It really sounds like a lot of people (myself including) think that having multiple players controlling individual ships (possibly doubling up if small ships) may be the most engaging method of play. One interesting thing that came from some of those was the concern that in an AoS game coordination between the ships is not nearly as good as anything more modern where radios (or holographic tactical theater displays) are available. So having freedom of communication between the players on a team is a little bit of a spoil.

From those side conversations I was thinking a great way to do it would be to let the teams talk among themselves as much as they wanted in advance of play, but once the game starts they can no longer do so, except perhaps if they were within "Musket Range". For any other communication it would be fun to use Signal Flag cards. Something that a player can hold up for his team either to give orders, convey situation or request help.

Now, real nautical signals were a book to themselves. Though you do need such detail for the massive information of a real engagement in a game it should be simplified but still have enough variety to handle most typical in-game communication. I am thinking of laminated cards (somewhere between 1"x2" and 'business card' size) and a laminated reference sheet. I would only have one set that is used by both sides as trying to do nation-specific ones gets cumbersome and confusing.

Examples:
Basic Number (0-9) and directional (Port / Starboard )
Turn as formation ( + directional )
Turn individually ( + directional )
Form order of sailing in (+ number) columns
Make more sail
Reduce sail
Interchange places in the line

and of course...
Engage the enemy more closely

Of course, players would also be free to make up their own flags for special signals to share with their team.

So...before I reinvent the wheel I would like to ask any players here that have been in AoS games for a while if they were already familiar with something out there.

Otherwise I'll probably work on the basics of this while waiting for the game and finalize it once I see what is done during play and how players want to communicate. I will likely leverage graphics of traditional signal flags though change their meaning somewhat when needed.

I'm sure communication in this manner will NOT be perfect and I don't want it to be.

Thoughts, comments, feedback, references and rum always appreciated...