Thread: Sails of Glory Wave 3 ships at the Ares Games homepage

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Mine is also on the way Paul so I may just about get it for Christmas after all, despite my doubts, if only British Customs get there finger out.
    Rob.

Same here in Bavaria.

Ships are on the way.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Hjl View Post
    I think I'm going to have to have a new ship to hunt down, the Santa Ana is even more dangerous than the ocean classes.

I wonder if it has any weaknesses, like a horrible movement deck, or something.
    Hopefully its main weakness, will be the fact that you have it sandwiched between two of your 74s Hugh.
    Rob.

It depends on you skill not be bow raked by the Spanish 1st rate before you get in position.

Good to hear the fleets are on the way!

I wonder, has there been more talk about 'Fleet movement rules'? Did I miss them coming out? I haven't seen any discussion regarding them.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Kangaroo View Post
    Good to hear the fleets are on the way!

I wonder, has there been more talk about 'Fleet movement rules'? Did I miss them coming out? I haven't seen any discussion regarding them.
    Nothing new on the "Fleet Movement Rules" as far as I've seen. Pure speculation on my part, but I think there's been a shift in development priorities at Ares so those may be on hold?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It would certainly make it easier to put on the more spectacular battles at shows if we had the Fleet rules.
    Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Not a dickybird has been heard on fleet rules by the playtest team.....

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Cheers Dave.
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Not a dickybird has been heard on fleet rules by the playtest team.....
    I think it's better to say "Crickets All Around" on everything... unless I've just been personally Blacklisted.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I think it's better to say "Crickets All Around" on everything... unless I've just been personally Blacklisted.
    Nobody would do that to you DB although the brotherhood my Black Spot you.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Nobody would do that to you DB although the brotherhood my Black Spot you.
    Rob.
    LOL, I mean all comms have been dead-silent from Ares of late... starting to wonder if my calling "OOPS" on the First Rates stepped on some toes.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I guessed that you meant that DB.
    It was just my quirky British sense of humour commingling out again.

If Ares are that touchy they must have some really raw spots. We are driving this game for them even more than we do Wings on the sister site because this is a much more tender plant. The amount of money that we have put into events, Banners etc for Sails, and convincing Organizers to put on Sails tables is a lot. Robert seems to be the only support we get, and if they close down any communications with us, I fear that we will sink. Maybe not without trace, because a lot of us will carry on regardless, but certainly far enough to convince the last few suppliers that it is not worth stocking Sails.
    I do therefore hope that you are wrong about this silence, and that it is just a temporary glitch in communications.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

It could just be, and I hope it is, just a simple matter of other things commanding their attention--but when you've been in a place where others potentially live or die and the sole deciding criteria is whether you are paranoid enough... well, it's the kind of thing that tends to stay with you for the rest of your life. :(
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Let's put it this way... I put the last Wings WWI release budget On Hold, and looking like ditto BoB, getting this wave of Sails funded and even with that it's touch-and-go.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am very sorry to hear that DB, but reading between the lines I'm not totally surprised. We are after all a niche game within a niche market, and more expensive to produce than Wings. All I can say is thanks for your effort on our behalf.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

On Hold does not mean intending to skip, though I will be prioritizing WWI over WWII--it just means that as long as you jokers don't clean out the stores before I recover from the costs of building an R&D lab for some of my buddies who wear blue and badges to test new gear, I'll pick them up as budget allows. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well that is a relief DB.
    After all the work you put in to getting the ships released. It would be a crying shame if you did not get any of them yourself. All mine are paid for as Christmas presents, so my free capital can go on BoB aircraft.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Perhaps the current Italian economic situation might have something to do with the silence? Ares is just keeping their cards 'close to their chest' I suspect.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You have a good point there Jim.
    The news headlines have been full of the Italian political situation today following the voting.
    They seem to be in as much trouble as we are financially. End of anything even slightly political here........
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

And with US-China issues on the other side of the coin... if I were Ares I'd be looking for a second-source in Poland, the Czech Republic or maybe (ugh) Vietnam.

