I ran this scenario at Historicon in Fredericksburg Va on 7/17/14. I modified the one in Ares historical scenario book, using Wiki and a scenario from "Fire As She Bears". Basically I abstracted the frigates and had 8 SOL in action for 8 players. I initially had 7 show up and then added another later, which worked out because the last British ship in line was delayed by 3+ turns. Additionally all of the British had Captain/Crew abilities and the French flagship had the poor gunners rule. I used all the Advanced rules. I'll upload the scenario to the files section. The scenario starts when the French admiral realizes that he can't escape and forms line of battle. The British squadron approaches from windward. Here is some background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cape_Ortegal

Unfortunately for the British a gap developed in their line, which was brilliantly exploited by the lead French captain (who has posted his SoG experience in a separate thread). In anticipation he double shotted both broadsides and then cut the British line firing both as he went by. This was not without risk as I was playing a house rule that DB shot range is the same as grape/chain. The lead British ship (Hero), which had taken some damage already struck, followed shortly afterwards by the second one after taking more hits from other French broadsides.

I was given prizes by Cotton Jim's Flags (http://cottonjim.mybigcommerce.com/) a vendor who sells SOG/WOG at the HMGS conventions - a sloop model for each player.

After the game I polled some of the players about the use of the ship mats and chits versus using a written log. Most liked the chit damage system, however the crew action chits were hard to keep track of, especially because of the small drawings. Also there was a comment about tracking damage, in that it would be easier to have a check box for each point of damage a ship took. So the results were mixed on the use of the ship mats vs. a log.

Here are the photos:
Name:  Strachan1.JPG
Views: 714
Size:  135.1 KB

The French on the left sail to cut the range to the British fleet bearing down from windward.
Name:  Strachan2.JPG
Views: 701
Size:  116.0 KB
The first shots (no initial broadside rule)

Name:  Strachan3.JPG
Views: 742
Size:  120.1 KB

More broadsides as the fleet converge. One of the French ships is caught in irons and gets raked. Things are looking good for the British for now.....
Name:  Strachan4.JPG
Views: 743
Size:  118.2 KB

The devastating double shotted broadside. The French ship had to time this perfectly because she is also taken aback at this point. I only had time to paint the spars and wash the sails on 2 of the British ships, of course the two that get plastered.
Name:  Strachan5.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  154.8 KB

More shots on the same turn.
Name:  Strachan6.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  155.4 KB

And now the collisions! The second British ship strikes before the Boarding action.
Name:  Strachan7.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  207.4 KB
Final fleet positions
Name:  Strachan9.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  133.5 KB
The prizes
Name:  StrachenCJ.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  147.6 KB

Eric