Thread: Shapeways SOG Ships

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Well, there's that.... >;)

But, as the Gardiner quote (which I was aware of, but thanks anyway) states: A British brig-sloop looses one sail, and is effectively immobilized; a US sloop loses three, and can still maneuver. Something to do with sail area, perhaps? Or how the rigging was run?
    More about how the rig is set up on a brig vs. ship, but sail area factors in as well. In the example the brig lost her gaff - effectively taking out her driver/spanker a sail that can be used for maneuvering and also having a large % of the sail area on the main mast of a brig.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Gina

You're ahead of me, Ken -- I had my Niagara almost assembled and painted but had to pause and wait for Shapeways to ship me a new foremast (they lost the one I ordered during processing).

FYI, the hulls on the latest model -- Royal George class sloop corvettes -- have a higher waterline that should allow for the authentic painted stripe. And if you like the Niagara masts, you should really love my new and improved masts on the Royal George, which have the sails and mast joined as a single part.

Re: Holes on the deck for masts -- I actually do design them in the model, but it turns out that the holes are too small a detail to print. If I look closely I can sometimes see a little circle where the hole would be, and that can serve as a guide on placement. I didn't drill any holes for my masts -- just super glued them on, and they sit solid as can be. And yes, a sternwards rake of about 5 degrees looks right -- that's what I did, too.
    Last edited by Broadsword56; 12-23-2014 at 08:51.