Plenty of low-cost fine-detail modelmakers behind the former Iron Curtain... if I were them I'd want to have options in multiple geographic locations so that in the event of a US-China trade war or the Red Army rolling westward or UFO's taking a giant E.T. Dump and burying East Whereveristan under a gazillion tons of Space Turds business could still go on with minimal interruption.

Similar thinking to why I've been building them, and am thinking about asking Keith to mirror here, an integrated central data repository on the world's navies of the game period... that way, if somebody slips some clams into my linguine and gives me an incapacitating allergy attack or the stress from dealing with some of the Utter Bloody Morons I have to work with gives me a stroke or an aneurysm or something, the data and all my notes are all there just waiting for a successor or several to pick up where I leave off.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And with US-China issues on the other side of the coin... if I were Ares I'd be looking for a second-source in Poland, the Czech Republic or maybe (ugh) Vietnam.
    Again a yes to that DB if it did not entail major retooling which is where the cost lies. It all depends who holds the rights to the Masters, and how easy it would be to recover them from the manufacturers. Then there are any indemnifying clauses for changing manufacturers in the contract to consider.
    But, yes it would certainly be great to have that flexibility if possible.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

As 3D printing gets more sophisticated and the cost continues to drop there's no reason Ares couldn't diversify its production to other areas of the world. Actually, if the technology keeps advancing there's every possibility of print on demand at home or at a designated outlet storefront.
    –English Proverb

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

And with US-China issues on the other side of the coin...
    <sigh> another artificial "conflict". You'd have thought that two countries whose interests were so closely intertwined..... (silly me }

As 3D printing gets more sophisticated and the cost continues to drop there's no reason Ares couldn't diversify its production to other areas of the world.
    Probably true, but see earlier comments regarding Ares' likely financial situation. As and when this mode of operating takes off I'd anticipate Ares will not be early adopters.

3 D printing as it applies to sails has some way to go as a commercially viable product. The finishes I've seen so far are well below the standard I'd consider acceptable for a model. Give it a few years though....
    Last edited by David Manley; 12-07-2016 at 14:11.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

There is already quality enough but they are made for gold smiths and can only handle small objects like our ships. The problem is the prohibitive price. If you had a customer base you could probably make it work as they are not extremely expensive coming down towards Ł10,000. For a company that is... way above us private persons price ceiling for hobby projects. But as you said, David, give it a few years.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Again a yes to that DB if it did not entail major retooling which is where the cost lies. It all depends who holds the rights to the Masters, and how easy it would be to recover them from the manufacturers. Then there are any indemnifying clauses for changing manufacturers in the contract to consider.
    But, yes it would certainly be great to have that flexibility if possible.
    Rob.
    It seems to me that if Ares commissions the tooling then they own the IP... of course when you deal with China possession is nine points of the law and all IP bets are off.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

The Fleet has arrived Mates. A fine set of ships! Thank you for all the work you put into the details of these models DB. And a big thanks to you Keith for such speedy delivery. Viva Spain!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Paul, don't thank me, I didn't have a lot of influence on this beyond scuttling the Ship That Never Was, but the thought is appreciated. :)

To be quite honest, I barely know a beakhead from a bulkhead... lol
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It seems to me that if Ares commissions the tooling then they own the IP... of course when you deal with China possession is nine points of the law and all IP bets are off.
    That is exactly what I was thinking DB.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    The Fleet has arrived Mates. A fine set of ships! Thank you for all the work you put into the details of these models DB. And a big thanks to you Keith for such speedy delivery. Viva Spain!
    Although my main Spanish Fleet has yet to arrive, the Special offers arrived this morning to bolster my main fleet, and for this time of year, a 15 day crossing encourages me to think that the Spanish may be here for Christmas.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

If memory serves I think this is exactly why Catalyst Games Lab's, "Leviathans" died? Either the company they were using defaulted on agreements or they just up and took all the master molds and disappeared? I've tried to verify this on the CGL website but the Leviathans forums are pretty much dead.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Interesting. My order via Miniature Market still says the street date for this expansion hasn't been reached yet. Still 'Preorder' status for me?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Don't be too upset Jim.
    Even if mine arrives first, Mrs Bligh will confiscate it and place it under the Christmas Tree until the 25th.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

You poor man.

