Thread: AAR: October 2016 Solo mission: "A clean pair of heels”.

Hybrid View

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Could be.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I just did some more research on the action Neil.
    Captain Blackwood in the Penelope 36 kept the Guillaume Tell in play from dawn, shooting away the main and Mizzen topmasts, and the Main yard, until the Lion 64 Captain came up at 5am guided by to firing from Penelope's guns. At 6am Foudroyant Captain sir E Berry arrived and the action became general.( A good chance to exercise our new ships.)
    An interesting fact was that Lion initially poured in a broadside of three roundshot in each gun!
    When Berry came up he hailed Decres to strike, to which the Frenchman replied by waving his sword and discharging a treble shotted broadside which cut the Foudroyant's rigging to pieces. Sir Edward replied with a similar shot at half a pistol shot range but then shot ahead with her press of sail.

Three tripple shotted broadsides from different ships! Are we selling ourselves short?

On the next page this reference.

The 30 gun Sloop Dart was fired on by the foremost French Frigate. This salute the Dart returned with fifteen double shotted Carronades.

I know of another instance at Trafalgar where duuble shotted carronades are used.

Anyone like to comment?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.