Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hobbies other than AoS

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

No formal Psych degree here, but I have a Hard Knocks education in autism-spectrum issues myself. :)

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    What's a Pole doing in a StuG (besides sleeping)?
    Beats being a Pole-march. ;)

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaLazarus View Post

As Gunner is, I am a fan of the Vaquero (and Ruger in general), I owned a P94DC, 44 SuperBlackHawk, etc.
    I like the Ruger's, too. I have a stainless 77/22 in .22. The trigger needs work, but I can center-punch a nickel at 100 yards with it. I love the blackhawk, too. good, solid guns with a silky action. A guy I work with blew the barrel off one. He blamed it on poor quality but I suspect he made a mistake on his hand loads. (He's sort of a dip$#!t)
    Last edited by Coyote; 04-22-2013 at 19:49.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf03809 View Post
    I enjoy GW's Strategy Battle Game (SBG) version very much...
    Thanks Lawrence. You provided the type of info I need. If I were to pick up a LotR game, I definitely want the feel of Tolkien, otherwise I would go for any good fantasy mini game. I am considering one on KS that ends tomorrow - Myth http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1700755582/myth-0

It has been interesting watching this KS. I had not followed KSs before SoG, so I was a bit intrigued to see how Myth would go. Holy smoke. In the last two or three days, I think close to $200k was raised. Definitely a difference between fantasy and historical.

If I can find SBG at a reasonable price, I will probably pick it up. I will pass on War of the Rings. Thanks again.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    I like the Ruger's, too. I have a stainless 77/22 in .22. The trigger needs work, but I can center-punch a nickel at 100 yards with it. I love the blackhawk, too. good, solid guns with a silky action. A guy I work with blew the barrel off one. He blamed it on poor quality but I suspect he made a mistake on his hand loads. (He's sort of a dip$#!t)
    Wow. Yeah, that is more likely. Ruger is one of the few handgun manufacturers whose modern revolvers are all rated +P+. No one else does that. Even my S&W is only rated +P

Nice 77/22, btw

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by CHolgren View Post
    Like I said it's for the time being. I did my undergrad in Biology/Psychology and wanted to go into developmental neurobiology, but the wife and I had kids earlier than planned and the time was never right to go back. Don't regret the time with my kids at all. I manage a Stroke/Parkinsons research lab, but I apply my skills to any project where there's money.
    It is hard doing graduate work while married or being a parent. I was a late comer to academics. In some ways it was good due to industry experience and maturity, but being an older student has not been without cost, especially while working full-time. Never regret placing family over graduate work. As nice as additional letters behind one's name can be, and the doors they might open, they can never compare to value of quality time with one's family.

I'll keep you abreast of my work. It would be fun to kibitz.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Wow. Yeah, that is more likely. Ruger is one of the few handgun manufacturers whose modern revolvers are all rated +P+. No one else does that. Even my S&W is only rated +P

Nice 77/22, btw
    I picked up an XL7 in 30-06 when they first came out. Outfitted with a Nikon scope it still cost less than a Tikka T3 and is every bit as accurate. My only complaint is not having a way to unload the magazine from the bottom.

Nice 77/22, btw
    The other benefit of a Ruger is, you can use it as a hammer and it still shoots like it came out of the box.
    Oh! Did I mention, I like Rugers

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    He probably used Bullseye thinking it was 2400. I almost did that 45 years ago. That would blow up a 9pdr.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

He probably used Bullseye thinking it was 2400. I almost did that 45 years ago. That would blow up a 9pdr.
    I wouldn't put anything past this guy. He got the Blackhawk by trading off a S&W Model 29 that rattled when he held it. It was the second Model 29 he had that he said had "loosened up" on him.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

The other benefit of a Ruger is, you can use it as a hammer and it still shoots like it came out of the box.
    Oh! Did I mention, I like Rugers
    Don't cringe, but I've actually done that. One time after I moved to Texas, I needed to get something done in the new apt and couldn't find my tools. I used the Super BlackHawk as a hammer, just like they did for wanted posters long ago. It had the 10.5" barrel, so that made it easy.

The whole time I did it, I couldn't tell whether I was being authentic or disrespectful. I am from Tennessee, after all. Hey, at least I can say "Oh, a Super Blackhawk. I can drive nails with that thing, no scope."

