Threaded View

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Lawrence

Default Smoke Problem?

Greetings all.

Although I cracked open my KS box a week or so ago, I actually just got into my "extras" last night. The wood components look good on first look but I was surprised by the smoke markers.

From the images I was expecting a fairly solid foam or hard plastic piece with some lightly molded in 'smoke pattern' impressions that could be colored in if interested. What I have though is not the quality I was expecting considering how great everything else is. They are very thin and feel fragile. In fact one was cracked in half with only the paper outsides holding it together. And the paper...?????? As you can see from this pic they are covered in a medium-brown (sorry...my phone's flash makes them look more yellow) paper with some having the 'smoke pattern' printed. One side of one smoke marker is a clean print but all other markers have one or both sides with red which you can see is basically writing that was on the paper when it was cut and attached.

And I know I mentioned the fragility already but I'm serious about this. It feels like my Frigate masts are 5x more durable than these things are. Even if they looked decent, which they don't, I would be afraid of using them. The one that came cracked in shipping gives a good idea. The others feel like they would snap if someone is fiddling and gives them even a little bend or twist. If you're familiar with sheetrock, with the fragile compound sandwiched between two sheets of paper, that's the impression these give me.

I have not looked into contacting the company yet on this but before I do wanted to see what everyone else go so I know what I should have expected...

Still super thrilled with everything else so far!!! Great quality and worth the wait if it wasn't for this one issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images