Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hobbies other than AoS

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Default Hobbies other than AoS

What are your other hobbies/interests AoS aside?

I'm a home brewer as well, been at it for just over a year. My best brews that have had the biggest buzzare a Belgian Wit, and Scottish Wee Heavy.

I wood carve Christmas ornaments in the colder months to keep myself busy.

Gaming, more board games than table top miniatures, occupies most of my time with my boys.

Sound off on what floats your boat

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I watch auto racing -- I'd be driving, but money and eyesight conspire against me.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I watch auto racing -- I'd be driving, but money and eyesight conspire against me.
    My youngest loves NASCAR, his boy Kyle Busch didn't do so well today.

I like so many things I don't know where to start, but I will.

1. Cowboy Fast Draw (CFDA).
    2. Drinking beer.
    3. Target Archery.
    4. Drinking beer.
    5. Poker.
    6. Drinking beer.
    7.Shooting Pool.
    8.Drinking beer.
    I could go on to 50 without breaking a sweat, but I don't want to hog the site.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Competitive shooter--usually whatever my range buddies from the local Sheriff's Department are doing that day, as long as it can be done with a 5"-barrel M1911A1.

Lots of aviation history... I kinda drifted over from WGF/S.

Once in a long while I build traditional scale models, and some computer gaming--mostly older stuff, but I'm just installing the Heart of the Swarm expansion for StarCraft II as I type.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Competitive shooter--usually whatever my range buddies from the local Sheriff's Department are doing that day, as long as it can be done with a 5"-barrel M1911A1.

Lots of aviation history... I kinda drifted over from WGF/S.

Once in a long while I build traditional scale models, and some computer gaming--mostly older stuff, but I'm just installing the Heart of the Swarm expansion for StarCraft II as I type.
    My older son just got HotS he and his buddies go online for an adventure quite a bit.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Here's a picture of the fruit of my labors. French farmhouse saison named "La Petite Orange Blanche". This one goes down real easy. Finished brewing an American wheat that yesterday that I'll add some peach puree into the secondary fermentor and call "Fuzzy Navel Wheat"
    Name:  221.JPG
Views: 712
Size:  3.68 MB

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

My initials are EAT. That sums up a good portion of my interests and hobbies.

Being with friends and family, so I do a lot of different things based on what others enjoy.

Film, especially Italian neorealism.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    My initials are EAT. That sums up a good portion of my interests and hobbies.

Being with friends and family, so I do a lot of different things based on what others enjoy.

Film, especially Italian neorealism.
    That's a bit deep for me. I'm a Neurobiologist, Research, for the time being, I try to make sure my hobbies/interests don't hurt my head anymore than my work does.

Quote Originally Posted by CHolgren View Post
    Here's a picture of the fruit of my labors. French farmhouse saison named "La Petite Orange Blanche". This one goes down real easy. Finished brewing an American wheat that yesterday that I'll add some peach puree into the secondary fermentor and call "Fuzzy Navel Wheat"
    Ah! If you turn that glass around I'll bet the logo says Sam Adams, my favorite. Am I right or wrong.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I'm a Neurobiologist, Research,
    Seriously? If so, I am interested in hearing more. I am embarking on some research on the intersection of neuroscience and character development, particularly the cultivation of virtues via habits and brain rewiring.

Seriously? If so, I am interested in hearing more. I am embarking on some research on the intersection of neuroscience and character development, particularly the cultivation of virtues via habits and brain rewiring.
    Interesting stuff, I work as an Optometrist and my partner here is what is known as a Behavioural Optometrist (awful term, really misleading) which deals with the visual/sensory processing problems that can inhibit the maximisation of learning capacity. It looks at how visual development (with other sensory inputs auditory, aural, propioceptive etc) has an impact on educational performance among other things, particularly learning to read and ways to deal with this.

My own non AoS and non work interests include
    AFL - Australian football, not that poor excuse for a man's game you play in the US with helmets and padding
    Computer wargames (a lot from Matrix Games- WW2, Napoleonic whatever) and board games via Cyberboard (no need to leave the game set up and play when you have the time)
    Historical reading..big library of books (1700+) heavy emphasis on Napoleonic and WW2 and WW1 but pretty much anything that grabs my fancy
    Techno thrillers - chill out time, currently reading Invasion Colorado, the third in a series set in the future dominated by China
    Board wargame collector with an emphasis on SPI product

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Nice looking beer. Looks a bit like a German Weiss and I'm guessing with the citrus it's probably not too far off from that in flavor. Although, having lived in the south, I'm also a bit curious about clear spirits which are often served in Mason jars (right, center).
    :g&t:

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

A lot of shooters here and some gun enthusiasts, too.