DISCLAIMER: ALWAYS BE SURE THAT YOUR FIREARM IS UNLOADED AND DISABLED BEFORE BANGING AGAINST OTHER STUFF.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

[QUOTE}DISCLAIMER: ALWAYS BE SURE THAT YOUR FIREARM IS UNLOADED AND DISABLED BEFORE BANGING AGAINST OTHER STUFF.

Solid advice Japheth.

Able Seaman
    Israel

Log Entries
    Name
    Avi

I would actually advice -
    Always treat firearms as if they are loaded and ready to fire -
    but maybe its just me supervising to many green sailors...

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Good rule for firarms. Great rule for women!

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Quite the discussion already, but I'll dive in...

Let's see -- like Gunner, I am a Marine who loves the 45LC (and the 1911); just picked up a new, old style Ruger Vaquero. Something about those wheel guns... I do like Springfield's new XD line for a modern pistol.

I enjoy backpacking, but with being back in school (what is this with all of us going back to school later in life?), my main hobby right now is gaming. Just got into SAGA, and love the game -- down and dirty skirmish action in the Dark Ages. Dust Tactics is my go-to, and we have a pretty strong contingent here in Arizona. Android:Netrunner when I just want to throw down some cards.

Cheers!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Welcome James. What are you studying?

When you have a chance, stop by the Welcome Aboard forum and introduce yourself there as well. It will let folks know you are here, and they will be happy to meet you.

Welcome to the forum James. From what I've read on it, I think I would really like SAGA as the 11th century is one of my favorite time periods with the Normans as my favorite warriors.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Howdy!

I am currently employed with IBM as an information developer (CIS degree), but I am "coming about" and pursuing a Masters in Nursing.

Coog, like WoG and Sog, SAGA is a game, not a simulation, and captures the feel of the time and fighting style. The battle boards used for orders in innovative. Vikings and Irish for me!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Welcome to the forum James. From what I've read on it, I think I would really like SAGA as the 11th century is one of my favorite time periods with the Normans as my favorite warriors.
    A fun game indeed and you can play with as little as 25 figures in your warband. I like the way each faction is individualized with its' own battleboard. I'll take on Horatio's Vikings with my Normans!

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio Le Rêve View Post
    Quite the discussion already, but I'll dive in...

Let's see -- like Gunner, I am a Marine who loves the 45LC (and the 1911); just picked up a new, old style Ruger Vaquero. Something about those wheel guns... I do like Springfield's new XD line for a modern pistol.

I enjoy backpacking, but with being back in school (what is this with all of us going back to school later in life?), my main hobby right now is gaming. Just got into SAGA, and love the game -- down and dirty skirmish action in the Dark Ages. Dust Tactics is my go-to, and we have a pretty strong contingent here in Arizona. Android:Netrunner when I just want to throw down some cards.

Cheers!
    Hi James. What part of Arizona do you hail from?
    Never mind I found you on the other site.
    Last edited by Gunner; 04-23-2013 at 12:04.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

I am currently employed with IBM as an information developer (CIS degree)
    I live and breath by IBM products at work (WebSphere, Process Server, WODM, MQ, etc.). I've been asked a couple times by some IBMers I've had long term working relationships with about coming over and had always found it a very tempting idea. I hope your time with them was good.

but I am "coming about" and pursuing a Masters in Nursing.
    More fulfilling than data, that's for sure. Of course, all I have on the line are some financials. Hope the career shift is smooth and all you are looking for!

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    A fun game indeed and you can play with as little as 25 figures in your warband. I like the way each faction is individualized with its' own battleboard. I'll take on Horatio's Vikings with my Normans!
    Anytime you're out west you've got a game!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Perhaps I am the outlier on this site, but I am a labor lawyer by trade, working for union representing federal employees. In my spare time, when I am not with my family, I enjoy board games and role-playing games. I've never played much in the way of miniatures games, except battletech back in the 1980's. I enjoy reading fiction and non-fiction of all sorts, and also watching movies.

Back in college and for a few years after, I was an avid rugby player, playing mostly lock/second-row, but my back has curtailed that passion recently. Lord, I miss that game!

