Hybrid View

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I was down below at one point and looked out the windward windows and thought about a picture, but it didn't happen. The problem with photographing crazy seas-states is that there's rarely anything in the frame as a reference, so the scale is lost. My thought while down below involved the horizon obscured by the waves. That sort of works like a reference point, it'sjust hard to photograph.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

From Onancock, we headed north again to Bivalve, Maryland on the Nanticoke River.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Found you on my map Dobbs.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The following morning we tied up at the Slaughter Creek marina to explore the island. A funny thing was that the marina owner informed us that he had a bunch of bicycles we were free to use, but he wasn't sure if any were rideable. Suzanne and I spent our first hour doing whirlwind bike repairs and made two functional bikes out of four.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well done those two sailors.

When I was a young student at college we had an experience somewhat similar. In the College laundry were a gaggle of broken washing machines. My friend in the next room to mine had been working on mending machines for a holiday job. We offered to the Student Union to get as many machines working as we could for a small remuneration. By cannibalizing eight machines he got four working for them in the laundry.
    The fifth one which we did not mention was spirited away to our GP room. We were the only corridor with our own private washing machine and spin dryer for two years. When we graduated and left college, a strange fifth machine suddenly re-appeared back in the laundry room.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.