Thread: SGN Tournament Rules -- interest?

Hybrid View

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'd be willing to assist--it looks like I may have a lot more time available for research soon things things have gone quiet with Ares on 'official' news and discussion...

David, one of our goals when Fred first started discussing this was "just enough mild differentiation to give a reason to choose one ship or captain/crew member over another"--something to add minor differences with historical inspiration, but without anything being so powerful as to become power-game or Munchkin fodder. For example, going back to my example of Pellew as a swimmer diving over the side to save men gone overboard, I was thinking he'd let you recover one Crew casualty counter, but the ship had to forfeit its next Move action and you couldn't use any other Captain ability on that ship that turn or for 1-2 turns after, like the "cooldown" time on WGF Aces abilities. Maybe also a limit that he could only use that ability when assigned to a frigate or smaller.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-18-2014 at 12:51.

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

I will be happy to contribute to this thread.

I firmly believe that for a tournie based version to take off, we must make ship damage tracks on a simple level and ditch reloading.
    If you want a player under tournie circumstances to remember which ships have which broadside loaded, your going to have to accept lengthening the game for paperwork.
    The last thing players participating in a tournie want to do, is stand around while the oppo does bookwork.
    A simple damage track layout with tick off boxes is the best way to keep track of 3+ ships on an A4 page.