Thread: SoG Game Tracker App (windows)

Threaded View

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

1/25/18:(whispering update as not to wake the baby)

I added two constraints to the sails, one being that they require a minimum of 20 degrees angle of attack off the apparent wind to "fill" and produce work. The other is I added the backing force direction for sails working against the wind. The 20 degree constraint is interesting because now the "closest" close haul angle changes with apparent wind speed and the best travel upwind isn't the steepest and slowest, its a balance which makes "captaining" fun.

Setting up a tack here.. i know not what I am doing... (there are men jumping overboard, choosing death over laughing and the lashings of their captain)
    Name:  takenback.JPG
Views: 787
Size:  20.9 KB

Using 3 knots speed: With a light breeze this is the closest I could get before the sails lost their air (less than 20)
    Name:  slowwind.JPG
Views: 1017
Size:  50.4 KB

With more wind I could get closer to the eye (again at 3 kts)
    Name:  highwinds.JPG
Views: 773
Size:  50.8 KB

Here's two examples of beating into the wind, one at a slower speed and steeper into the wind and the other faster speed but not as steep, who is making better ground upwind? (i know the answer, but there is no leeway on the ships here or waves bashing the front)
    Name:  beating1.JPG
Views: 818
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  beating2.JPG
Views: 753
Size:  51.2 KB

Time to sign off, must get the crew to school
    Last edited by Aaron; 01-25-2018 at 05:30.