Thread: Naval Surgery of the 18th Century.

Hybrid View

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Hi Mark,
    Yes unsung heroes. I must say lots have been say about maggots in modern works. I for all of my hunting for stuff on surgery for the last 10-15 years on historical Surgery. I have not once seen any thing on maggots. I would not say they where not used, but not one medical person/book of the time talks of the use of maggot in wounds. I cannot use information that I cannot confirm in writings of the times. Hear-say is not a thing I can use.
    Be safe
    Rory
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggot_therapy

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Sorry David,
    It talks of in antiquity and Native Non-European medicine. The frist book named by Amboise Pare and book I own. The only place he talks of maggots is page 69. That is to re-move them.
    At no time have I seen him saying good things about maggots!
    I cannot say about A.C.W. As I said 16th & 17th century is my period. Again in the Napoleonic period I have not seen any written work on maggots use in my limited looking at the history of surgery in this period. Wikipedia does not name any books bar one Amboise Pare which I think is wrong. Sorry David, but I stand by post. Wikipedia is O.K. but not the best and not always right.
    Be safe
    Rory