In Sweden we celebrate on Christmas eve, opening the presents on the 24:th.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

How civilized Jonas.
    Do you think negotiations would work in my case?
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

You could try. "To honour my Scandinavian friends I would like to open this present on the 24:th."

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Cheers Jonas.
    It's worth a try. I will let you know how I get on.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Interesting. My order via Miniature Market still says the street date for this expansion hasn't been reached yet. Still 'Preorder' status for me?
    "I ordered mine from a guy who knows a guy back in Italy, forget about it."He says with a thick New Jersey accent.

Although my main Spanish Fleet has yet to arrive,...
    Rob.
    Hope they'll make it through the Channel.

Don't be too upset Jim.
    Even if mine arrives first, Mrs Bligh will confiscate it and place it under the Christmas Tree until the 25th.
    Rob.
    I can post you some pictures of mine at December 24th.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Hope they'll make it through the Channel.
    They should manage that as they have a British escort of several ships, and prize crew aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    I can post you some pictures of mine at December 24th.

That is very considerate of you Commander, and something I will bear in mind the next time we meet in battle.
    Bligh.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

"I ordered mine from a guy who knows a guy back in Italy, forget about it."He says with a thick New Jersey accent.
    I know that guy. He also sells bridges in Brooklyn, right?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That right Jim.
    If I paid him do you think he could get London Bridge back for me?
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

That right Jim.
    If I paid him do you think he could get London Bridge back for me?
    Rob.
    You could certainly try, although it may have taken on a tourism taint you wouldn't like?

Name:  Resort_Arial_Photo_-_Use_at_the_Resort_optimized.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  192.2 KB
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well they certainly tried to make it look as if it has always been there Jim. Thanks for posting that up to date picture.
    Just to think I walked across that as a lad, right in the heart of old London town.
    Rob,

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    If memory serves I think this is exactly why Catalyst Games Lab's, "Leviathans" died? Either the company they were using defaulted on agreements or they just up and took all the master molds and disappeared? I've tried to verify this on the CGL website but the Leviathans forums are pretty much dead.
    _Leviathans_ had more problem than just the minis -- hint: Most of the folks I know long-ago adapted _Space:1889_ for the purpose; they don't need $150 of custom dice to play it.... (Nice try, CGL; but most gamers see through the "bespoke components" scam.)

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Michael

HEY! I'm from "Jersey" and I've neither seen nor heard ANYTHING about MY order!! I'm jealous of all you guys ... orders filled or, at least, on their way. This year, my bride's major present is supposed to be the Spanish fleet I'm hoping will be sailing about under our Christmas tree blockading our little village. She's been a good sport with only her squadron of two 74s and a frigate but has been anxiously awaiting reinforcements. Still crossing my fingers and praying for miracles ... .

Morning Michael, hope you Spanish "admiral" gets her ships in time.

Street date is the 12th.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today in fact.
    So let's see some movement from all the sellers.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

While it's still early on the 12th I've seen no indication that the ships are 'on the shelf' at Miniature Market. Cool Stuff, Inc. on the other hand does appear to have them in stock on their website.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Lo and behold, arriving today a box from The Anchorage Store. 9 days from Keith to door. A record for a large box.
    Here you can gain a glimpse of it, before it was confiscated by Mrs Bligh.

Name:  IMG_3764.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  159.8 KB

Rob.