Thread: The log for pirate ship Blood Raven

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Since chasers were primarily used to damage rigging, what about simply allowing a one-chit draw from the "C" counter bag, without losing an entire broadside? We're only talking about a couple of guns at most.
    Ooo, thanks for that insight. I hadn't really thought about it that way. Since they were used in a chase, they were unlikely to be used for hull damage, but instead used to slow the target down.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
    Ooo, thanks for that insight. I hadn't really thought about it that way. Since they were used in a chase, they were unlikely to be used for hull damage, but instead used to slow the target down.
    This way, your rule would have the simplicity you're looking for, while adding a bit of flavor. After your previous comment (#21), I saw that my original idea was a bit clunky. Whatever you implement, please let us know how it goes.

Have you decided to use the firing arc as the arc between the two forward partial-broadside arcs? I think that is a pretty easy solution, and it eliminates the need to redo the cards.

Are you creating a scenario in which chase is a major part? If so, I would like to hear what you are doing. I think the pirate ships lend themselves to some interesting encounters and scenario objectives that add flavor beyond simply a British-French engagement of the same classes of ships.

Last weekend, I ran the first game in our newly forming WoG/SoG gaming group. We used one of David's (Clipper) 1/144 scale Zeppelins. The visual caught the attention of onlookers, two of whom were young lads. I ran into them yesterday at the game store, and they mentioned it while they were looking at WoG planes. I think pirate ships could have the same effect for SoG, especially for younger players. They could serve as a gateway into more historical engagements.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Arc is between two forward arcs. I don't have a chase scenario done up. I'm just trying to flesh out the rules for the ship as I'm envisioning how it will all work. It's possibly going to get used in the fog bank scenario this coming weekend. It will be the self defending objective from both sides if it makes it. I still have a few things to do for now and later it will get ratlines and maybe rigging as well, but here's the latest:
    Name:  Blood Raven photo, 080314.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  172.2 KB