Thread: While I'm waiting for wave 3

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alan

Default While I'm waiting for wave 3

This is what I've been up to.....

I'm not a fan of rubber bands so for all my ship cards I quickly drew up a plan and printed 2 per page on 210 gsm paper.

I cut the first one out with scissors but that took a while and I thought if I times that by the number I need it would take a while.

So I worked out how to sync the cutting from a printed a4 sheet with 2 layouts with my laser cutter.

A bit of folding and gluing and I now have a ships worth of cards packaged as this.

When they are stored in the plastic tubs I picked up locally it makes it easy to find the right cards for the right ship.

Speaking of the laser cutter I used it to line the bottom of the same storage tubs for the ships themselves.

and now I have my British Fleet ( Is it British or English? )

and my French Fleet neatly stored and accessable

Although if truth be told I think I did all this to put off rigging all my ships til later.

Hopefully the use of their images is ok for personal use and since I own all the genuine components it's not like I'm depriving them of an income.
    Plus it looks better than just a white box.

Also if its ok I could make them available for others on here to use in pdf format.

I am although thinking of doing the ships log inserts in a single piece engraved mdf instead of the 3 or 4 jigsaw pieces.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Or another idea, maybe reprint the assembled log/mat combo onto heavy paper and laminate? That way, you can just mark off damage with a grease pencil or crayon and return the chits to a bag or discard-pile simplifying organization and cleanup. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Great work, Diamondback! I would say 'British Fleet' is the more correct designation.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Don't credit me, all Rep to Alan for his artistry--I just suggested a shortcut for him on Logs. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Nice storage solution.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Like those box's, but as I sleeve my cards not sure they would fit, but like the idea a lot. Especially like the idea of the mdf log inserts

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ingenious Alan.
    Rep on the way.
    Like Chris I sleeve my cards as well, but a tweak % with the net should fix that O.K.
    My main interest though is containing those ship mats.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alan

The box dimensions have a 20mm wide side which I think should still fit the majority of sailing decks even after they are sleeved.
    My Sails sleeves are still being sent from interstate so I couldn't check 100% but I just tried and can fit 40 sleeved xwing upgrade cards into a box although tight.

With the ship logs/mats I'm thinking that doing double layer might be the way to go. That way I can pick the whole lot up at once to move about if needed.

I've found mdf is cheaper to buy than good cardboard and I should be able to a complete a single ship mat at the cost of a dollar.
    Of course that doesn't take into account design time and laser electricity cost but its not like I'm doing it commercially.
    900x600 mdf is about 4 bucks which I cut into quarters to make 4 A3 sheets. Acrylic is about 10 bucks an A3 size.

On these days where the temperature is late 30's early 40's deg C, paint dries too quickly and you really don't feel like doing much it's easy to fire up the pc and play around.

I still have 8 mats for my own games but not everyone will handle my stuff the way I do so if it only costs me a dollar to replace something someone damages I'm all for it.

Hopefully I'll have a prototype done in the next day or so.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Should be O.K.at that Alan.
    20x53x80 will easily take 40 cards in standard sleeves like mine. I dont know about the heavy duty sleeves but I would think it is not too far off.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Wonderful work Alan. Rep on its way. Some time back ChyronDave did something very similar for the maneuver decks. See post #187 here: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...hlight=tuckbox
    However, I don't think he posted a diagram or instructions like you have unless I'm missing them in the files section? Great work and thanks for sharing.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

IMSMC: It's "English" before the Act Of Union in 1707, and "British" afterward.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

That's a really good idea!

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alan

Thanks for the link to the other boxes. I must have missed that bit when I looked around. They are a lot more colourful than mine and they are meant to hold the log and cards.
    I'm still thinking of doing ones that are even more printer ink friendly.

Its a pity that they made the logs in 2 different ways making 2 sizes. I may still make separate boxes for them still even though my mdf ones will be single piece.
    I've cut my first sample and have a couple of small tweaks to do before I cut version 2 and take a picture to show around.

***Update***

My new ships arrived today so I have my Spanish and a couple of others I couldn't get locally - so it takes about 3 weeks to get here. Next order will be for the 50 and 64 gunners.

Ordered a second starter set today and hopefully that will arrive before next weekend. Luckily for me it's a 4 day weekend. Hopefully have everything done by then.

Thinking of laser cutting versions of the the coast and batteries sets I have to make them more prominent than the cardboard ones as well.

I also want to see if my 3d printer will be fine enough to print ratlines but that's a whole new learning curve for me to delve into.

Looks like my long weekend is taken care of.

Hopefully have some more pics for you all soon.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to hear that you are constructively employed Alan, and hope to see the results of your exertions before too long.

Have a great long weekend.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Congrats on the arrival of your fleet Alan. I know how excited I was to get my ships so I'm sure you're anxious to get them on the table.

As you have mentioned more 3D printing and paperwork projects I was going to share a link of one of the earliest members of the forum. When I first came on board he had done some amazing laser printing and modeling work. Unfortunately, all his images were corrupted when our size was hacked a couple years back. Bruce isn't active on the site any longer but I'll post the link regardless. His stuff was pretty neat. I just wish we could recover all those lost images.

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...ighlight=print
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb