Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
David, I'm inclined to agree--it might take new construction techniques, but I'd bet that if the motivation, market and rules support were there even a pack of armed rowboats on a base could be done. (Heck, I've all but spoon-fed HOW to do it: one-piece mold using a modified base insert, then just paint the sections that represent each individual boat.)

If I had to guess, I'd say they're playing cautious right now--they got burned with the mast problem on Wave 2, and are gonna be kinda shy about any other real big ventures outside "terra firma" for a bit because of it, or at least that's my suspicion. Maybe even a "wait and see" because of the drubbing from the critics; Roberto once observed something re my long-range exercises to the effect of "let's wait and see how things go with Victory, Constitution and the Wave 1 reprint before we discuss any future Special Packs or reprints"--my guess is that how V&C do will decide if Santissima Trinidad or any other future SP's happen, and similarly Wave 1A+ and Wave 3 sales will determine if there's a Wave 4 or any new reprint waves.

AND with the talk about possibly having to THROTTLE DOWN on everything they've got in the pipeline penciled for 2015 between WGF, WGS and SGN to make sure they don't overtax customer wallets...
I don't think you have to guess at all. Problems with the Wave 2 masts cost Ares dearly, not only in dollars lost to replacement, etc., but in buyer reaction to the entire issue, plus the long wait for things to get back to normal.

I do think that the Constitution and Victory will be very profitable for them, IF they have enough on hand to satisfy demand?! I only need one HMS Victory, but you can be sure I'll be purchasing more that one USS Constitution to fill in for the lack of US ship representation. I'll want my 'Six Frigates' and maybe more.

Reprints aren't going to be as attractive to existing players, unless there's something substantial enough to differentiate them from what's already available? New players can be brought in on those, maybe. And yes, I can see a throttle down coming, especially as they seem to be focused on releasing new games that I personally have no interest in (Galaxy, Conan, Dino Race!?).