I've been blessed with A.D.D. so I could go on and on with hobbies I've attempted over the years. Having a family now, I try to limit my interests these days. Like some of you I do a bit of competitive shooting. I'm a pheasant hunter so mostly trap, skeet and sporting clays to stay sharp for the fall. I've been doing 3D archery the last four years, but may have to reconsider that hobby as the body is starting to show its mileage.

When I can't make it to the range, carving up digital zombies with a chainsaw on the PC does a fine job of exercising those demons from the day job.

[QUOTE= I've been blessed with A.D.D. .[/QUOTE]

Speaking of A.D.D.
    Name:  DSC04587.JPG
Views: 620
Size:  1.97 MB

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Speaking of A.D.D.
    Name:  DSC04587.JPG
Views: 620
Size:  1.97 MB
    Keep drinking, it'll come to you.

I've known a lot of USN folks with similar ink on their arms. A lot of them went by "Gunner," too. Were you a real swabby in a past life?

That's the plan.
    U.S.M.C.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

7.Shooting Pool.
    Any particular game? I used to shoot a bit of 14.1 pocket billiards - favorite game in my late teens and early twenties.

Here I am asleep on the back deck of a StuG IIIG:

Any particular game? I used to shoot a bit of 14.1 pocket billiards - favorite game in my late teens and early twenties.
    Mostly APA 8-ball.

If memory serves, in my youth 50 years ago, I used to shoot in a poolroom on or near Grand Ave. & Harlem Ave. in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    Here I am asleep on the back deck of a StuG IIIG:
    What's a Pole doing in a StuG (besides sleeping)?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Mostly APA 8-ball.

If memory serves, in my youth 50 years ago, I used to shoot in a poolroom on or near Grand Ave. & Harlem Ave. in Chicago.
    I was just at a wonderful Italian bakery this week a couple blocks north of Grand & Harlem with a new member of the Aerodrome. Wonderful Genovese cannoli.

I used to shoot in a poolroom in Oak Park, a bit south on Harlem.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Interesting stuff, I work as an Optometrist and my partner here is what is known as a Behavioural Optometrist (awful term, really misleading) which deals with the visual/sensory processing problems that can inhibit the maximisation of learning capacity. It looks at how visual development (with other sensory inputs auditory, aural, propioceptive etc) has an impact on educational performance among other things, particularly learning to read and ways to deal with this.

AFL - Australian football, not that poor excuse for a man's game you play in the US with helmets and padding
    Computer wargames (a lot from Matrix Games- WW2, Napoleonic whatever) and board games via Cyberboard (no need to leave the game set up and play when you have the time)
    Historical reading..big library of books (1700+) heavy emphasis on Napoleonic and WW2 and WW1 but pretty much anything that grabs my fancy
    Techno thrillers - chill out time, currently reading Invasion Colorado, the third in a series set in the future dominated by China
    I first became interested in neuroscience a few years ago when reading on emotional intelligence for a course I was teaching. I saw potential connections with my study of virtue ethics. I now have the time to begin some projects, and in addition to the one I previously mentioned, I am researching the use of roleplaying games in character development. I hope by this time next year, I will be able to take some students and adults through a year-long campaign in Pathfinder in which the virtues and their cultivation will play a dominant role.

So you're reading a book about a future under Chinese domination. This Tuesday, I celebrate 19 years of marriage to my lovely Chinese wife.

I first became interested in neuroscience a few years ago when reading on emotional intelligence for a course I was teaching. I saw potential connections with my study of virtue ethics. I now have the time to begin some projects, and in addition to the one I previously mentioned, I am researching the use of roleplaying games in character development. I hope by this time next year, I will be able to take some students and adults through a year-long campaign in Pathfinder in which the virtues and their cultivation will play a dominant role.

So you're reading a book about a future under Chinese domination. This Tuesday, I celebrate 19 years of marriage to my lovely Chinese wife.

So you already know everything there is to know about being dominated....

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    The 1911...my favorite also.

I know I'm probably in the minority but I prefer the 1911 Gold Cup over the Glock.

My favorite is the Single action Ruger Vaquero in 45LC.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    Nice looking beer. Looks a bit like a German Weiss and I'm guessing with the citrus it's probably not too far off from that in flavor. Although, having lived in the south, I'm also a bit curious about clear spirits which are often served in Mason jars (right, center).
    :g&t:
    that's actually a density experiment for my youngests science class. We have a new distillery the next town over they make a good white lightening though.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Do you teach at Illinois State?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Ah! If you turn that glass around I'll bet the logo says Sam Adams, my favorite. Am I right or wrong.
    You would be correct. It's a great glass for anything.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

That's the plan.
    U.S.M.C.
    Looking at the tattoo, I was going to guess you were one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. If you'd called yourself "Gunny" instead of "Gunner," I would have for sure. I spent the first half my life living on Navy bases and only ever seen forearm ink like that on Sailors and Marines. I was neither, but I trained a lot of the former in my later years. I think you guys all get your ink from the same shop in the Phillippines.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

that's actually a density experiment for my youngests science class. We have a new distillery the next town over they make a good white lightening though.
    "Density experiment." Ok, Ill play along. Gotta keep those revenuers guessing.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Hey, look at that. I just leveled up.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

I used to shoot in a poolroom in Oak Park, a bit south on Harlem.
    I used to play "cue stick in the center pocket" with a girl from Oak Park. Ah, good times. Hope she wasn't your sister.

