably not, Cory. I really like Eric's idea of using the 'failures' as wrecks.

P.S. Hurry up and post two more messages so you hit Midshipman!! :)
    OK, How's that?

Congratulations Midshipman Cory.

Congratulations Cory on your promotion to Midshipman!

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Well do Cory,
    I love the carrot bit by Jim.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

LOL. That works! Congrats, Cory!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

So, I got all of two lines rigged today. Too much yard work, etc., but I did have time to paint the base using Wayne's technique from The Miniatures Page. I think it turned out nice, and being able to use any paint that's called "Scurvy Green" is a big bonus!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 01-20-2014 at 20:32.

Well done on your promotion Cory

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

That's a nice looking base Jim. Is that your first attempt?

Midshipman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I echo what Eric said. What a great looking base.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

So, I got all of two lines rigged today. Too much yard work, etc., but I did have time to paint the base using Wayne's technique from The Miniatures Page. I think it turned out nice, and being able to use any paint that's called "Scurvy Green" is a big bonus!!
    Looks great. Where is the miniature page your referring to? I've been trying to find vols page and have no idea where the link etc. Is hidden. Thanks

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by CHolgren View Post
    Looks great. Where is the miniature page your referring to? I've been trying to find vols page and have no idea where the link etc. Is hidden. Thanks
    Here's a blog of his - really great stuff:
    http://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Here's a blog of his - really great stuff:
    http://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/
    Thanks Eric, I know I saw it once before, but for the life of me I couldn't find a link anywhere I looked.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

So, I got all of two lines rigged today. Too much yard work, etc.
    O.K. Jim,
    I'm English. Is this a joke = Rigging and yard work or is yard work what we Brits would call gardening, or slave labour set you by your partner. By the way your bases look good.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

That's a nice looking base Jim. Is that your first attempt?
    Thanks Eric and Chris. Yup, this was my first base painting exercise, which is made easier as it's a Langton sculpted one.

Oh, and I misspoke, Wayne's posts are off of the Maine Wargarming Forum: http://mainewargamershq.lefora.com/2...nic-ships-wip/
    He kept his dry brushing much lighter. I prefer seeing a bit more whitecaps. Btw, iirc this link was posted by Berthier quite some time ago, and I'm very happy I found it.

Cory, The Miniature Page is here, but there are sub forums just for us naval guys. http://theminiaturespage.com/
    http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/topics.mv?id=134

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

O.K. Jim,
    I'm English. Is this a joke = Rigging and yard work or is yard work what we Brits would call gardening, or slave labour set you by your partner. By the way your bases look good.
    Be safe
    Rory
    lol. Rory, I just now realized what I said. That is funny! Yes, yard work here in the US usually means, cutting the grass, weeding, trimming hedges, etc. I think we're crazy. We fertilize the grass so it grows faster and then we have to cut it more often.

So, no I don't have three large masts in the backyard that I was working on instead of the Montanes.

But it's supposed to rain tomorrow so I can spend all day working on the rigging, hopefully.

P.S. Vol posts on TMP too: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=302590 Not sure about Rory and anyone else from here?
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 05-08-2013 at 18:21.

O.K. Jim,
    I'm English. Is this a joke = Rigging and yard work or is yard work what we Brits would call gardening, or slave labour set you by your partner.
    lol. Rory, I just now realized what I said. That is funny! Yes, yard work here in the US usually means, cutting the grass, weeding, trimming hedges, etc. I think we're crazy. We fertilize the grass so it grows faster and then we have to cut it more often.
    Or getting on the tractor and cutting the grass and do a little trimming with the chainsaw.

Or mending fences, spreading gravel, puting up deer fencing to protect the garden, etc.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Ayup. Spent most of yesterday helping out at my Mom's place. She had a 'list', so it was another day where I didn't get much quality ship building time, but it was quality time with her. Maybe later today. . . ?

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the new Thread. The report is done with photos and on your new thread. Hope you enjoy it!
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the new Thread. The report is done with photos and on your new thread. Hope you enjoy it!
    Be safe
    Rory
    Nice! I'm going to check it our right now.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I finished most of the rigging this afternoon. All I have left is mounting the flag and pennant. I learned a great deal via this first time effort, and I plan on doing things differently next time around. Between painting and rigging I'll definitely take painting any day; rigging is tedious and frustrating at times. And I now have a crick in my neck that's killing me. Take many breaks. I made many mistakes, but you're not going to notice them unless you get right up close, which is good. Only one picture at the moment, but I'll take more when I get the ship on the base.
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 01-20-2014 at 20:34.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Well done Jim. Hard to believe its your first. Really well done.

