Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SOG Game Mat versus... well, something else

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by RichardPF View Post
    It's always a bit hard to visualize how things will go beforehand, but my thought was to have basically 8 different possible settings for the wind based on aligning a side of the 8 sided AI with one or the other of the grid lines.

Then the wind position could be accurately transferred from the "master" setting to anywhere on the game board by aligning the AI with the gridline that was closest to the ship.

Advanced/house rules could then allow for wind shift possibilities at set intervals during the game where a low liklihood random event test (die roll, etc) could cause the wind to shift by one "side" of the AI.

Pehaps rolling a pair of dice each X turns. A roll of 2 or 12 with 2 dice would cause the wind to shift by one side of the AI base in the designated direction with rolls of 3-11 causing no shift.

The enhancement I could see to this would be to use a 16 sided AI rather than 8 sided so that the initial wind setting, and potential wind shifts, would be in 2 point rather than 4 point increments.

From everything I’ve seen and read in the rules and other files Ares has sent me, this is all included in the rules as written. For changes to the wind direction and strength, you draw from a special set of random chits. Aligning the sides of the AI to the grid is how you keep things as accurate as possible.

As for the 16 sided AI, I’m to windward on you for that one

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    This initial mat IS going to be plain OPEN Water. Just want to make sure you guys realize this, not really yelling you at you.
    This is some yelling I would welcome. Thanks. I will order more.

Keith, based on your experience, 4 mats should suffice for larger scenarios, and 2 mats should suffice for up to 6 ships. Correct?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

I know that this has been asked before, but here goes:
    Are we certain that the SoG maps will have the 'faint grid'?

I've seen some 'best guesses', but have not heard anything that completely confirms that we will get the grids for sure.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dale

This is a definitive yes. The Royal Hajj and Ares have answered on this. There WILL be faint grid lines to aid game play. We will not be able to see it before the KS ends as the artwork is not ready. Have faith they will be as nice as the WGF mats are. If you don't like yours I will give you $20 plus shipping and I will add it to my colection

Awards Officer
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by GrouperKicker View Post
    I know that this has been asked before, but here goes:
    Are we certain that the SoG maps will have the 'faint grid'?

I've seen some 'best guesses', but have not heard anything that completely confirms that we will get the grids for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by daledavis67 View Post
    This is a definitive yes. The Royal Hajj and Ares have answered on this. There WILL be faint grid lines to aid game play. We will not be able to see it before the KS ends as the artwork is not ready. Have faith they will be as nice as the WGF mats are. If you don't like yours I will give you $20 plus shipping and I will add it to my colection
    I think that any confusion that there might be on this is because in the absence of having the finished mats to use in pictures, the WINGS coastal mat has occasionally been used as a stand-in with the ship models.

That mat does not have a grid and does have some land masses.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

This initial mat IS going to be plain OPEN Water. Just want to make sure you guys realize this, not really yelling you at you.
    My apologies. I must have missed that conversation. Thank you for clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    This is some yelling I would welcome. Thanks. I will order more.

Keith, based on your experience, 4 mats should suffice for larger scenarios, and 2 mats should suffice for up to 6 ships. Correct?
    The game I ran Sunday turned into a running battle with one ship left out detached and would have needed (4) of the 39"x27" mats. Usually the players cluster and smack each other silly, but this one got pretty spread out.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Sorry, missed this part. Yes, those amounts of mats should work fine for just about all non convention games.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    tom

Keith what do yo think the mats will cost after KS?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by tmon View Post
    Keith what do yo think the mats will cost after KS?
    Unless there is something significantly different about these mats, and I haven't read anything to that effect, they will go for the same price as the mats for Wings of Glory. They're about $31, plus shipping. At a local game store, they might go for $40.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Tom, GLM got ti right above. Look for them to be $40 full retail and $31 via my AA site.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Ted

Tom, GLM got ti right above. Look for them to be $40 full retail and $31 via my AA site.
    Why is the retail price $5 higher then the Wings mats? Is there something different from them in design or material? I would think (not correctly) that the printing is simpler then the Wings mats.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barrelman View Post
    Why is the retail price $5 higher then the Wings mats? Is there something different from them in design or material? I would think (not correctly) that the printing is simpler then the Wings mats.
    I think that depends on where you buy it. I have seen the WoG mats vary from $29 to 39. I bought a set of three for $80 so $26 ea. (individually $29). I am getting one extra plus my LT level freebie and if they look great and work better than my current 8'x6' mat, I'll buy more.

