Thread: Turning into & away from the wind (and tweak suggestion)

Hybrid View

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Gina

This is a terrific thread and some excellent points made.
    But it's really increasing my disppointment with SGN.
    If they had just made the ship maneuver cards with a bit more care and historical insight, they could have had a far more realistic-playing game at no cost whatever in playablity.
    I really do hope the community makes a realistic SGN 2.0 mod someday that preserves the good things about this system but makes it a real wargame.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by Broadsword56 View Post
    This is a terrific thread and some excellent points made.
    But it's really increasing my disppointment with SGN.
    If they had just made the ship maneuver cards with a bit more care and historical insight, they could have had a far more realistic-playing game at no cost whatever in playablity.
    I really do hope the community makes a realistic SGN 2.0 mod someday that preserves the good things about this system but makes it a real wargame.
    Been there did that. SGN is FUN. When I want to play a REAL naval war-game, I play "Heart of Oak" for the age of sail and Seekrieg 4, for anything afterward. Those are real "simulations". SGN has a lot of faults, but being bogged down in details is not one of them. It's fast, easy napoleonic miniatures. You should take it at face value. If you want realism, use the ships with the rules from Heart of Oak. You can download the rules for 5 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentop View Post
    If you want realism, use the ships with the rules from Heart of Oak.
    And that's it in a nutshell.
    What really drew me to SOG & WOG was the ready to sail and fly ships and planes. It gave me more time to reload and practice fastdraw (not that it did me any good). Not to mention, more time to relax with a .

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Gina

Just DL'ed Heart of Oak. Thanks for the tip, Kentop!
    And it even uses 1/1000 scale, too.
    By the way:
    My Shapeways site for 1/1000 scale ships, Swash & Buckle Naval Miniatures, is in the final stages of setup. As soon as I get my own test print back from them and judge it satisfactory, the shop will go live with the USS Niagara / USS Lawrence as the first kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadsword56 View Post
    Just DL'ed Heart of Oak. Thanks for the tip, Kentop!
    And it even uses 1/1000 scale, too.
    By the way:
    My Shapeways site for 1/1000 scale ships, Swash & Buckle Naval Miniatures, is in the final stages of setup. As soon as I get my own test print back from them and judge it satisfactory, the shop will go live with the USS Niagara / USS Lawrence as the first kit.
    The USS Niagara / USS Lawrence would be a must have. Please put me on your list of customers for two.