Job well done Jim. I'd be proud to game with that ship against anyone.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

You've got the touch. Looks superb Jim.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Jim,
    I can only say OH! and AH!
    Be safe, Master Shipwright
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks All! You guys are great.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Wow Jim, that is fantastic! You've really got the touch.

Fine work Jim, well done.

Ok, excellent job Jim on the paint job and standing rigging. Are you going to stop there? What about the running rigging?. I know you can do it, and judging from what you have done so far, better than the rest of us!

Regards,
    Vol

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Ok, excellent job Jim on the paint job and standing rigging. Are you going to stop there? What about the running rigging?. I know you can do it, and judging from what you have done so far, better than the rest of us!
    Regards,
    Vol
    Jim,
    Do not think bad thoughs about Vol. He is a hard Master, but he is right. From what I've seen you can do it. You have jumped so many walls with this ship. Why stop at the last one? You have a lovely ship, your frist! the rest will be better (BETTER THAN MINE). In the back of your mind' you will thinking can I, Would I. I will tell you, Vol and I did the last jump and you like our work! Come on! the grass is greener on this side of the wall. I think we will be asking you, how do you do it! It may go all wrong. But it will always look good, it could look better for you, not us! GO ON GAVE IT A GO!
    Be safe
    Rory
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 05-11-2013 at 09:42.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Vol, Rory. I will think about trying the running rigging. I haven't even read that part of the Langton book, although I did buy some buff colored thread if I decide to give it a go. As always, thanks for the word of encouragement.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

OK, so I might not be done, if I decide to do the running rigging, but for the moment here's the current state of the Montanes. Again, I've copied Wayne from the MaineWargamers Forum in creating a base and nameplate version that really appeals to me. What do you think? Also, just for fun I included a picture of the Montanes with the Paris; one of the Leviathan game minis I repainted. The flying dreadnaught is actually at 1/1200 scale and in this fictional universe time scale placed around 1910. And the last pic, is my next project.
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 01-20-2014 at 20:38.

She turned out beautiful. Great work!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

If you're going to have a nameplate, I think what you did looks good. The lettering and flag are well done. What did you print them on? Simple paper?

Looking forward to seeing your next project.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

If you're going to have a nameplate, I think what you did looks good. The lettering and flag are well done. What did you print them on? Simple paper?

Looking forward to seeing your next project.
    Eric, yes I used MS Publisher and printed it on a slightly heavier paper. I then used a pocket laminating kit to seal the plate and mounted the sticker on a flexible magnet (like the bumper sticker stuff). I can switch nameplates if I decide to have it be another in that class; Neptuno, Monarca or Argonauta. And there are 3 rare earth magnets in the base to hold it in place once I build the case I want to carry these ships in. Thanks!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thanks All! You guys are great.
    Sidebar question: What's your avatar?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Sidebar question: What's your avatar?
    It's another repaint from the Leviathans game. The American "Great White Fleet" isn't due out for months (if not years), so I took a Paris Class ship and did it up in the US parade scheme, including some Frou Frou made from costume jewelry. Synthetics to simulate clouds and a blue background from a model railroad backboard. Oh, and these ships are all plastic with basic prepainting done on all classes.
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 01-20-2014 at 20:45.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

Looks great,

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

It's another repaint from the Leviathans game. The American "Great White Fleet" isn't due out for months (if not years), so I took a Paris Class ship and did it up in the US parade scheme, including some Frou Frou made from costume jewelry. Synthetics to simulate clouds and a blue background from a model railroad backboard. Oh, and these ships are all plastic with basic prepainting done on all classes.
    That's what I thought, but the avatar pic's so small it's difficult to see details.

(Considered getting this; but then saw how much bespoke stuff it entailed, and gave it a miss. I'm still hoping someone will do reprints of the _Space:1889_ ship minis.)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Received some excellent nylon thread yesterday so I went ahead and did the running rigging on the Montanes. For whatever reason this rigging seemed easier for me than the standing rigging? I suspect it might be the thread I used, which generally was much easier to work with. While I got this brand through Amazon I'm sure you can pick it up locally or through other vendors. I did not use the waxed variety. Here's the link if you'd like to see the product:

http://www.fishusa.com/Uni-Thread-6-0_p.html

So, here are four views of the finished ship. Now it's on to the Spanish 112 gunner.
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 01-20-2014 at 20:55.

Very nice Jim and unlike me, you did the mizzen rigging correctly. Beautiful ship!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Very nice Jim and unlike me, you did the mizzen rigging correctly. Beautiful ship!
    Thanks Vol! I must have read that part of the Langton book five or six times before I got it right in my head.

Now that my extremely generous shipmate Rory has gifted me a copy of Rod's book, maybe I'll get it right now!

Super rigging job Jim. The first time I tried it, I had a headache for two days.
    And thanks for the "fishusa.com" heads up.