Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default Feedback Needed

Hi Folks,

I am helping a group of game designers in Germany with English language issues, rules reviews, etc.

They were planning on naming their company Fatherland Games, but that has raised some concern. Please let me know if you think that name is problematic for a German company designing and producing WWII wargames. Their usage of Fatherland is the same as English-speaking folks using the term Homeland, but, unfortunately, terms take on additional connotations.

I trust both of our communities ('Drome and Anchorage), and I have been amazed at the level of civility when discussing things. I respect both communities regarding military knowledge and sensitivity toward others. This is why I am asking you for your opinion/impression of the name Fatherland Games. The designers are at a place where if a name-change needs to occur, they will do it now.

Thank you,
    Eric
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Matthias

Hi Eric,

as you can see I'm from germany.
    I would not use the term Fatherland in my company name. Because it's a term that is not longer used in germany for the country. And if, it is automatic connotated in the area of the third empire.
    So some people may dislike the company name and do not buy their products only because of that.

On the other side: marketing often works well with some kind of overstating or provocation...

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I, myself, would have no problem with the company name, though I would expect a lot of people might relate it with the Nazi period in the UK and USA?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Eric, I would be hesitant to use that name, but one's age may well be a factor in that? I recall vivid stories from relatives who were impacted by that conflict.

As an aside Fatherland was also the name of a very popular book in the 90s that premised the idea that Germany won WW2.

http://www.amazon.com/Fatherland-A-N.../dp/0812977211
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thank you for your thoughts, my fellow shipmates.

I just swapped emails with Wolfgang, and they will go in another direction.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Only just spotted this Eric.
    I feel the right decision was made. A sensitive area with many untutored folk, even after all these years.
    To we history addicts, it probably brings thoughts of Blucher urging his children on at Waterloo, or Bismark in on of his speeches, but when connected to a WW2 game it may well be misconstrued.
    Good luck to Wolfgang and his team in their venture.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by spiessbuerger View Post
    .. Because it's a term that is not longer used in germany for the country. ...
    I have to disagree a little bit...

Vaterland, Heimat, Germania,...

Here you can see a picture of the place where I'll start the celebration of my 40th birthday in June this year.

So I did 10 years ago.

I'll invite friends and will serve ice cold Rheingauer Riesling Sekt from a cool bag at the base of this statue.

From the terrace you have a wonderful view over my Heimat the Rheingau-Taunus-Kreis, the river Rhein (sometimes called "Vater Rhein"). It's one of the most beautiful regions of my Vaterland.

The statue is called Germania and was buildt after forming of the Deutsches Reich in 1871.

You can trace back those keywords right to the Napoleonic aera and since 1813 they are a firm ideas of German national identity.

I'm not afraid to use those keywords and to be proud of my roots, simultaneously many forumers know me in person and can confirm that I'm far away from being a nationalist and stand for a united European Union.

My opinion is, not to use such keywords for a German game company, and especially not for WWII wargames. The weight of those words is simply too heavy for such a project.
    Attached Images Attached Images