Thread: Naval Action Update

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default Naval Action Update

Pre-orders for this rather awesome looking game are being taken now. They have relieved me of my money already

http://www.navalaction.com/#ageofsail

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

"Naval Action" does not refer to SPs saying "Whoa -- check *her* out!". I stand corrected.

:)

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Targe

My money, they took it...

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Oh, so finally they're doing preorders? Oh my, this might be hard to resist?! Thanks David. I guess?

I preordered it just now. Seeing that it has been Greenlighted on Steam sold me on the deal.
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 09-16-2014 at 20:11.

Looks like a naval version of the WW1 air game, "Rise of Flight" where they have highly detailed aircraft similar to the detail of these ships. The ROF game has been continually releasing expansions involving the introduction of more plane types and graphic options and details that can be purchased as further modules. Bit like death by a 1000 cuts to your wallet though. I wonder if the Naval Action game will use the same format of gradual expansion to the game with in game purchases?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Do you think that this game might kill 'Sails of Glory'?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I don't think so. As with all the other table top games out there, there are all sorts of video games with the same theme. Its the visual and hands on experience of the miniatures that always appeal to a certain consumer.

Like how war thunder and the like killed wings?

Found this:

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Sebastian

What I really do like about this game is the speed shown. Reloading the guns seems to take quite a while (~1 min), speed and manoverability seem to be OK althouhg I cannot judge this very good. I found a video with two 74s and maximum speed was shown as being 13 knots and almost a complete stop while tacking through the wind.

I played Assassins Creed 4 a while back and ships behaved like torped boats in this game, so having a game which actually resembles AoS combat might be a lt of fun. As I played games like Silent Hunter in the past, I do not mind long waiting times.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I am very, very tempted. My fear is not the cost in terms of money but in terms of time. For that reason, I think I need to stay away, though doing so painfully.

The visuals look great.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Targe

Time needed is the real issue for me as well, but it all really depends on how long it takes to upgrade and get new ships. I can't see myself playing this more than a few times each month, because of my classes, and the other games I play (all two of them). It looks like a fun way to kill a half hour, and if I can get some of my other friends onboard then I'll be even happier, but from what I've seen, it really isn't the type of game that demands constant attention.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Here's a personal update on Naval Action. I got my Steam Account key via email yesterday. I installed the game today, jumped into 3 consecutive team missions and 'won' 2 out of 3. Sunk twice and no kills as yet. It's a beautiful game and I'll try to get some screenshots to share later. The simulation alpha programming is very demanding of computers as my video card sounded more like a vacuum cleaner than the small buzz noise I normally hear. This may improve later when the game is optimized? You will have to have Direct X 11 on your machine in order for the game to run. There's no manual to speak of and while they claim the interface is intuitive I don't think that's quite accurate if you're not a computer gamer to begin with?

More impressions later, but I'll be very interested to hear David's comments along with other members here. It's quite clear that there are "groups" already forming up. No doubt folks from Pirates of the Burning Seas or other online games?

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Sebastian

I was very tempted to pre-order this. However, my current graphics card is a bit (only a tiny bit) outdated for this game. Since you wrote your card is running hot, I don't see my card handling the game. I'm currently in the process of convincing myself to get a new card, but for a single game? (Mental note: Maybe later, once GTA5 is released for PC or Hearts of Oak requires a similar high performance card.)

I would love to see some fotos and read some comments from you guys.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I was very tempted to pre-order this. However, my current graphics card is a bit (only a tiny bit) outdated for this game. Since you wrote your card is running hot, I don't see my card handling the game. I'm currently in the process of convincing myself to get a new card, but for a single game? (Mental note: Maybe later, once GTA5 is released for PC or Hearts of Oak requires a similar high performance card.)

I would love to see some fotos and read some comments from you guys.
    I've not been back due to server maintenance (they should be back up today?), but to balance my comments I was running the game at higher graphical settings and on a large monitor vs. lower graphics and a windowed approach on a standard monitor. This may very well mean more folks can run the simulation if they're not entirely focused on the graphics?

I will try and post more photos and comments. They have forums if you'd like to read some additional comments? I do think you'll have to register to post or see photos?

http://forum.game-labs.net/

They also have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NavalAction

Finally there's a Steam Greenlight section and group as well: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=259130636

Is this game intended to be online multi-player only or will there be an AI?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Is this game intended to be online multi-player only or will there be an AI?
    I just finished playing two sessions. Apparently I cannot share photos even though I took 9 during the last two forays. It's still beta so they're probably limiting general public access?

As it is now there are two buttons on the bottom of the lobby screen; one for PVE and one for PVP. I don't know how far they've gone in developing a PVE AI or what those missions might be, but everything seems to default to PVP at the moment. It's clearly intended to promote multiplayer team play, but that doesn't mean folks on your "side" wont attack you. That just happened in the last session actually. Ramming also appears to be a favorite mechanic so I don't know how this is all going to work out in terms of a sailing simulation in the Age of Sail or this just becoming World of Tanks on the water?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Targe

This game made me realize how outdated my machine is becoming, in talks with a friend to build a new computer. I'm on a laptop with integrated graphics, so I can't just swap parts out as they become outdated. I got my steam key, the game was playable, kinda. Almost everything was purple, which, according to the forums, is a sure sign your GPU isn't good enough for the game.

