Hybrid View

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Michael

First impressions:

1. I dipped the fret in Blacken-it. First mistake: I left the fret in the solution too long.
    2. I was worried about how to cut the ratlines without breaking anything. I needn't have worried. The individual ratlines just fell from the fret. This is probably because the Blacken-It corroded the tiny threads that kept the ratlines attached to the fret.
    3. They are as delicate as spider webs. Do not touch the shrouds or ratlines except at the very apex of the shrouds, with a very gentle touch, using fine tweezers. Do not use your fingers. I of course learned this the hard way, breaking numerous delicate connections of the spider web. First attempt, I ruined 50% of the individual parts.

I will press on, having learned a thing or two. However as beautiful as these ratlines are, they are so delicate that they will not survive heavy handed assembly or later game play. Maybe the Blacken-It weakened the brass too much. However paint would destroy them altogether. I will try a quick application of Blacken it next time and then neutralize the chemical reaction. I think a water bath would do this.

It will be interesting to see how others are finding them. At this point, I fear they may be too good for the Ares models, and just too fragile. A more robust approach along the lines of Rod Langton's brass shrouds might be the answer. I love them, but.....

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mdavis41 View Post
    First impressions:

1. I dipped the fret in Blacken-it. First mistake: I left the fret in the solution too long.
    2. I was worried about how to cut the ratlines without breaking anything. I needn't have worried. The individual ratlines just fell from the fret. This is probably because the Blacken-It corroded the tiny threads that kept the ratlines attached to the fret.
    3. They are as delicate as spider webs. Do not touch the shrouds or ratlines except at the very apex of the shrouds, with a very gentle touch, using fine tweezers. Do not use your fingers. I of course learned this the hard way, breaking numerous delicate connections of the spider web. First attempt, I ruined 50% of the individual parts.

I will press on, having learned a thing or two. However as beautiful as these ratlines are, they are so delicate that they will not survive heavy handed assembly or later game play. Maybe the Blacken-It weakened the brass too much. However paint would destroy them altogether. I will try a quick application of Blacken it next time and then neutralize the chemical reaction. I think a water bath would do this.

It will be interesting to see how others are finding them. At this point, I fear they may be too good for the Ares models, and just too fragile. A more robust approach along the lines of Rod Langton's brass shrouds might be the answer. I love them, but.....
    I've never used Blacken-It but from what I just read on some model ship forums it can destroy small brass parts pretty quickly?

I haven't received my brass ratlines yet, but I do appreciate your posting some warnings and advice. They do look rather delicate, which was the real attraction for any of the ship models I've been working on; Ares, Langton or GHQ. Are the sheets protected on both side with a peel off film? I'm wondering if some work should be done before the second film is removed from the frets? If there's only one side of film then working of the clean brass side first?