View Poll Results: What's your favorite sea ditty?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blow the Man Down

12 16.90%
  • Drunken Sailor

40 56.34%
  • In the Navy

10 14.08%
  • Beyond the Sea

7 9.86%
  • Das Leibe Schiff

2 2.82%

Thread: Favorite Nautical Tune

Hybrid View

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Chicago BBQ must have something to do with Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle."
    True on several levels. I think Chicago culture is definitely unique and tied to its history fairly strongly. My wife and I watched a documentary on Chicago from its founding to 1900; it helped me make sense of some of our habits almost a century later.

I like Texas BBQ - just wish the Texas BBQ places up here put more time and effort in the food and less in the thematic decor.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    just wish the Texas BBQ places up here put more time and effort in the food and less in the thematic decor.
    I've been to many an "Irish pub" with that problem.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Well that's more information on BBQ than I probably expected! I'm still "choking" on getting takeaway from someone behind bullet proof glass, you guys live in a truly different world
    This isn't everywhere - you need not fear visiting the States. You will find that those on the Anchorage from the Chicagoland area live in very different types of neighborhoods with very different types of cultures. The Southside is probably unique in that way - a bit rougher than most areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    I've been to many an "Irish pub" with that problem.
    Same is very true here.

This isn't everywhere - you need not fear visiting the States. You will find that those on the Anchorage from the Chicagoland area live in very different types of neighborhoods with very different types of cultures. The Southside is probably unique in that way - a bit rougher than most areas. Same is very true here.
    I don't think I've ever seen a place in Texas where you get takeout food from someone behind bulletproof glass. Of course down here not just the criminals have guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a place in Texas where you get takeout food from someone behind bulletproof glass. Of course down here not just the criminals have guns.
    That's the one good thing about Texas and don't forget Arizona, it's legal for residents to carry. Places like LA, New York, Chicago etc just Cops and criminals carry them.

PS Almost forgot to add politicians.
    Last edited by Gunner; 05-04-2013 at 02:57.

I like Texas BBQ - just wish the Texas BBQ places up here put more time and effort in the food and less in the thematic decor.
    It's like that with so called authentic restaurants in other places. I shudder to think what Mexican food is like up there.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cory

True on several levels. I think Chicago culture is definitely unique and tied to its history fairly strongly. My wife and I watched a documentary on Chicago from its founding to 1900; it helped me make sense of some of our habits almost a century later.

Make a trip to the north side and try Smoque, on Pulaski just south of Irving Park, They've some of the best around Chicago. Be warned, your seated where there's room, so you may be at a table with a total stranger.