Hey, look at that. I just leveled up.
    Congratulations! You have got your sea legs and no longer a landman.

I know I'm probably in the minority but I prefer the 1911 Gold Cup over the Glock.

My favorite is the Single action Ruger Vaquero in 45LC.
    Never have been a fan of the Glock myself.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

Thanks, Coog. Although, you may have gathered from some of my posts, I'm no "Ordinary" seaman.

I'm a BIG fan of both the Glock and the 1911. I like the Rugers, too, but never owned one myself. I'm partial to the sweet sound of the "click, click, click, click" when you draw the hammer of a Colt. I started getting into black powder these last few years and would love to add a nice 1861 Navy model to my collection.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

In addition to my SOG anticipation, I play three other miniature wargames: Lord of the Rings, Flames of War, and XWing. I enjoy numerous boardgames as well and am a bit of a pack-rat on such things.

I've been an out-of-the-closet geek since the mid-80s. My job has me spending 50+ hours a week running around inside hundreds of Unix and Linux servers spread across the country troubleshooting, configuring, tuning and enhancing middleware technologies and our apps running on them. I jump at every opportunity to learn the new technologies and train my coworkers, love writing code (but limited in experience here), and generally take on more than I should just because some of it looks fun or challenging. I've been a personal Linux user since the mid-90s and our household has been converted over for about 5 years now. My kids recognize Tux on sight.

In the Real World I enjoy outdoor activities, especially hiking and general exploring. Even more so as the kids are getting older and able to go farther and really appreciate it with us.

I used to also own a LR Discovery and do off roading with our local Rover Club. Budget and time restrictions had me sell the truck several years back, but I hope to pick up a Series II or Series III in another couple years and get back into it. Again, now that the kids are older these sort of things can become real nice family-time activities and that makes it easier to justify.

Regarding shooting...I stand at a towering 5'6" and am left handed. Between those two physical traits I have never found the Glock comfortable to shoot. Maybe it was just the model. I'm not a serious connoisseur but enjoyed target shooting while in the USAF. I had a Taurus 9mm (I was on a budget! ) and .38 but my friends had a large variety so we did a lot of sharing when we went out and it was always great fun. I managed to earn my Marksmanship ribbon on the M16 and missed it by only one shot on the .38, but that was all back in my youth. My eyes and arms aren't as sharp or steady any more. But that's why they have Full Auto.

I enjoy the discussion of ye' brewers out here. When we relocate in a year or two we plan on setting up a small project ourselves. I got a love of German beers after a couple trips over there and would love to do some of my own. So keep those chats up!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

That's the plan.
    U.S.M.C.
    Thank you for your service to our country Ed.

[QUOTE=Coyote;11926] I'm partial to the sweet sound of the "click, click, click, click" when you draw the hammer of a Colt. QUOTE]

You know what they say about Colt "click, click, click, click's", you need to buy two, one to use and one for parts. At least that's true in my case. I'm sending my SAA back to the factory for the third time.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf03809 View Post
    I play three other miniature wargames: Lord of the Rings
    How do you like this game? I have toyed around about it, but I don't know anyone who has played it.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Do you teach at Illinois State?
    No. I teach at a small private college about 30 minutes away, but reside in Bloomington. After 17 years, I still can't call Bloomington home; that will always be Chicago. I attended ISU for my MBA; made some great friends there - profs and students.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

[QUOTE=Gunner;11945]
    I'm partial to the sweet sound of the "click, click, click, click" when you draw the hammer of a Colt. QUOTE]

You know what they say about Colt "click, click, click, click's", you need to buy two, one to use and one for parts. At least that's true in my case. I'm sending my SAA back to the factory for the third time.
    I can't argue with you there. I've had some quality issues with some original colt semi-autos. On the SASS circuit, how do the Uberti knock-offs fair? I've had a lot of good luck with Beretta shotguns so I've been leaning Uberti for the Navy model.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

No. I teach at a small private college about 30 minutes away, but reside in Bloomington. After 17 years, I still can't call Bloomington home; that will always be Chicago. I attended ISU for my MBA; made some great friends there - profs and students.
    I feel the same after 20years in Illinois, I always say I grew up in Montana.

