Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh that is interesting! Ares update

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Many thanks to Ares for giving gunner et al. something else to complain about. I am grateful for everything Ares does. A wave 4, even if it went like all the other waves, is exciting. I'm hooked. Victory and Constitution were everything I wanted them to be and more. I love the Spanish ships. Ares has a customer for life. My plea to the powers that be at Ares, "Please sir, can I have some more?".

I might complain a bit but, I doubt if anyone on this site supports SGN by purchases, more than I do.

And buying their product to keep them in business is the bottom line.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    The Russians had their "big name" battles -- but since none of them took place outside the confines of the Baltic or very-eastern Mediterranean, they didn't get much notice by the outside world. This is what happens when all one's exits are controlled by Other People...
    Svensksund was the biggest naval battle in pure number since there were about 150 gun boats on each side plus the ships of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    I doubt if anyone on this site supports SGN by purchases, more than I do.
    Bragging about size again (of your collection, of course) Gunner?

Not a good day for the Russians, but a glorious one for the Swedes.

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Bragging about size again (of your collection, of course) Gunner?
    As the old saying goes, "if you got it, flaunt it" (my collection of course).

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

As the old saying goes, "if you got it, flaunt it" (my collection of course).
    As one should! I'm about the 60 mark, but sadly enough a little less than half has been painted and rigged.

Not a good day for the Russians, but a glorious one for the Swedes.
    We had a moment of glory in a war that didn't go well. It's the way Swedish military history goes since the middle of the 17th century.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    As one should! I'm about the 60 mark, but sadly enough a little less than half has been painted and rigged.
    Right now SGN ships stand at 179 +2 more coming in from the Ares U.S. warehouse next week. But three complete sets with KS ships (102) I'm setting aside for my grandchild and nieces kids when they are old enough to enjoy them. Only about 20 or so of the balance are painted and partially rigged.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Only about 20 or so of the balance are painted and partially rigged.
    Oh! Then I'm a little ahead in one little category...

I have painted the ones in the battle of San Domingo (12 SoL + 6 frigates), three British first rates, Orient, three more British 74:s, two more French 74:s, three more frigates and HMS Indefatigable. That makes 31!

Next project looks to be a surprise, or HMS Surprise, from shortening a Concorde.

But three complete sets with KS ships (102) I'm setting aside for my grandchild and nieces kids when they are old enough to enjoy them.
    And I would start giving them a start set and see how it survives before giving them the KS ships.

The KS ships is a little hard for me to decide what to do with. I have painted and rigged the British as I have doubles of these, but I keep one of each unmodified. I guess it's no big question yet as I have plenty to paint before those.

I'm still happily surprised that wave 3 may come this year. That means I can aim for doing the Battle of the Nile on next years LinCon (The convention I did San Domingo on this year) with a correct HMS Leander.
    Last edited by TexaS; 05-29-2015 at 02:09.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Right now SGN ships stand at 179 +2 more coming in from the Ares U.S. warehouse next week. But three complete sets with KS ships (102) I'm setting aside for my grandchild and nieces kids when they are old enough to enjoy them. Only about 20 or so of the balance are painted and partially rigged.
    Ha!, I'm envious! (Of your collection, of course!), Wow!, and here I sit with but a starter and 3 ship packs.(Course I was late in the game) As they say, "Slowly, but surely."

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

We had a moment of glory in a war that didn't go well. It's the way Swedish military history goes since the middle of the 17th century.
    As have we, my good man, as have we.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Oh! Then I'm a little ahead in one little category...

I have painted the ones in the battle of San Domingo (12 SoL + 6 frigates), three British first rates, Orient, three more British 74:s, two more French 74:s, three more frigates and HMS Indefatigable. That makes 31!

Next project looks to be a surprise, or HMS Surprise, from shortening a Concorde.
    31 custom painted and rigged ships is quite the test of a sure hand, and surer' patience, (Especially considering your beautiful work!) Practice makes perfect! Also, regarding HMS SURPRISE Jonas, are you going for the historical ship? (there are many), or the Movie accurate ship? (HMS ROSE).

