Thread: HMS Victory & USS Constitution

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Scott

Default HMS Victory & USS Constitution

Ahoy mates,

I have been trying to figure out how to get my hands on Victory and Constitution, when they are actually available that is. It looks like they are extras that were available from the kickstarter but I'm not sure. Is there some way for me to order them? These are two ships that I would most definitely like to have.

Both ships will be sold in stores and on-line. They are not Kickstarter exclusives.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Danath View Post
    Ahoy mates,

I have been trying to figure out how to get my hands on Victory and Constitution, when they are actually available that is. It looks like they are extras that were available from the kickstarter but I'm not sure. Is there some way for me to order them? These are two ships that I would most definitely like to have.
    As Bobby said anyone should be able to pick these up at your FLGS or via your favorite online vendor. I've been keeping an eye on the online vendors to see when they might put these up for pre-ordering. Nothing has shown up yet. Based on the latest Ares report I don't think we'll see that until the very end of the year?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

If you allow for the Christmas holidays, I would think that January or February 2015 are more likely.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Ares is now saying January 2015. There's a new Kickstarter update and many of us will be receiving 'ordering' instructions to facilitate the credit and mailing of these two highly anticipated ships. My confirmation 'order' via the Ares Pledge Manager is now updated.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I confirmed my order just now. Added another Constitution to do President

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

The e-mail sends me to the KS EU page, where I don't have a login. I try to order; it tells me I can't order until I login. I try to login with my KS.com data; it tells me my password is incorrect. I have sent half-a-dozen requests in the past two hours to get a new login; I get *one* response.

Tell me -- is there *any* aspect of this Kickstarter which *isn't* going to turn into a total Mongolian Clusterf***?
    Last edited by csadn; 12-02-2014 at 16:14.

Assuming these aren't mockup base cards, we have some more intel also:

First off, they show maneuver decks I and L. This suggests to me that each side of the ship may have it's own maneuver deck (?!?!) - I/J for Victory and K/L for Constitution.

Second, Constitution is Veer 5 (just a touch surprised) and Burden 5 (!)

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I confirmed my order just now. Added another Constitution to do President
    That's exactly what I did, and for the same reason.

What are the odds Ares is going to wish they printed twice as many Constitutions as Victory's? (Or maybe they were smart and did...)

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Ares have sent out Kickstarter update #75 about submitting orders for H.M.S. Victory and U.S.S. Constitution.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...p-combat/posts

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    The e-mail sends me to the KS EU page, where I don't have a login. I try to order; it tells me I can't order until I login. I try to login with my KS.com data; it tells me my password is incorrect. I have sent half-a-dozen requests in the past two hours to get a new login; I get *one* response.

Tell me -- is there *any* aspect of this Kickstarter which *isn't* going to turn into a total Mongolian Clusterf***?
    I asked to reset my password, did so, and had no problems getting in. This password is different, I believe, from the regular KS password as it is Ares specific, at least that is how I interpreted it. Once in, I had to submit my personal info.

Ordered 2 Constitutions and 1 Victory.

Here's hoping there isn't any mast problems.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

I have heard rumours that HMS victory comes with captain/admiral cards or something similar like a nelson card, is this true?

Per Ares on Kickstarter # 71,
    "These packs will be special, as promised - each pack will include two different versions of the ship log, with different armaments. On top of that, each ship is complemented by a specific deck of Captain cards and Crew Cards, featuring some of the most famous personalities who commanded them."
    Including Nelson.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Per Ares on Kickstarter # 71,
    "These packs will be special, as promised - each pack will include two different versions of the ship log, with different armaments. On top of that, each ship is complemented by a specific deck of Captain cards and Crew Cards, featuring some of the most famous personalities who commanded them."
    Including Nelson.
    Cool can't wait :)

There is also that verbiage about "Special deck of maneuver cards". Not sure what that means, but it is different than the other product pages, which just say "Maneuver cards".

At a minimum they do have their own custom sailing decks--for Constitution this is expected, but for Victory I was a bit surprised it didn't use the regular First-Rate deck. But the odd thing, as I noted before, is that in the photos they seem to be labeled with decks I and L, which hints at the existence of decks J and K in-between, which would mean each side has its own distinct sailing deck.

Of course there's only so much they could do differently, but I'll be curious to see how that shakes out...

Getting close.
    When I asked about Wave 1 reprints and the V&C, this was the reply from Ares this morning,

Hi Ed
    no, they have not shipped yet. We should receive the container in the warehouse in a few more days.

About SOG Wave 1 send a mail to customercare@aresgames.eu
    Best regards

Ares Staff

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Getting close.
    When I asked about Wave 1 reprints and the V&C, this was the reply from Ares this morning,

Hi Ed
    no, they have not shipped yet. We should receive the container in the warehouse in a few more days.

About SOG Wave 1 send a mail to customercare@aresgames.eu
    Best regards

Ares Staff
    Thanks Ed. That's exciting news, but they're even farther behind than I imagined. Back in November Ares responded to you with an indication that the Wave 1 reprints would be in stores by the end of December and the the V & C would ship by the end of December. I'm not complaining or whining, just observing that perhaps the dock workers slow down on the west coast significantly impacted their hoped for delivery times?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well as Mrs Bligh is buying mine for my Birthday in March, there is a strong chance that I may get them on time then.
    Bligh.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Ares Games' latest Upcoming Products list states that the reprints of series 1, H.M.S. Victory and U.S.S. Constitution will be available in February.
    http://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

So, you may receive them for your birthday, Bligh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the update Dave.
    With my birthday late in March, there is a good chance then.
    Rob.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

It's a shame V&C aren't being released in April. It would have made for a nice 2-year anniversary present for the completion of the KS.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    It's a shame V&C aren't being released in April. It would have made for a nice 2-year anniversary present for the completion of the KS.
    They're not at the warehouse yet (as far as we know), which means anything is possible.

