Thread: A Test of my Revamped Solo Mechanism

Hybrid View

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Greetings all. I'm awaiting some new ship arrivals to add to my starter set so I can start playing some of the solo campaigns. As I'm waiting, want to start getting familiar with using AI rules in solo game. Do these work best for 1-on-1 engagements, or how could they beat be used for multiple ship actions? Are there certain scenarios that work well/don't work well for using AI? Thanks from a newb!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Jim.
    One on one is a good starting point whilst you get used to them.
    When handling larger actions, I rule that the ships all mirror the senior flag commands until the first shot is fired and then go onto the AI chart for each ship. You may als find it an advantage to do one move at a time instead of choosing two cards as this can lead to needless false moves by both protagonist squadrons and a vast waste of your gaming time. Basically you will need to exercise your I in the AI when things look too silly for words. I just take a reality check and move in a sensible fashion without giving an unfair advantage to either side if possible.
    You will undoubtedly come up against anomalies but one of us is sure to have worked out a suitable finesse for the situation, or if not it will undoubtedly lead to an interesting debate, so don't hesitate to bring up anything you come across.
    The most important thing is that you enjoy the voyage.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.