And I would start giving them a start set and see how it survives before giving them the KS ships.

The KS ships is a little hard for me to decide what to do with. I have painted and rigged the British as I have doubles of these, but I keep one of each unmodified. I guess it's no big question yet as I have plenty to paint before those.

I'm still happily surprised that wave 3 may come this year. That means I can aim for doing the Battle of the Nile on next years LinCon (The convention I did San Domingo on this year) with a correct HMS Leander.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kaiser View Post
    31 custom painted and rigged ships is quite the test of a sure hand, and surer' patience, (Especially considering your beautiful work!) Practice makes perfect! Also, regarding HMS SURPRISE Jonas, are you going for the historical ship? (there are many), or the Movie accurate ship? (HMS ROSE).
    Thank you very much for your kind words!

I'm aiming for a mix of the historical HMS Surprise of 1796 and HMS Rose as my true aim is to make a frigate that's a little smaller than the 32:s to plug the hole to the sloops, but I don't know how much it will show as the sails will still be quite big. I'll probably see if I can cut down a little on them too. I've already removed the main and mizzen masts and filed the shape of the stern to be a better match, but right now I have to dismantle my work desk to allow handymen changing windows, so it's been put on hold.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Thank you very much for your kind words!

I'm aiming for a mix of the historical HMS Surprise of 1796 and HMS Rose as my true aim is to make a frigate that's a little smaller than the 32:s to plug the hole to the sloops, but I don't know how much it will show as the sails will still be quite big. I'll probably see if I can cut down a little on them too. I've already removed the main and mizzen masts and filed the shape of the stern to be a better match, but right now I have to dismantle my work desk to allow handymen changing windows, so it's been put on hold.
    You're a master crafter, can't wait to see the outcome! Custom 28 gun ship log and ship mat as well? O'Brian would be proud. Still working on mine when I can, with summer almost here and kids almost out of school, things have been crazy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'll make something in the way of ship's card and ship's log too. I'm guessing the amazon card would be ok to use with a new name. I'd say the same maneuver deck, burden and veer would be ok. Then it's only a question of boxes and firepower and that I'll let lie till I've got the finished ship.

A little taste...
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  80.2 KB
    Last edited by TexaS; 05-28-2015 at 10:16.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Updated the post with a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    Yes I do wonder what they have in mind there. Some movement rule so that trailing ships can follow the squadron leader seems like a no-brainer. Presumably using the least maneuverable deck in the line.

One big obstacle to fleet play is simply the space and time needed to set out and maintain all those ship mats. I wonder what they will do about that...
    Well that's why I'd be using your handy dandy spread sheet with paper and pencil logs of course!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Looking good already Jonas.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    For those of you who have Ares' ear, please encourage them to be more forthcoming with news. Given the prior problems with completing the KS fulfillment, the broken masts, etc., some publicity will do the line good.

How open is Ares to receiving and disseminating fan-developed materials? I know Ares is a small company, but fans might be able to increase the company's communications and non-ship offerings, e.g. scenarios, etc. - basically, fans could serve as unpaid freelance writers.
    An idea worth suggesting, to be sure. Not sure how *I* feel about it as someone seeking to be a *paid* freelancer for 'em, but a question worth raising...

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

To be clear, I assume Other People = England.
    Britain, yes -- but the Baltic is also blocked by any of the Scandinavian countries with a navy (Sweden most notably; and then there's Denmark), while the Black Sea is most-obviously controlled by the Ottoman Empire (even if they have no ships) and the Italian states, and the Far East is too far to bother with. Oh, and Suez will not exist for another century, so there's no way to get out via the Red Sea. In short: Russia is only ever permitted to be a Land Power; to be a Sea Power requires playing "mother may I" with folks farther west. So it doesn't matter how many ships they had -- they're not a major player in the naval wars of the period.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

