Thread: Shapeways SOG Ships

Hybrid View

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Not sure if this is still the case but when I looked on Shapeways a day or so ago it looked like each piece was a separate order. Why is that, and not a single code that includes all the pieces? Is this an effect of the change in Shapeways pricing policy which means its actually cheaper for the buyer to list order each piece separately than have them combined?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Gina

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Not sure if this is still the case but when I looked on Shapeways a day or so ago it looked like each piece was a separate order. Why is that, and not a single code that includes all the pieces? Is this an effect of the change in Shapeways pricing policy which means its actually cheaper for the buyer to list order each piece separately than have them combined?
    David: I updated the site yesterday with "Order as a Kit" buttons that let you put the complete multipart kit in your shopping cart with a single click. Makes it much easier than it was before. You still can't buy a chess set or a toy puzzle as a single item on Shapeways, but if the set listing has that "buy as a kit" button, then you will find all the chessmen or puzzle pieces automatically placed in your cart for you.

Coog is right about the advantages of being able to order only a hull and then customize it from there, if you like.
    But there were other reasons why I set the ships up as kits of separate parts on Shapeways:
    1. Shapeways prefers that because it's easier for them to orient the separate part files in their printer for optimal printing. If I uploaded each ship as a single model with multiple pieces in the file, then any problem with any single part design or its orientation would cause the whole model to be rejected.
    2. By offering a ship as a kit of separately purchased parts, I can fix and upgrade specific aspects of the model more easily and quickly on the site if I need to.

The ships wouldn't cost any different if they were purchased as one item or as a kit of multiple items, since Shapeways charges by the volume of material the part uses. Many Shapeways sellers have asked the company to let a kit be sold as one item. But so far, the best they've been able to offer is the "buy as a kit" button.