Hybrid View

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

In my latest Scenario for our campaign I allowed the guns at clifftop elevation to have a range at extreme length of 1.5 rulers but half the damage at this range for the increased inaccuracy. I did not allow for plunging fire, however, as i was trying to keep things simple and not over complicate the rules.
    For Copenhagen it would certainly be useful to know the distances and fire arcs. From my reading some of the battery fire seemed much more effective than others. It would be good to find out if this was due to size and number of guns, range, angle of delivery, or just the closeness and class of the ships engaging them. all these factors could help in determining the rules for guns efficiency in use during historical enactments of battles.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    Denmark

Log Entries
    Name
    Christian

Okay, nice to know exactly what I'm looking for. Think I have some ideas on where to get the information, but will have to see.

What about the Danish ships, what am I looking for here?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Cloen View Post
    Okay, nice to know exactly what I'm looking for. Think I have some ideas on where to get the information, but will have to see.

What about the Danish ships, what am I looking for here?
    Well, first I need to get off my arse and trawl ThreeDecks for their designers, dimensions and histories. Then I need to look for other Danish naval engagements of the time and similar ships in those... a better understanding of Scandinavian naval-architecture philosophy would help, and Chapman doesn't give me a lot of it despite having been one of the guys who was instrumental in it.

In short, the next move is for me to find some motivation, grind up and snort some NoDoz, finish moving from the spare back to my laptop (which after three months running on the backup system is a slow process) and get back to work doing what I do. LOL (The vision for these "Men & Machines" threads is to assess both sculpts/stats for the ships, and positive or negative Captain Abilities for the officers leading them.)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I don't have much on the Ships. Wiki even is silent about most of them.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    Denmark

Log Entries
    Name
    Christian

Hi DB,
    I'm not sure if you understood what I meant with my message. I would like to help find the information about the ships. Do "the floor work" if you know what I mean. Just don't know what to do with the information, that's what you're good at. I just needed to know what I should be looking for.
    for example, I have information about the SoL Prøvesteenen and drawings. Are the drawings of any use?:
    PS.: didn't know about threedecks.org, it has a lot of the information already translated into English. So that will help a lot.

Name:  Durchsnidt og Plan af underste Dæk.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  61.0 KB
    Name:  Ornamenter.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  75.0 KB
    Name:  Sejltegning.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  86.1 KB
    Name:  Sidetegning.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  44.5 KB

History:
    The ship of the line, Christian den syvende, was the last triple-decker in the Danish Navy, and it was used very little. In 1793 the upper deck was shut down and the ship was converted into a blockship, and as such, it became known in 1799 as the name Prøvesteenen. During the Battle of Copenhagen on April 2, 1801, it was a blockship at the southernmost position in the line. It was armed with 28 pcs. 36 P cannons on the bottom battery and 28 pcs. 24 P on top battery. It had a crew of approx. 525 men, and at the end of the fight, there were 40 killed and 35 injured crew members. Three times there was a fire in the ship, and at the time 15:15 it stroked the flag. The ship burned up.

Dimension-----------------Measurement------------Type----------------------Metric Equivalent
    Length of gundeck------------182' 0''-----------Danish Fod (Feet)--------57.1662 (176' 7'' Imperial)
    Bredth--------------------------49' 0''------------Danish Fod (Feet)-------15.3909 (47' 6'' Imperial)
    Depth in hold-------------------21' 0''-----------Danish Fod (Feet)---------6.5961 (20' 4'' Imperial)

Constructor: Frederik Michael Krabbe
    Last edited by Cloen; 10-22-2017 at 10:03.