Thread: History of the Norwegian flag [In Norwegian - NO]

Hybrid View

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Looks a very interesting book, unfortunately not being a speaker of the language rather curtails this a bit.
    I agree also a number of navies see to be neglected mainly due to a lack of information in English that most of us , not all, would like.
    I for one would like more info on the Spanish, Dutch and Scandinavian fleets but with limited funds these days would spend on books
    I could read, shame really as there must be plenty of info out there in national languages.
    Thanks for bringing this to light

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Looks a very interesting book, unfortunately not being a speaker of the language rather curtails this a bit.
    I agree also a number of navies see to be neglected mainly due to a lack of information in English that most of us , not all, would like.
    I for one would like more info on the Spanish, Dutch and Scandinavian fleets but with limited funds these days would spend on books
    I could read, shame really as there must be plenty of info out there in national languages.
    Thanks for bringing this to light
    I share your opinion. We are concretely missing a number of informations we couldn't imagine. Speaking of Scandinavian Navies, I confirm that there are some very interesting resources but in their vernacular languages. I am like you seeking accurate informations about the other nations like the Dutch / Batavian Republic but quickly stuck by the language barrier. There are for example excellent historical sources about Portugal & Spain but even harder to understand because of their formal XVIIIth century languages.
    Let's hope we will one day have the possibility to read all that !
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire