Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
You could be right there Jim.
We do tend to add a lot of frills and bells and whistles in our discussions here on the Anchorage, much the same as they do on the Drome.
I sometimes wonder if we remember what it was about the game that first drew us to it. The simplicity and ease of play.
Is it inevitable that having grasped the basics of a game, we then go on to read about our new found love in depth. Then try to emulate the nuances of the period which we did not previously know about in more and more detail until we finally strangle the joy of the game in detailed rules?

We then move on to the next game and do the same to that.
Rob.
This is part of why one of my goals in developing a Campaign System was to strip the game down to just its core essentials... a slimmed-down Quick Play ruleset would be a helpful development for that project whether precursor or parallel.

I like the "flip coin idea"--maybe A range flip one, B range two. Too far for Campaign, but for a basic to get rookies started might be good. Remember, start with basics and add a little at a time? There's a REASON you don't pop a flying virgin's cherry by strapping them into an F-22, ya know... lol