This will be my first foray into war gaming, and I'm really excited to receive my copy of SGN. I'm hoping to recruit my son and daughter, but if that fails, I'll troll the flgs to find some players.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hey Michael, what RPGs do you play? I got back into gaming within the last two years via Pathfinder. I used to play D&D and AH and SPI wargames in the late 70s, early 80s, then took a 30 year hiatus. It is fun being back. I did play Battletech a couple of times with some of the guys in my shop when I was in the military - if memory serves me correctly, the minis were cardboard.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

My favorite rpg's are DnD 3.5 (I haven't tried pathfinder, although I've heard good things about it), Call of Cthulhu, Ars Magica, and for one-shot games, Paranoia is a hoot.

Battletech had cardboard figures in the core game, but my friends were hard-core and collected and painted the miniatures, and we played with those. Fun times, although I recall the games ran a bit slowly.

SGN represents a bit of a return to the gaming community for me. I get together with college buddies once a year, and we play games, but this will be my first new game that I (hope to) play year round.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I have been told to think of Pathfinder as 3.75. I cannot express how impressed I am with the game design and support - modules, campaign settings, etc. Fortunately, the folks I play with are not rules-lawyers, no offense intended on the lawyer comment, nor is Pathfinder their life. I started running games as well, and it is a lot of fun.

Just picked up Arkham Horror and an expansion. I believe it is related to Cthulhu, even if only loosely. We have been enjoying cooperative games like Pandemic and Flash Point. It has been great because many friends who are not that into games thoroughly enjoy playing them. I am a bit amazed at how the gaming industry has developed since I stopped playing. Even traditional wargames has exploded. It is a good time to get back into playing.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

My understanding is that WotC sold the rights to 3.5 to Paizo Games, and they used that to publish Pathfinder. I'm glad to hear that Paizo has done such a good job of it. In fact, I've heard rumors that they now routinely outsell 4th edition DnD, which must be a huge embarrassment to WotC if true. I'm always partial to underdogs, and was none too pleased when Hasbro acquired WotC.

Arkham Horror is indeed based on the same fictional world of HP Lovecraft. I haven't played it yet, but as with Pathfinder, I have heard good things. Last year, I participated in the Kickstarter project for a Cthulhu campaign "Horror on the Orient Express" and hope to run it in the Victorian era, once I receive it. So much gaming to experience, so little time!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I like to play Axis and Allies "War at Sea" miniature WWII naval game. An awesome game. WotC produced six booster/sets and now nothing. Maybe they will sell the rights to another interested company and we could see some additional models. Time will tell. Regardless W@S is fun as well as easy to learn and play

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Rule One of safe weapons handling, really.

For those who don't know the others:

Rule Two: Verify the target area -- not just the target, but the area in front, behind, to either side, above, and below (is that backstop *really* going to stop a round -- or worse, spit it back?)

Rule Three: Finger off trigger until target is in sights.

Rule Four: Do not draw until you intend to shoot; do not shoot at anything you do not intend to destroy.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Rule One of safe weapons handling, really.

For those who don't know the others:

Rule Two: Verify the target area -- not just the target, but the area in front, behind, to either side, above, and below (is that backstop *really* going to stop a round -- or worse, spit it back?)

Rule Three: Finger off trigger until target is in sights.

Rule Four: Do not draw until you intend to shoot; do not shoot at anything you do not intend to destroy.
    The most important rule, #5 Control your adrenaline and hit what you aim at.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I did play Battletech a couple of times with some of the guys in my shop when I was in the military - if memory serves me correctly, the minis were cardboard.
    They made nice metal ones too but I couldn't afford them. I do have several of the boxed expansions though (so a dozen maps of mountains, cities, etc. and several dozen various cardboard 'minis') and will probably pull them out soon to start playing with the young'uns. It was a fun game and we'd cover our entire floor of the spare room with the maps.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLaborMike View Post
    My understanding is that WotC sold the rights to 3.5 to Paizo Games, and they used that to publish Pathfinder. I'm glad to hear that Paizo has done such a good job of it. In fact, I've heard rumors that they now routinely outsell 4th edition DnD, which must be a huge embarrassment to WotC if true. I'm always partial to underdogs, and was none too pleased when Hasbro acquired WotC.