Eric

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Sorry about that, they were initially reported at $39.99, but changed to a MSRP of $35.99. Too much stuff to keep track of sometimes!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    The game I ran Sunday turned into a running battle with one ship left out detached and would have needed (4) of the 39"x27" mats. Usually the players cluster and smack each other silly, but this one got pretty spread out.
    Sorry, missed this part. Yes, those amounts of mats should work fine for just about all non convention games.
    Thanks for the confirmation. I imagine if a chase occurs, mats can be rotated as necessary.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Or just say night falls or a squaw conceals the enemy ship once they hit the edge of the map. There are lots of good narratives one could write up so it's not just "he left the gaming surface.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dale

Or you can slap a WoG Coastal map on the end and say thats as far as you can run

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

Edge of map == Edge of world
    grab the ship, tell him it was eaten by a giant dragon, and slip it into your pocket.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Or just say night falls or a squaw conceals the enemy ship once they hit the edge of the map. There are lots of good narratives one could write up so it's not just "he left the gaming surface.
    I can understand in WoG about going off the edge of a map as being out of the game - planes did not have unlimited fuel supplies to pursue, etc. I think with SoG, if one ship wants to pursue, and if the wind is such as to make it possible, I will adopt some sort of rule to keep the game in play as long as it does not take away from other game play. I see another place for house rule discussion.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    tom

Well I don't think I will be buying any too soon considering that after I receive my KS I'll have 6 mats.

In single games it probably wouldn't matter if a ship left the board as victory conditions could address the matter. In a campaign it could definitely matter. A ship sunk or captured could have an effect on future battles.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

or a squaw conceals the enemy ship
    Do you often find Indian women sitting on your gaming table? >;)

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Do you often find Indian women sitting on your gaming table? >;)
    That was inoffensively funny.

I'm just surprised it took 24 hours for Chris to jump on it!

After a little research, some folks have printed off larger vinyl maps at print shops and FedEx/Kinkos, but with some mixed reviews due to slickness. Others have printed off smaller map, some laminated, and pieced together larger surfaces.

Here are two sites folks have purchased from as well:
    http://gameonterrainmats.com/aerial-view-terrain-mat
    http://www.hotzmats.com/index.html
    Has anyone here bought mats from either of these companies?

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Gunners, the Game On mats is what we have been using at Origins these past couple of years. They provided them free of charge to us and even gave one to us to give to Steve (Guntruck over on the Aerodrome) as a gift that we all signed the back of. I also use them for my local game and local con events. Along with the official mats, the Game On mats are the best I've used.

Thanks Keith, I'm leaning over the edge to get their 4'x8' to fit inside my pool table.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    I'm just surprised it took 24 hours for Chris to jump on it!:happy:
    I was waiting for someone else to take up the challenge.

Bunch of bleedin' wimps 'round here. >;)

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Chris, I think Fearless Leader was deliberately baiting you. :P

Gunners, the Game On mats is what we have been using at Origins these past couple of years. They provided them free of charge to us and even gave one to us to give to Steve (Guntruck over on the Aerodrome) as a gift that we all signed the back of. I also use them for my local game and local con events. Along with the official mats, the Game On mats are the best I've used.
    Holy crap the pattern on their water mat looks cool. I hope the Sails of Glory mats look that cool.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

That's a good endorsement.

Do you know if they're still in business or have a phone # for them. I tried to place an order on line a couple of times but it wouldn't take.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Have you tried their email address? greenmanterrain@aol.com

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Here is another mat site:

http://terrainmat.com/

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Do you know if they're still in business or have a phone # for them. I tried to place an order on line a couple of times but it wouldn't take.
    As far as I know they are. I'll try and remember to call Luis this afternoon when I get home.

Have you tried their email address? greenmanterrain@aol.com
    Yes I did. No response yet.

Here is another mat site:

http://terrainmat.com/
    Do you know anyone who has one of their mats?

Able Seaman
    Israel

Log Entries
    Name
    Avi

RE Picking up and moving the "Wind Indicator" -
    You just use a parallel rulers, you all have them to navigate don't you?

And if you do have the delight of playing with a "rules layer" you can use your authoritative voice to explain that:
    A) local wind variations exist (aka Wind-shear).
    B) This is a simulation and the actual ship speed does not change exactly on the line.
    C) When the argument is about "taken aback" you can explain that the ships course is not exact and any helmsman worth his salt will steer it as close as possible to the wind.

D) WHY BOTHER ARGUING WITH RULE LAYERS just quote ''Henry VI,'' Part II, act IV, Scene II, Line 73...

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Do you know anyone who has one of their mats?
    No. I came across this when looking for a phone number to your earlier request.

Some nice stuff though.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    D) WHY BOTHER ARGUING WITH RULE LAYERS just quote ''Henry VI,'' Part II, act IV, Scene II, Line 73...
    Looks like we come from the same neighborhood.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Chris, I think Fearless Leader was deliberately baiting you. :P
    Well, he needs to work on his technique -- he certainly hasn't mastered it.... >;)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    RE Picking up and moving the "Wind Indicator" -
    You just use a parallel rulers, you all have them to navigate don't you?

And if you do have the delight of playing with a "rules layer" you can use your authoritative voice to explain that:
    A) local wind variations exist (aka Wind-shear).
    B) This is a simulation and the actual ship speed does not change exactly on the line.
    C) When the argument is about "taken aback" you can explain that the ships course is not exact and any helmsman worth his salt will steer it as close as possible to the wind.

I plan to use two. One will be the "standard" and will never be moved, the other will move about , following the ships. When the AI that moves is placed, both players will need to agree as to the placement. Once that is done, no arguing or changing until it needs to be moved again.