Thread: What's in a name, and why that particular Avatar

Threaded View

Default What's in a name, and why that particular Avatar

I see so many interesting names, and avatars, and I know each has to have it's own story. So I thought a good Thread would be, why did you pick your name? And then what inspired your avatar?

I guess I need to start this off by explaining my name and lack of avatar.

Due to some personal projects, I hold a queens commission for Marsupials, specifically the Eastern Grey Kangaroo.

As it has been explained to me, a commissioned officer of the queen starts at the rank of captain, so there you have it. Captain Kangaroo! ( a person I have come to admire, if you read his bio)

My chosen avatar will be my pennant, or more correct, my house flag, which I will not display until I have taken command of my fleet. (Very soon now...)

I will at least show it here for the purposes of the thread.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  81.1 KB

This is based on some old family heraldry which is nautical in theme due to a long history with the sea.

The earliest I am aware of is an Admiral Thomas Tucker of the West Indies in the 1740's.

Apparently he was present at the demise of Teach, or more commonly Black Beard. (There is some speculation as to who was the bigger rogue though.) I think he was still young and starting out at that time. I wish I had more info.

I did find a Bio that may be correct, which made for some interesting reading, similar to Hornblower's Life, had he been real.

I thought a pennant was more unique, plus there wasn't any visual information I could use.

I look forward to hearing some of the stories to the others in the Anchorage.

Please share!
    Last edited by Cpt Kangaroo; 08-10-2013 at 19:03.