[QUOTE=Coyote;11961]

On the SASS circuit,
    I am also a SASS member, SASS18551 Life. But for the last four years I've been shooting Cowboy Fast Draw (CFDA).
    The next time I visit the Windy City I'll PM you and see if we can get together for a shoot with your club.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Charles

I've never shot SASS. My club does cowboy action one weekend a month, May through November. It looks like a lot of fun, but I'm anchored by a family now. I try to limit my shooting to whatever gets me in shape for the hunting season. Still, there's plenty of other shooting going on up here if you're ever up this way. I've also been known to wet a line or two. Don't tell anyone, but I have it on good authority that there's a HUGE lake full of fish in these parts. It's a well-kept secret, but I can get you in. I know a guy.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

How do you like this game? I have toyed around about it, but I don't know anyone who has played it.
    I enjoy GW's Strategy Battle Game (SBG) version very much. It did a great job, IMO, capturing the flavor of the stories and films. With the Hobbit release they did a minor overhaul of the rules and though I have a few minor gripes about the changes I find most of them reasonable. I still have to get a lot more table time with the changes though to really be sure.

They also release a large-scale-battle version called War of the Ring a couple years back. It is fun in its own way but deviates too much from the feeling of Middle Earth for me to be totally hooked. Our group played it for a while and will probably play it again on occasion but it just doesn't nail Tolkien's work as closely as SBG.

GW being who they are though, we get some over-the-top creations and a little bit of stat-creep (not nearly as bad as many of their other games from my understanding). But the nail in the coffin for me lately has been the massive price increases. I'm used to a little increase per year but at this point plastic rank-and-file troops are costing more than 2x what they were perhaps 3 years ago, and Hero troops are even worse. I can reasonably see $20 or so for an SOG ship which also includes the double sided Ship Log, base, card, etc. Especially in a game where you may only have a couple models on the table at a time. But $20+ for a single 28mm figure, unpainted, is not attractive. Add in the fact that you need probably 3-5 of them in a typical army, and another $60 - $90 for the cheapest foot soldier models and they lost me as a customer. Thankfully I have a couple hundred models in backlog to be painted in addition to my forces already complete. There is also usually a good second hand market out there as people sell off collections when they shift hobbies.

If you already have some armies collected, or you catch some good deals on ebay, or you happen to be one of the lucky ones that can absorb the costs without much burden, then I would recommend the game for anyone with an interest in Tolkien's worlds and the film adaptations. But for 'struggling hobbiests' I would have to caution you on the potential investment.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf03809 View Post
    Regarding shooting...I stand at a towering 5'6" and am left handed. Between those two physical traits I have never found the Glock comfortable to shoot. Maybe it was just the model. I'm not a serious connoisseur but enjoyed target shooting while in the USAF. I had a Taurus 9mm (I was on a budget! ) and .38 but my friends had a large variety so we did a lot of sharing when we went out and it was always great fun. I managed to earn my Marksmanship ribbon on the M16 and missed it by only one shot on the .38, but that was all back in my youth. My eyes and arms aren't as sharp or steady any more. But that's why they have Full Auto.
    Same height, same hand--you might look at a Rock Island or a Springfield GI 1911, it you're willing to accept the higher level of responsibility and requirements that come with single-action autoloader Cocked & Locked. Upgrade the sights to something like Novaks and you might be set.

Really, the ONLY thing a 1911 needs for the southpaw is an ambi safety--some of us can work mag releases and slide-stops better with our trigger fingers than righthanders with thumbs, AND it has the added advantage of not weakening grip. (Less important on the range, but a lot of my observations come from being trained as a defensive shooter first and foremost.)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Japheth

For me - Learning

Reading. I generally have a fiction and a non-fiction going at all times.

Shooting - Qual'ed expert in every weapon system as an MP. My dad started me with my first rifle when I was nine and had me shooting 1/2" red beads at 50m with iron sights.

I've kept that up with an okay few arms.

MN-44 carbine,
    Browning A-5 12
    Luger (police issue)
    S&W M&P 45compact/mil safety,
    2 replica Rem New Army 44's,
    ruger 10/22,
    ruger Mk2,
    Marlin 22 sa (the aforementioned first gun)

As Gunner is, I am a fan of the Vaquero (and Ruger in general), I owned a P94DC, 44 SuperBlackHawk, etc. but sold them to friends and family. My dad has one, so I don't need one. :)

Aside from reading and shooting, I love board games, and hate (but still play) 40k (IG, SM:DA, SoB), Paintball (really more of a memory, but I still own the equipment).

I also like to write (mainly poetry, short essays, and flash fiction)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Like I said it's for the time being. I did my undergrad in Biology/Psychology and wanted to go into developmental neurobiology, but the wife and I had kids earlier than planned and the time was never right to go back. Don't regret the time with my kids at all. I manage a Stroke/Parkinsons research lab, but I apply my skills to any project where there's money.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post

I spent two years working with an Ophthamologist on POAG. Interesting work, but the PI was difficult to work with to say the least.