He who dies with the most ships wins! Gunner is winning. My paltry 17 ships and no kickstarter ships makes my pile of plastic pretty puny by comparison. I only buy one ship of each class, unless a screaming deal comes along. I'm always on the lookout, but I will be dead and buried long before I will be able to challenge Gunner for the title of ship hoarder.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Britain, yes -- but the Baltic is also blocked by any of the Scandinavian countries with a navy (Sweden most notably; and then there's Denmark), while the Black Sea is most-obviously controlled by the Ottoman Empire (even if they have no ships) and the Italian states, and the Far East is too far to bother with. Oh, and Suez will not exist for another century, so there's no way to get out via the Red Sea. In short: Russia is only ever permitted to be a Land Power; to be a Sea Power requires playing "mother may I" with folks farther west. So it doesn't matter how many ships they had -- they're not a major player in the naval wars of the period.
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Kentop View Post
    He who dies with the most ships wins! Gunner is winning. My paltry 17 ships and no kickstarter ships makes my pile of plastic pretty puny by comparison. I only buy one ship of each class, unless a screaming deal comes along. I'm always on the lookout, but I will be dead and buried long before I will be able to challenge Gunner for the title of ship hoarder.
    I doubt it. Not if you worry about pennies.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

The demand of every Admiral worth his Salt!!

"I need MORE ships!!!!!"

"War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Indeed, even though I doubt I will pass a hundred.

I want a few more third rates, (can't have too many of these) primarily 64 and if ever 80 gun ships, merchants, a few 50:s, pirates! and some of the new Spanish ships of all classes. I doubt that will make 40.

It's still a lot of ships when you try to store them.

I can see I'm going to buy a ton of ships from the next wave. Need a whole Spanish battleline, so easy to justify 9 of so there. Then I'm thinking of all the South Asia and Caribbean scenarios where 50-64 gun ships predominated, and thinking 12 of those will be a starting point...

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

My tuppence worth is a general release of Santissima Trinidad, 74's like HMS Bellerophon and possibly another US ship. I can't imagine Ares taking a financial risk on what they may see as 'Limited general appeal' vessels.
    However, I know nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Herkybird View Post
    I know nothing!
    Any relation to Sgt. Schultz?

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Any relation to Sgt. Schultz?
    Nein mein Kamerad! (though perhaps a little in temperament!)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I'm actually afraid to count how many I have. I know I own four starter sets. That's bad enough don't you think?

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I am lucky, I only got 1 starter set, plus a pack of counters and ships logs, then got another 13 models. I think that is quite sufficient for my needs.... though I may get a few more 60's and 74,s, just to balance the fleet sizes, you understand!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

It's hard to justify spending money on ships I will never use, or use only once or twice. I have a few classes that I don't have any examples for that I will eventually get, but I think trying to collect the Kickstarter repaints are a total waste of money. Why anyone would pay a hundred bucks for the HMS Juno when it is identical to the HMS Terpsichore is beyond me. They are both Amazon class ships with exactly the same stats. One costs 12 bucks the other is ten times that amount. As a matter of fact, the only kickstarter ship worth buying is the HMS Bellerophon, which is the only example of an Arrogant class ship in SOG. Even then It's stats exactly match the Elizabeth class Le Berwick. All the other kickstarter ships have "twins" in Wave 1. As I play the game, I find myself using the third rate and first rate ships the most. I recently set up a 6 ship battle where a british first rate followed by two third rates crash the line between the equivalent french ships to see if the first ship took all the damage allowing the less damaged ships behind to close in for the kill. This actually worked pretty well. The french expended their broadsides on the first rater, which sustained heavy damage, but the two third raters quickly crossed the tees of the french ships because they had two turns to do so. I alternated that game with one where the british turned in flank towards the french, and it was a much dicier situation. In a fleet action, with 70 ships on the table, that little slice of the action is all you are going to personally handle anyway, so there is no need to have 70 ships available. In actual gameplay, if you sailed one Temeraire class ship, you've sailed them all. I have no problem using HMS Terpsichore to represent HMS Juno. Ship names are only an accounting requirement for historical purposes. All you need to do is substitute the name in the AAR. My frugality in this regard is exactly what allowed me to retire at 50. I'm turning 61 in June, and have enjoyed every minute of my retirement. I have also never had an SOG game and thought, "damn, I need to buy more ships".