Arkham Horror is indeed based on the same fictional world of HP Lovecraft. I haven't played it yet, but as with Pathfinder, I have heard good things. Last year, I participated in the Kickstarter project for a Cthulhu campaign "Horror on the Orient Express" and hope to run it in the Victorian era, once I receive it. So much gaming to experience, so little time!
    Paizo has done an admirable job with Pathfinder. Their products have pretty good production value, and they have not meandered off into new directions with the game, such as D&D appears to have done and is doing.

Let us know how Horror on the Orient Express goes. That sounds promising. One of my favorite Poirot stories.

I guess I should add British Mystery as a non-AoS hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf03809 View Post
    They made nice metal ones too but I couldn't afford them. I do have several of the boxed expansions though (so a dozen maps of mountains, cities, etc. and several dozen various cardboard 'minis') and will probably pull them out soon to start playing with the young'uns. It was a fun game and we'd cover our entire floor of the spare room with the maps.
    If memory serves me correctly, this game had broad appeal. The theme could draw folks; the tactics could draw folks; the ability to customize or enhance the robots, or whatever they were called, could draw folks. I don't remember too much of the game itself, as much as I remember we had a lot of fun playing it. I bought some of it, but since we played with a friend's stash, mine was seldom used. I gave it away when I parted with my war-game collection, some of which I have bought again on ebay for prices I would rather not think about. I should stop now, or I might find myself on ebay this evening.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Avi, do they teach Cooper's Four Rules (that being #1) in the IDF, or are you independently a student of the field? :)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Are there any old Avalon Hill "Victory in the Pacific" players out there?

Quote Originally Posted by pward View Post
    I've got a copy but haven't played it in a long time.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by pward View Post
    Yes. I played it last year for the first time in years. Had a blast.

Do you have something in mind?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

I have been told to think of Pathfinder as 3.75. I cannot express how impressed I am with the game design and support - modules, campaign settings, etc. Fortunately, the folks I play with are not rules-lawyers, no offense intended on the lawyer comment, nor is Pathfinder their life. I started running games as well, and it is a lot of fun.

Just picked up Arkham Horror and an expansion. I believe it is related to Cthulhu, even if only loosely. We have been enjoying cooperative games like Pandemic and Flash Point. It has been great because many friends who are not that into games thoroughly enjoy playing them. I am a bit amazed at how the gaming industry has developed since I stopped playing. Even traditional wargames has exploded. It is a good time to get back into playing.
    Have you tried Sentinels of the Multiverse for a cooperative game? We have a lot of fun with it and a huge variety of people, places and things.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Paizo has done an admirable job with Pathfinder. Their products have pretty good production value, and they have not meandered off into new directions with the game, such as D&D appears to have done and is doing.

Let us know how Horror on the Orient Express goes. That sounds promising. One of my favorite Poirot stories.

If memory serves me correctly, this game had broad appeal. The theme could draw folks; the tactics could draw folks; the ability to customize or enhance the robots, or whatever they were called, could draw folks. I don't remember too much of the game itself, as much as I remember we had a lot of fun playing it. I bought some of it, but since we played with a friend's stash, mine was seldom used. I gave it away when I parted with my war-game collection, some of which I have bought again on ebay for prices I would rather not think about. I should stop now, or I might find myself on ebay this evening.
    If you are interested, here is the link on the KS project for "Horror on the Orient Express."

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ium-publicatio

It's a re-boot of a campaign adventure that was published back in the 90's. It is nominally set in the 1920's, but the KS project will have supplemental material to run the game in different eras, and I really enjoy the Victorian era of the 1890's.

Battletech was a nifty game, if I recall. When I played, the emphasis in my group was on playing the "stock" Mechs, but I know there were rules to customize them for folks who enjoyed it. Not surprising that a number of the players in our group were ex-military who enjoyed wargaming, as it had that "feel" even though the setting was completely sci-fi.

And just so you know, Kickstarter has become something of my E-bay. I see projects that interest me, and I spend way too much money on them. Sigh.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Have you tried Sentinels of the Multiverse for a cooperative game? We have a lot of fun with it and a huge variety of people, places and things.
    Never heard of it, but I will check it out. Thanks.

