Airborne, - this is from a novice with a limited amount of playing experience but I've used the good Captain Duffs play sequence sheets a couple of times. I believe they cover all the play sequences in sufficient detail to almost play the game with them. What I did was to delete all the rules I wanted to exclude from my game and then printed out the rest that I did want to include on to 1 sheet of paper, the original for the advanced game ran to 2 sheets.

Most of the rules don't need looking up but as he says it's a simple matter to cross reference them to the page number in the rule book to cover the ones you're not sure on.

That's got to be better than retyping the book.

Diamondback - I believe there are apps that can take a jpeg and transfer any text on the picture into a word type document, I looked at doing this some time ago but didn't take it any further so can't be more helpful, but it might be worth a google on it.
In the past when I've taken a rules pdf I've been able to copy and paste into word to edit the rubbish out and incorporate my brilliant ideas in. I've not come across a locked pdf before so the picture route might be viable but its a lot of work.