Default A tour around HMS Victory.

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

BEST SHIP..... EVER!!!
    Cheers rob

Its hard to imagine the sheer sound of that broadside. Even harder to imagine 30 to 40 ships firing likewise at once.
    Last edited by Popsical; 04-23-2015 at 12:43.

Nice overview video, Rob.

I enjoyed the 10 minutes.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Nice overview video, Rob.

I enjoyed the 10 minutes.
    Just sorry about the boring narrators voice Sven.
    Bligh

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

It was...a marvelous video...befitting a...BBC broadcast...concerning the days...when Admiral Nelson...sailed onto victory...

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Nice video , thank you very much. It's amazing how sailors lived back then. what's the saying "Iron men and wooden ships". cheers

Midshipman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Darell

Thanks Rob ,enjoyed that very much

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

On my only visit to Portsmouth we didn't get an opportunity to take a tour of the Victory as it happened to be the day Her Majesty came to take her annual harbor tour on her yacht. As she was scheduled to have lunch with the First Sea Lord and company on the Victory the ship was closed to visitors for security reasons. To make things worse the next day my ship had to get underway as a crisis was breaking out in the Balkans, so our visit was cut short. always hoped we would get back, but that just never happened!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Gina

Quote Originally Posted by Kentop View Post
    It was...a marvelous video...befitting a...BBC broadcast...concerning the days...when Admiral Nelson...sailed onto victory...
    The BBC might be struggling of late, but one thing they still do better than anyone in the Anglophone world is history.
    Just recently they ran a program called "Nelson in His Own Words," which was essentially a staged reading of Nelson's private letters during his career, read by a costumed actor and threaded together by some narration and clips. It could have been lame, even silly -- but because the actor showed real commitment and the BBC took their subject seriously, it worked.

If history ever gets onto US television at all, it usually gets dumbed down and infected by commercial/marketing considerations. Things turn out to be superficial and talk down to the audience, as if the producers assumed that "history is inherently boring, we have to artificially juice it up." BBC productions seem to start with a belief that history is inherently exciting, and then they find dedicated talent who manage to communicate their passion and knowledge to the audience. Some great personalities are Dr. Sam Willis, the naval historian who appears often on BBC TV and radio. Another one is a weatherbeaten Scotsman named David Hayman. He just did a two-part BBC show called "Scotland's War at Sea," about Jutland and the U-Boat war in WWI. With his squinty eyes and a watchcap, and his storyteller's voice and that Scottish brogue, he had me hooked from the first minute.

(BTW, if you're wondering how I managed to watch all this from California...There's a workaround that will let you watch streaming BBC through their iplayer app. You just need an ipad, a low-cost subscription to a VPN server app like Tunnelbear, and use any UK address to set up a UK iTunes and app store account.)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Glad you all enjoyed it.
    I just happened across it whilst doing some research on the Victory.
    Bligh.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

"And now, a special BBC Presentation: _The Life of Admiral Nelson_, starring Richard Hammond, as Nelson, Jeremy Clarkson as Hardy, and James May as Scott...."

"I can't play Nelson -- I've two eyes, and two arms!"

"Well, we can soon fix that...."

[FX: Chainsaw firing up]

[FILM: Hammond sprinting through the streets screaming, pursued by a chainsaw-wielding Clarkson...]

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    "And now, a special BBC Presentation: _The Life of Admiral Nelson_, starring Richard Hammond, as Nelson, Jeremy Clarkson as Hardy, and James May as Scott...."

"I can't play Nelson -- I've two eyes, and two arms!"

"Well, we can soon fix that...."

[FX: Chainsaw firing up]

[FILM: Hammond sprinting through the streets screaming, pursued by a chainsaw-wielding Clarkson...]
    Change that to: BBC executive sprinting through the streets screaming, pursued by a chainsaw-wielding Clarkson...
    I generally love the Beeb but i will miss Clarkson on Top gear, it wont be the same without him.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I'm able to stream BBC on my Roku player, and have found a number of interesting documentaries there! Of course I also have several already on DVD along with a non-regional player to watch them all on!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That was a good 'find', Rob! It was interesting to watch the broadside being fired.