Thread: AAR - January 2015 Mission When the Fog Lifts by ShadowDragon

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Well done again Paul.
    By far the best way to go at it if you are a Pirate or under Letters of Marque. Hit them fast and furious. I would also discount the first two casualties on a ship of those persuasions as that accounts for the overmanning of such vessels in order to provide prize crews. You should also get first dibs in boarding actions for the same reason.
    I am, enjoying these escapades very much. let me know once you reach the 5 AARs for 2015 campaign. Aarrrrr!
    Rob.
    Glad you enjoyed the story, Rob. The very short game gave me the opportunity to embellish and make the complete shift from 'respectable' French naval officer to 'scandalous' Pirate as well as set up hero and hero's arch-nemesis. Fleshing it out, there'll be opportunities to add captures, rescues, etc. that aren't as easily done with Wings of Glory games.

Will do for the 5 AARs.

Letters of Marque are the way to go. I'd prefer a Letter of Marque (LoM) from a newly independent Latin American (or Caribbean) country but the historical timeline is a bit later than the 1790s and there's always the question of whether or not the country providing the LoM is recognized by the major powers and whether or not that country is at war with the targeted country (mostly Spain but also France - less likely Britain due to its naval power). That's if I stay historical and with pirate stories it's always a bit of myth involved.

I did think about a LoM from a major power but the more I read about piracy in the late 18th/early 19th century it seemed to me that I had to somehow include the slave trade - which makes the arch-villain, Lamontagne, even more villainous. Reading about the slave trade and slave revolts in the Caribbean colonies kind of put me off the major powers. FYI - Jean Lafitte's LoM was from a newly independent Columbia, from what I read on internet, and he avoided attacking American ships. So the enemy will more likely be French and Spanish as they will be less capable of hunting pirates down.

I haven't fully sorted it all out and perhaps I'll need to go with a mythological timeline where historical events happen but not necessarily in the same sequence as they did in real life. So more Pirates of the Caribbean than real life stuff.

And, of course, where would a pirate story be without a female, pirate heroine?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post

I haven't fully sorted it all out and perhaps I'll need to go with a mythological timeline where historical events happen but not necessarily in the same sequence as they did in real life. So more Pirates of the Caribbean than real life stuff.

And, of course, where would a pirate story be without a female, pirate heroine?
    Go for it Paul.
    Certainly, the later Scenarios which were written by me and also some of Neil's were open to interpretation. I always tried to write open ended ones to allow for the size and number of ships available to all the players, and to have several ways of solving the mission depending on your ability to think outside the box. Ie. do you make a night attack, cut out the ships, send in a fire ship, or try to remove the defending fortifications first. The use of bomb vessels in some cases was a ruse to winkle out some ships. Basically if you fancy your chances do it. taking on and beating a superior force always proves gratifying unless you lose your Captain or Lieutenant in the action.
    As long as you have fun playing the game that is all that really matters. So good luck to you sir says I.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Go for it Paul.
    Certainly, the later Scenarios which were written by me and also some of Neil's were open to interpretation. I always tried to write open ended ones to allow for the size and number of ships available to all the players, and to have several ways of solving the mission depending on your ability to think outside the box. Ie. do you make a night attack, cut out the ships, send in a fire ship, or try to remove the defending fortifications first. The use of bomb vessels in some cases was a ruse to winkle out some ships. Basically if you fancy your chances do it. taking on and beating a superior force always proves gratifying unless you lose your Captain or Lieutenant in the action.
    As long as you have fun playing the game that is all that really matters. So good luck to you sir says I.

Rob.
    All I can say is.....ARRRRR thar be blood and plunder aplenty followed by drinkin' and wenchin' aplenty!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    All I can say is.....ARRRRR thar be blood and plunder aplenty followed by drinkin' and wenchin' aplenty!
    I'll drink to that.

Well it didn't take you long to get cracking on 2015, I think there are a few outstanding scenarios in this year so I'm sure you'll enjoy playing th hem and we shall enjoy reading them.

Pirates Ahhhh Jim lad and shiver me timbers. Whatever that means.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I'll drink to that.

Well it didn't take you long to get cracking on 2015, I think there are a few outstanding scenarios in this year so I'm sure you'll enjoy playing th hem and we shall enjoy reading them.

I've scanned the scenarios, so I have a general plot line in mind. Of course, the games will make hash of that.

"....shiver me timbers. Whatever that means. " We'll have none of that innuendo, double entendre, shivering of timbers and what not here... This be a family story here, me bucko, Long John. Arrrrrrrrr.

Oh don't mind the parrot. He thinks he's getting the lead role in the Diz flick. Personally I think he's too....well, too...whatever it is, it's too too for a Disney movie.

And thanks for the rep.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 02-11-2021 at 18:18.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And I told you to keep vermin infested parrots out ove this Paul. We all know the rules about no Polly ticks.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

And I told you to keep vermin infested parrots out ove this Paul. We all know the rules about no Polly ticks.

Rob.
    No worries, any parrot will have been treated for vermin. So Polly without the verminy ticks.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I'll drink to that.

I'm more worried about Avast behind.
    Rob.

I'm more worried about Avast behind.
    Rob.
    Certainly that's a worry for a certain town governor who's "lay down low with gold" plus "broad and fat and loose in the stays".