View Poll Results: Would You Participate in a Kickstater for a War of 1812 Expansion?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

84 56.38%
  • No

25 16.78%
  • Not sure

40 26.85%

Thread: Would You Participate in a Kickstater for a War of 1812 Expansion?

Threaded View

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    kevin

Default Getting back to the original question...

Getting back to the original question, I would not be quick to pledge 1812. Like others, I want to spend some time with this system before I'd invest even more in it.

But the idea of the lake battles, in particular, seems interesting, and might be more attuned to the game scale and structure. Folks who are talking Trafalgar-- or even the Nile-- will, I think, find things very difficult.

I've gotten to demo some very "big" WoW sessions-- but that has meant, at most, 12 players/planes on the board at the same time. As much fun as the 'target rich environment' is, things do slow down. From what I can see of the system for SoG, playing 6 on 6 will take a lot more time.

So something like a lake battle, with a limited number of ships and many of those having very few guns, might move faster and be more interesting in the long run.

As for the plane/release discussion... I also have to shake my head in concern. I've been eager to get the Me110 to flesh out the "Battle of Britain" that we couldn't quite do with the first 2 series, but the Beaufighter has such limited value in dog-fighting (be woe to anyone who gets in front of it) that I doubt I'll ever get one. The biplanes also seem a very odd release at this time.
    The "series 3" releases to relaunch the WoG system have sparked a lot of "say what?" when folks see the planes. The fact it's impossible to use the four planes for anything remotely historical against each other is not a big seller... WW1 has been more interesting and I grasp that Ares was likely trapped into Nexus' production pipeline, which is why their first WW1 releases were big bombers, followed by early war. I'm glad to see Series 1 return, but Series 6... given the span of use between the Sop Triplane and the SS D-3... oh my. The tripe is too new for early war-- too old for the Series 1 re-releases...or indeed, anything except the Series 3 releases and the Whale, none of which they should assume their buyers own. At least the Aviatik and some of the Hanroits can reasonably fight one another. And not having any 2-seaters for new customers to buy, for probably at least a year to come... makes things look very good for ebay resellers but I don't follow the business logic.

I think Ares feels trapped between supporting original Nexus customers (which most Aerodrome folks probably are) and attracting new business, but I don't follow much how they are really being successful with either.

Sorry-- I'll revert back to talking only ships on the ship forum. Ares gets to make a totally new start here and I look forward to seeing how they play it.
    Last edited by kduke42; 04-26-2013 at 15:34.