Thread: Spanish Nao. 1588. A new option of game.

Default Spanish Nao. 1588. A new option of game.

Why not play with the rules of the Sail of Glory but with other ships?. A very good idea is to use commercial vessels from Zvezda brand for example. They are 1/350 scale but work well on the SOG's bases. I think we could use the Nao and the Golden Hind. Golden Hind work as a heavy galleon and Nao as light galleon.

Name:  20151210_134657.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  177.1 KB

Name:  20151210_134709.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  177.1 KB

Name:  20151210_134719.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  172.1 KB

Name:  20151210_134728.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  170.7 KB

I also take the oportunity and put some pictures with expository base

Name:  Foto1.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  183.5 KB

Name:  Foto3.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  194.1 KB

Name:  Foto4.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  222.4 KB

Name:  Foto6.1.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  178.9 KB

Name:  Foto7.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  191.4 KB

Name:  Foto8.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  191.4 KB

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Julian, the ship is beautiful, but there's no way I'd put a museum piece like it on a gaming table with a base as small as the SoG one. Also, wouldn't you have to have special rules, cards and bases for an entirely different time period? Although there may be rules out there already that could be adapted for the SoG bases?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Certainly a great way to get into the earlier period Julián, but I don't know how the fire power would convert.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That is another beautiful model, Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Julian, the ship is beautiful, but there's no way I'd put a museum piece like it on a gaming table with a base as small as the SoG one. Also, wouldn't you have to have special rules, cards and bases for an entirely different time period? Although there may be rules out there already that could be adapted for the SoG bases?
    We should change the rules I guess, I'm not an expert in the game. But it would be a challenge!
    Clearly you aren't going to play with painted and completed rig (very expensive) ship. I put the photo so you can see the idea. And each could buy boats Zvezda and paint quality you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Certainly a great way to get into the earlier period Julián, but I don't know how the fire power would convert.
    Rob.
    That would be a subject of study. The ships of this period were not as accurate, it would have to make new rules but maintaining the spirit of SOG. The truth that Ares could put for sale complementaries kits to play other age of sails using similar rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    That is another beautiful model, Julian.
    Thank you David!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    We should change the rules I guess, I'm not an expert in the game. But it would be a challenge!
    Clearly you aren't going to play with painted and completed rig (very expensive) ship. I put the photo so you can see the idea. And each could buy boats Zvezda and paint quality you want.
    If Ares were to go this route the change is scale would likely be a factor? They've done it before with WW1 vs WW2 in Wings of Glory so it's not impossible. I'd like to see what could be done with ships of an even later period; like maybe the golden age of piracy (1650s to 1720s)?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    If Ares were to go this route the change is scale would likely be a factor? They've done it before with WW1 vs WW2 in Wings of Glory so it's not impossible. I'd like to see what could be done with ships of an even later period; like maybe the golden age of piracy (1650s to 1720s)?
    let's hope so!

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Absolutely beautiful, Julián.

That water looks real.

I cannot imagine putting such a lovely ship on the table.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Outstanding modification job Julian. Those gun loops and hatch covers look engineered, perfect! Very inspiring.

Thank you all your comments!