It boils down to whatever makes one happy. I also have been retired for a number of years but will never worry about spending money on things I enjoy. I spend much more money on ammo then I spend on ships. And when shooting I watch my money literally go up in smoke.
    So if you're happy painting your Terpsichore, good for you.
    I guess I will never understand people who complain about how other people spend their money.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

It boils down to whatever makes one happy. I also have been retired for a number of years but will never worry about spending money on things I enjoy. I spend much more money on ammo then I spend on ships. And when shooting I watch my money literally go up in smoke.
    So if you're happy painting your Terpsichore, good for you.
    I guess I will never understand people who complain about how other people spend their money.
    Who is complaining? Back during the .223 shortage of '09, I was literally shooting dollar bills out of my AR-15 every time I pulled the trigger. I'm glad money is no object for you, though. You owe me a beer next January at the shootout in Tombstone. I'll try not to be sick like I was last year. My money goes into not only guns, but telescopes:

Name:  IMG_0646.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  203.4 KB

The one in front is mine. I have other scopes, too. You would have to be crazy NOT to own a scope in Tucson.

And Motorcycles. This is for sale BTW:

Name:  Tiger 01.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  429.2 KB

And musical instruments:

Name:  gretsch 1.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  149.2 KB

My pride and joy, a 1957 Gretsch Rambler, autographed personally to me by Fred Gretsch III himself (current owner of Gretsch). It's the ultimate rockabilly guitar.

So, I have squandered lots of money on my passions. But HMS Juno? I think not.

You owe me a beer next January at the shootout in Tombstone. I'll try not to be sick like I was last year. My money goes into not only guns, but telescopes:
    If she ever spots you and your telescope, you're in big trouble.

I'm glad I reload. My Colt 15 SPI has a big appetite.

I'll be happy to stand for a few in Tombstone next January, see you then.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Name:  ar 1.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  54.7 KB
    If she ever spots you and your telescope, you're in big trouble.

I'm glad I reload. My Colt 15 SPI has a big appetite.

I'll be happy to stand for a few in Tombstone next January, see you then.

Here's my paltry imitation of your rifle. It has an EA pre-ban lower, colt upper. Still shoots better than the colts I used back in the day.

These are very old pics. I have since corrected the delta ring for the original and had the lower matched to the colt upper. Also added the correct dust cover over the ejector.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kentop; 05-29-2015 at 16:49. Reason: old picture

Name:  DSC05746.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  173.5 KB

Papa Colt on top .223
    Mama Colt on bottom .22

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Back in the day, I never shot a carbine. The upper gun has an old school grip, but an extendable stock, the bottom one has an A2 grip. Both have non-issue stocks and mags but both have old school handles. The top one has a nylon strap with the carrying handle built into the upper receiver. the bottom one has a chrome bolt and an "I don't know what" handle. It also has an "i don't know what" barrel. Is Mama Colt meant to compete with the Ruger 10/22?

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I'm actually afraid to count how many I have. I know I own four starter sets. That's bad enough don't you think?
    I did a count the other night while consolidating ships in their cases, and currently I have 30 British, 28 French, 10 ships needing repaint for the American fleet plus 3 Constitutions, and 8 Spanish ships! That's not counting all the extra ships I've bought to repaint for other ships as I lost count on them!!

But, I don't have a problem! Honest!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

The top (Papa) is Identical to Viet Nam government issue with the three way selector switch.

The bottom (Mama), I doubt was meant to compete with the 10/22, but more of a novelty for people like myself with a 223 to shoot cheaper ammo.

I also have a Colt 1911 .45 (Papa) and a Colt 1911 .22 conversion unit (Mama) on a Vega SS frame.