I am impressed by some of the cooperative games we've played - very good mechanisms and replay-ability.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLaborMike View Post
    If you are interested, here is the link on the KS project for "Horror on the Orient Express."

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ium-publicatio

It's a re-boot of a campaign adventure that was published back in the 90's. It is nominally set in the 1920's, but the KS project will have supplemental material to run the game in different eras, and I really enjoy the Victorian era of the 1890's.

Battletech was a nifty game, if I recall. When I played, the emphasis in my group was on playing the "stock" Mechs, but I know there were rules to customize them for folks who enjoyed it. Not surprising that a number of the players in our group were ex-military who enjoyed wargaming, as it had that "feel" even though the setting was completely sci-fi.

And just so you know, Kickstarter has become something of my E-bay. I see projects that interest me, and I spend way too much money on them. Sigh.
    Thanks for the link.

I was just on KS and pledged for a game entitled Myth. The last few days have been crazy in terms of pledges. With 15 hours left, I finally pulled the trigger; figured with my luck, the internet would be down tomorrow or some such thing. I have delayed before when purchasing games only to regret it. Anyway, I guess there are worse vices than buying games to play with family and friends.

Myth looked interesting but with series 6 coming out for WOG and the SOG kickstarter, I had to pass on it for now.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

That's why I was on the fence. With all the activity the past 48 hours, at the $100 pledge level, one has access to all the stretch goals which now is around 100 extra minis, plus mats, etc. That's when the one little gamer on my shoulder said, "Pledge. Pledge. Pledge." What could I do. I am a victim

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

That's why I was on the fence. With all the activity the past 48 hours, at the $100 pledge level, one has access to all the stretch goals which now is around 100 extra minis, plus mats, etc. That's when the one little gamer on my shoulder said, "Pledge. Pledge. Pledge." What could I do. I am a victim
    I was that way with Rivet Wars. A bit cartoony, but I need to find games that can be engaging enough for a 17 year old and simple and fast moving enough for an 8 year old both with ADHD.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

So is anyone watching the series "Vikings" on the History Channel? If so what do you think?

Just waiting to see how his brother betrays him.
    I'm not that knowledgeable in Viking history. But I'm sure future postings will educate me.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Have you heard anything about "Letters from Whitechapel"? We've had some fun with it and it's semi-cooperative.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

So is anyone watching the series "Vikings" on the History Channel? If so what do you think?
    This first season has been good so far. Much better than that reality stuff that the History Channel has been showing as of late. Glad they are returning to history.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Have you heard anything about "Letters from Whitechapel"? We've had some fun with it and it's semi-cooperative.
    I never heard of this game, but just checked it out on BGG. It looks intriguing. I sense another purchase coming. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    This first season has been good so far. Much better than that reality stuff that the History Channel has been showing as of late. Glad they are returning to history.
    I have debated about watching this show. I feared it would turn into the same soap-operatic drivel set in a historical time period in which history plays no real part. So I am curious, Paul, why you think it is good. The opinions of folks here will probably determine whether I watch it or not.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

I was that way with Rivet Wars. A bit cartoony, but I need to find games that can be engaging enough for a 17 year old and simple and fast moving enough for an 8 year old both with ADHD.
    So is that a recommendation for Rivet Wars? I am looking for something fun for my 8 year old.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I never heard of this game, but just checked it out on BGG. It looks intriguing. I sense another purchase coming. Thanks for the heads up.

I have debated about watching this show. I feared it would turn into the same soap-operatic drivel set in a historical time period in which history plays no real part. So I am curious, Paul, why you think it is good. The opinions of folks here will probably determine whether I watch it or not.
    I like it because they incorporate inventions of the period such as a crude compass and a different ship design. Both of which helped cross open waters. I can see where you might be hesitant as was I. My wife talked me into it and I liked it. Sure there is drama, how else you going to get people like my wife. She'll fall asleep if it is just factual stuff, which I prefer. (Not her falling asleep but the facts) I also think it is good because it gets people who may not be interested in history watching something based in history and maybe, just maybe actually thinking about history too.

It's possible to get medication to get rid of the little gamer on your soldier...if you want to.