More to your point though; never add on exclusives or perks to a Kickstarter project that aren't in hand. It's just courting frustration. I do hope Ares and other KS entrepreneur's will profit by this learning experience in future?

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Speaking of KS, have you seen the craziness regarding Exploding Kittens? Within a couple of days, they raised over $3 million, and all for a basic card game. Unbelievable.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Speaking of KS, have you seen the craziness regarding Exploding Kittens? Within a couple of days, they raised over $3 million, and all for a basic card game. Unbelievable.
    Insanity! I blame the 'cat people' for this.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Yes. My Buddy, George (CelticCat), is one of them.

The world is a very strange place. Gotta think that at that scale the COGS will be < $10 per. Those guys are probably closing in on $1mil profit each.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    The world is a very strange place. Gotta think that at that scale the COGS will be < $10 per. Those guys are probably closing in on $1mil profit each.
    I thought about that. What one marketable idea can do. Remember Beanie Babies, Pet Rocks, Disco. All things that should not have happened, but did and did in a big way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    They're not at the warehouse yet (as far as we know), which means anything is possible.

More to your point though; never add on exclusives or perks to a Kickstarter project that aren't in hand. It's just courting frustration. I do hope Ares and other KS entrepreneur's will profit by this learning experience in future?
    And I get mad at myself if I'm not at least five minutes early for an appointment. It's a changing world

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    George

Vive les félins! Boom!

Quote Originally Posted by CelticCat View Post
    Vive les félins! Boom!
    Welcome to the Anchorage, George.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

And I get mad at myself if I'm not at least five minutes early for an appointment. It's a changing world
    I'm with you on this. Early or on time, never late.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticCat View Post
    Vive les félins! Boom!
    Oh boy, now we're doomed. Welcome George.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Insanity! I blame the 'cat people' for this.
    My cat and I are in no way to blame. It has never exploded and here it is to prove it.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  6.2 KB

Bligh.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I was very tempted by it, but the price with postage was a killer

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    My cat and I are in no way to blame. It has never exploded and here it is to prove it.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  6.2 KB

Bligh.
    Are you sure it never exploded? I heard your cat was in one piece at one time, now it's in nine pieces.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Are you sure it never exploded? I heard your cat was in one piece at one time, now it's in nine pieces.
    Nah Ed.
    That's just a tail.
    Fetch me the cat Mister Christian.
    Bligh.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

After taking some time this afternoon to put maneuver numbers on Richards solo rule charts a question came to mind concerning what maneuver deck(s) the Victory and Constitution will have? Can anyone confirm the 'new' decks and whether or not they'll match the current numbering system?

See Fred's #8 post above regarding an I and L deck. You can see an "I" deck indication for both the Victory and Constitution in some Kickstarter closeup photos, but we still don't know the actual maneuvers or the numbering system.

OK. Looking more closely I can see that Constitution has the "L" deck while Victory has the "I" deck.

And from SoG Facebook the Spanish ship Sirena is an "A" deck while the Argonauta is a "B" deck.
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 01-26-2015 at 18:23. Reason: More information

Can anyone confirm the 'new' decks and whether or not they'll match the current numbering system?
    I think it's a very safe assumption. The Victory teaser suggested it's similar to the other British 1st rates, but just a bit better. Ironsides will probably be similar to Sybille.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I think it's a very safe assumption. The Victory teaser suggested it's similar to the other British 1st rates, but just a bit better. Ironsides will probably be similar to Sybille.
    Thanks Fred. I was interested in how it might impact our solo rules grids/charts; both yours and the one from Richard. If the Victory falls in with the 100 gun chart and Constitution with the frigates we should be fine. Same goes for the original solo rules without adding any new maneuver 'numbers'.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Thanks Fred. I was interested in how it might impact our solo rules grids/charts; both yours and the one from Richard. If the Victory falls in with the 100 gun chart and Constitution with the frigates we should be fine. Same goes for the original solo rules without adding any new maneuver 'numbers'.
    I will be sure to do a special chart for Powder Monkey if either of these ships has a new mix of manoeuvre cards. I doubt they will be much different myself!

Famous last words....

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Hopefully NOT, the Humphreys 44's were frequently as much "only 44's on paper" one way as Chesapeake was the other; I'd venture to say they should throw a similar punch to a 50-gun two-decker, so should probably be somewhere between Sybille and the Wave 3 Portlands, closer to the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Hopefully NOT, the Humphreys 44's were frequently as much "only 44's on paper" one way as Chesapeake was the other; I'd venture to say they should throw a similar punch to a 50-gun two-decker, so should probably be somewhere between Sybille and the Wave 3 Portlands, closer to the latter.
    Wave 3? Like 1774 HMS Isis?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Well yes of course "similar to" should not be construed as "exactly alike."

We can guess Constitution is between Sybille and the 3rd rates. As you suggest, we also know that within that narrow band Ares needs to fit smaller 50-64 gun 2-deckers as well. Also Constitution has, from my understanding, the reputation of being a good sailer. Also it's unique ship and one of the "specials." So my hunch was Constitution would be on the Sybille side of the midpoint between Sybille and Berwick.

We already know Constitution has less veer than Sybille (5 vs. 6). Presumably its arrows will be a bit shorter. The big question is whether it will lose the 1/9 turn cards. I guess it could go either way. My hunch has been that it will still have them (with the reduced veer making them a touch less potent); if it loses them it would be a bit of a blow...

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I'm curious, as well, what differences there will be with the captain cards.