Thread: Solo play app

Hybrid View

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Gregory

Okay... here's a question: I'm close to a point where I can code the damage dealt during the combat phase. I've modeled the code around the way the game actually works. I have objects which are containers for counters, which are randomly drawn based on the firepower of the ship/arc. So, I've got a few ways of doing this. I can draw against the collection, not removing the counters previously drawn. The probabilities of getting any certain counter drawn stays constant for all ships, throughout the entire game. I find this method the least appealing. It gives rise to the ability to get counter draws that simply aren't possible in the game... like a ship with a firepower of 7 causing a draw of 7 counters that have fire damage. Another method would be to remove the counters that are drawn for a ship only for that turn, and only for that ship. (EX: As damage is drawn, that counter is removed from the collection, and can't be drawn again for that particular round of damage. But the counters are replaced for each ship, so each ship begins it's drawing from a full set of counters.) Next, I can remove the counters drawn from the collection for the entire turn. (EX: Ship 1 draws a 3 damage counter with fire damage. That counter isn't available to be drawn by any other ships for that turn. At the end of the turn, the counters are returned to the collection, and are available to be drawn during the next combat phase.) Lastly, I can remove the counters from the collection as they are drawn, and they are not available for the rest of the game. Any thoughts on which method would be best?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by G-Two View Post
    Okay... here's a question: I'm close to a point where I can code the damage dealt during the combat phase. I've modeled the code around the way the game actually works. I have objects which are containers for counters, which are randomly drawn based on the firepower of the ship/arc. So, I've got a few ways of doing this. I can draw against the collection, not removing the counters previously drawn. The probabilities of getting any certain counter drawn stays constant for all ships, throughout the entire game. I find this method the least appealing. It gives rise to the ability to get counter draws that simply aren't possible in the game... like a ship with a firepower of 7 causing a draw of 7 counters that have fire damage. Another method would be to remove the counters that are drawn for a ship only for that turn, and only for that ship. (EX: As damage is drawn, that counter is removed from the collection, and can't be drawn again for that particular round of damage. But the counters are replaced for each ship, so each ship begins it's drawing from a full set of counters.) Next, I can remove the counters drawn from the collection for the entire turn. (EX: Ship 1 draws a 3 damage counter with fire damage. That counter isn't available to be drawn by any other ships for that turn. At the end of the turn, the counters are returned to the collection, and are available to be drawn during the next combat phase.) Lastly, I can remove the counters from the collection as they are drawn, and they are not available for the rest of the game. Any thoughts on which method would be best?
    Removing the counters from the game as they're drawn would seem to replicate how they stay on your ship mats until the end of the game. However, some folks actually use grease markers to fill up the boxes on the ship mats and return the counters for drawing purposes continually.

I wont claim to understand statistical probabilities, but I would be fine with any system for damage that remains constant for all ships involved.

This probably hasn't answered your question, but others who game more might give you what you need? Cheers.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb