A few caveats and observations about these 3D printed ships:
1. Now that I've seen the finished pieces from Shapeways, I see that the tiniest deck details (hatch covers) don't always print at this scale or barely do. But other details (the cannons) all print. This also means that the sockets I designed for masts don't print except perhaps as little circles on the decks. That's fine as a guide to where the masts go, but it does mean some care needs to be taken to place them accurately and hold them in position when glueing. Super glue worked best for me.
2. The Niagara's waterline is realistic and to scale, but on the model that makes it pretty narrow for, say, anyone who might want to paint a white stripe and gunports.
Fortunately, there is a school of historians who believe the Niagara and Lawrence may likely have fought the Battle of Lake Erie with all-black hulls. These ships were built just to fight the one battle, paint supplies were limited, and they were rushed into action in 1813 with no extra time for detailing.
3. The material is sturdy and the assembled models look gorgeous -- I will post real pics of the Niagara model once I finish my assembly and painting of it. Even just a basic hull and deck painting and a tan wash on the sails is enough to make these models look fine in SGN with Ares ships. I don't bother with rigging, but I am going to rig the US ensign on the spanker using the black paintbrush-bristle technique for an added look of authenticity.
4. Bottom line: This has been a proof-of-concept, to see if 3D printing can work for good Age of Sail minis at this scale. I think it has been success from that technical standpoint. The prices will never be on a par with Ares, but at least these models offer something new and different, and we don't have to wait months or years to see them become available.