Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
A very interesting shot by shot AAR Lt Bush.
I have found that in the unusual event of a Frigate vs 74 action the disparity in crew efficiency id of little consequence because the Frigate seldom lasts more than a couple of rounds. Remember that the crewmen do not really represent actual figures, but rather the deminishing ability to run the ship. If you want to look it as casualty depletion I suppose you could say that it is easier for a Frigate to hit a 74s larger crew than for them to hit a more spread out smaller crew in the first few rounds of fire, but that begs all sorts of question vis smaller balls and power to penetrate a heavier hull etc, so I would just take things as they are.

I also have personal issues about the way hand to hand strength is worked out, but that is a whole different musket ball game.

Generally we play with the rules we don't mind and alter the ones that we feel are disputable, such as the collision ones for enemy ships.

Rob.
Thank you for the Reputation, Admiral.

With regard to the "men per damage box representation":

The larger the difference of the ships crew, the more pronounced the issue becomes.

But indeed, usually, you will not attack a 1st rate ship of the line with a sloop & vice versa because both vessels will likely have more important matters to care for. And if the size of the crews are more even, so is the representation of damage counters.

So the issue might be of little practical relevance.

Yet, it is interesting to ponder it:
Let's say you have a 1st rate worth 200 points. Would 5 sloops worth 40 points stand any chance?

Assuming they try to outmaneuver the 1st rate and use one of their number to block LOS for the others to hide behind and emerge for cumulative suicidal close-in grape/musketry shots, trying to grapple/freeze the "big one" in place and even attempt boarding?

Likely the manouvering of the sloops would be too challenging to pull it off by themselves. But possibly one or two sloops might be sufficient to do the "freezing" while other larger vessels then take advantage of it.

I concede, that all this is far away from any historical tactics. I am just thinking what could be attempted within the scope of the rules.

Lt. Bush