Thread: 1812 War

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Default 1812 War

From the existing Nexus models for the War of 1812 what ships can be used as American?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Alastair, you're basically looking at Constitution and a single Leda as proxy for captured ex-HMS Macedonian.

We on the Research Team have been trying, but the problem is most of the early USN, like the Continental Navy before it, was composed of one-off builds.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Thanks for that I have to pester Angilio!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I fully agree with your sentiment re Americans being short changed re ships Alistair.
    Nevertheless, Whilst I can not prevent you from contacting Andrea direct, I appeal to you not to pester him.

Although he devised the game, the actual decisions on which ships to produce rest with the Ares Design Team. For the official route to them from here please go through either Diamond Back or Dave Manley who are our official contacts, and as a pressure group we may be able to bring some pressure to bear.
    This way we are all singing from the same Hymn Book and have a better chance of swaying there thinking.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

No worries Rob I will not do as you ask. I will some time in the future PM David with my wish list (though I expect I will be repeating what others who have been in the game far longer than I). Also I cannot find Leda in the products list is it under a differrent name? Thanks Alastair

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Alastair, that's a brainfart on me--Leda was a British copy of the French Hebe, SGN105.

I'd appreciate it if, after giving me a week to punch a hole in my inbox, you'd CC me on your list as well--I'm trying to pencil out sculpt groups for several on-my-own-initiative set proposals like the origins of this next wave, and it might help steer my research. I can't make promises about anything showing up in light of Job One being "Fill Out Trafalgar", but I can promise that I will listen and see if I can find ways to work things in.

Bear in mind, though, that unless I have either a clear known engineering relationship between a sculpt and a "stretch" or direct visual comparison of the original plans and find them near-indistinguishable at game-scale my default position is "When In Doubt, Don't Do It"--speaking for myself, I'd rather see a miniature left un-made until it can be done at least tolerably close than try to stretch things beyond their limits in a Cash Grab.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 05-26-2017 at 00:02.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Alastair check this interesting reading material out. America's naval strength during the War of 1812 relied on privateers.

HISTORY-OF-AMERICAN-PRIVATEERS-AND-CAPTAIN-GEORGE-COGGESHALL

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks like another book for my reading list Paul.
    have you added it to the book reviews?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Likewise, thanks Paul.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Found your review Paul.
    The down side is it costs £19.95 0n my Amazon so will have to wait a few weeks before I buy it.
    Rob.