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    I did a count the other night while consolidating ships in their cases, and currently I have 30 British, 28 French, 10 ships needing repaint for the American fleet plus 3 Constitutions, and 8 Spanish ships! That's not counting all the extra ships I've bought to repaint for other ships as I lost count on them!!

But, I don't have a problem! Honest!!
    You guys are almost, I said almost making me feel normal.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

How may times do John Paul and Ed break out those dozens of ships for a game? It's just an OCD chase. Gunner also thinks "Colt" is a prestige brand, like "Harley Davidson". American marketing is an awful thing. Brand loyalty only confirms the zombie-like dedication.

How may times do John Paul and Ed break out those dozens of ships for a game? It's just an OCD chase. Gunner also thinks "Colt" is a prestige brand, like "Harley Davidson". American marketing is an awful thing. Brand loyalty only confirms the zombie-like dedication.
    Wrong as usual old boy. Once again making assumptions without facts or knowledge. I'm a Ruger fan. Have five 45 & two 38 SA's plus one 44mag DA.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Sorry I'm late to the party, but since you gentlemen are speaking my language I thought I'd add my two cents,

My FORT BRAGG Specials....Name:  20150530_005312.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  125.3 KB
    My Steyr SSG PIIK .308 Sniper...Name:  20150530_005922.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  116.2 KB
    and yes, my baby, custom 45 LC Ivory handled Colt, with a knife my Special Forces Instructor friend gave me.
    Name:  20150530_010402.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  109.7 KB

Yes, I believe a Colt is like a fine tuned Rolex. I like that A1 up there, In basic, I was the only guy issued one straight from Nam, the rest of the guys had the A2 3 rounders, it was fun on exercises, because when I opened up, the rest of the guys were like "Holy S**t, what does he got! Take care, guys. -Mark

Nice goodies Mark. Is that a second generation Colt?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Nice goodies Mark. Is that a second generation Colt?
    I think she's a third, papers from factory got her born in 1985?, Black Powder frame model, with holding screw, for removal of cylinder pin. By the way, what's the .22 LR ammo situation like down there? Up here boxes of 50 were goin' for $50! A while ago. Not sure now.

You guys are almost, I said almost making me feel normal.
    It looks like I have 69 ships. I only BOUGHT 54, ended up w/ the other 15 rather unexpectedly (although, truth be told, I'm sure I WOULD have bought some of them otherwise...)

Still, almost all have seen action. Of the 23 ships that I loaned Dave for the big battle, I think 19-20 had been played before. I have a Victory and Constitution that still haven't made it to the the table, one of the Spanish frigates. the two frigates in my second starter, and a few first-rates. I've probably played more than 50 different ships.

Of course I could have gotten by with less if I needed to, but this is where I've been putting my fun money the last couple of years

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kaiser View Post
    I think she's a third, papers from factory got her born in 1985?, Black Powder frame model, with holding screw, for removal of cylinder pin. By the way, what's the .22 LR ammo situation like down there? Up here boxes of 50 were goin' for $50! A while ago. Not sure now.
    Hi Mark, check out the Bass Pro Shop in Auburn Hills, Michigan. A box of 50 Federal Champion .22LR solid will run you a whole $2.49, or a 525 round box of .22LR hollow point for $23.99.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Hi Mark, check out the Bass Pro Shop in Auburn Hills, Michigan. A box of 50 Federal Champion .22LR solid will run you a whole $2.49, or a 525 round box of .22LR hollow point for $23.99.
    Roger that. Glad to here the dry spell is no longer dry. I do know though the ammo gets sucked up before the stockboy can even shelf it! Think Cabbage Patch Doll craze back in the 80's. I also heard from an inside source that the Government closed up many of the lead mines and our "Commander in Chief" ordered millions of .22 rounds to be scuttled to the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico, thus leading to the hoopla.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Also since it's about a 2 and a half hour drive south, my back couldn't take it, with the jammed expressway (Michigans state bird is the mosquito, and it's state animal is the road cone.) Never had ordinance home delivered, no biggy, my .223 provides all my family needs.