Jim, there's a thread on the forums where you can post screencaps, and if the devs like them you'll be free to share them, you might look there for some screencaps to show us.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by RotS-Targe View Post
    This game made me realize how outdated my machine is becoming, in talks with a friend to build a new computer. I'm on a laptop with integrated graphics, so I can't just swap parts out as they become outdated. I got my steam key, the game was playable, kinda. Almost everything was purple, which, according to the forums, is a sure sign your GPU isn't good enough for the game.

Jim, there's a thread on the forums where you can post screencaps, and if the devs like them you'll be free to share them, you might look there for some screencaps to show us.
    Thanks Targe for the forums information. I'll check it out. By the way, my video card did not scream like a banshee this time around, but I had lowered the graphics to 'low', which only marginally changed the quality of the visual experience.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Here's a link to some images on Imgur that have been up for a year or so (linked from the forums). I'll try posting some of mine if/when I can get them approved.

http://imgur.com/a/c1Yno

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The ship graphics in Coog's video looked very impressive but there were nowhere like enough crew members visible.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

The ship graphics in Coog's video looked very impressive but there were nowhere like enough crew members visible.
    I don't think they'll try to show accurate crew npc/avatars? The more computer generated graphics you add; complete gun crews, etc., the more likely the frame rate for the game will drop significantly.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Targe

Yeah, my card is actually one level lower than the minimum specs, the issue is I need something that can run DX11, which mine can't.
    On the ramming, I think that's partly because people are still getting used to the game, plus, one thing I've noticed, in video games, people tend to get closer than they would in real life, it is likely for many reasons, the fact you're looking at a monitor, and closer things are easier to aim at, plus, real ship crew knew their guns a lot better than anyone but the most dedicated player, and so most players think they need to get closer than they actually do. Once the game has matured, and the players have gotten some experience, I think ramming will be less of an issue.

Question is: How much fun is the cooperative gaming?

I play War Thunder and each time I start in a B-17 the other bombers split up and we're easy targets for single fighters. The chance to survive in a bomber box or (naval) line of ships is much higher.

Is there a kind of fleet management in this game. Maybe an virtual arrow that points at the direction the Admiral want you to sail? Otherwise you have a big melee of ships.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Sebastian

They want to incorporate fleet commanders and some kind of mechanism to show the Admirals intention to suordniate captains. They even want to have frigates relating the signals from the Admiral. Which would be rather cool, cause in this case frigates can stick to their role in fleet battles.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Question is: How much fun is the cooperative gaming?

I play War Thunder and each time I start in a B-17 the other bombers split up and we're easy targets for single fighters. The chance to survive in a bomber box or (naval) line of ships is much higher.

Is there a kind of fleet management in this game. Maybe an virtual arrow that points at the direction the Admiral want you to sail? Otherwise you have a big melee of ships.
    I haven't had a chance to sail in the game that much, but the few 'missions' I've been in someone (usually the player with the larger ship) tries to organize a line of battle. It never seems to last long once the shooting starts. The very first time I play someone broke off and sailed to a fort where they anchored their ship manned the fort and proceeded to pummel the other side.

Fleet commanders and simulated signaling would increase the immersion. I'm just not sure your 'average' gamer is going to play the way the game's designers intend it to be played? I really hope it gets a nice number of serious players.

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    I know, isn't that weird? I'm not a veteran WT player, but my experience has been the same. I've never seen any effective cooperation, even though when you read about WW2 aerial combat the team-tactics seem to be absolutely crucial. I find the free-for-all random melee a letdown...

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I imagine it would be hard to expect players, most of whom have not undergone extensive training and practice, to maintain any form of tactical alignment, especially in a video game played in real time. I have not played any type of online "cooperative" game, but I would think breakdowns would be quite common. I see it in tabletop RPG games in which, once combat occurs, players play their respective characters as if in isolation with very little cooperative tactical maximization occurring, and they are sitting next to each other physically.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I imagine it would be hard to expect players, most of whom have not undergone extensive training and practice, to maintain any form of tactical alignment .......
    Bit like SGN then :)

And thats my 2000th post

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Bit like SGN then :)

And thats my 2000th post
    Grats!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    I know, isn't that weird? I'm not a veteran WT player, but my experience has been the same. I've never seen any effective cooperation, even though when you read about WW2 aerial combat the team-tactics seem to be absolutely crucial. I find the free-for-all random melee a letdown...
    Memoir '44 dictates, by a stack of cards, when and where you will attack the enemy. You have no choice but to obey commands. That's "cooperation" in the military.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Targe

The game I play, Mechwarrior Online, is mixed. On one hand, there are the competitive players all talking to eachother, with set command, strategy, and teamwork; and on the other hand you have the players just playing by themselves, or with a couple friends, but not really coordinating with any of the other teammates.
    I tend to play with one or two friends, meaning I generally get stomped by the organized players. I have fun playing with my friends, even if I don't win that often.

I can easily see Naval Action turning into something like this, especially once you are given the option to form groups and play together (No clue if it's been announced that this feature will be in the game, but we all know it will be eventually).

Basically, if you want tactics, you need to form a group, else you'll be in the land of everyone doing their own thing.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    And thats my 2000th post
    Hip-hip-hooray -

And what a post it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentop View Post
    Memoir '44 dictates, by a stack of cards, when and where you will attack the enemy. You have no choice but to obey commands. That's "cooperation" in the military.
    This is my next major game purchase (unless GMT hurries up with many of their new titles).

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Kentop View Post
    And that is why that particular system sucks out loud -- read any account of any major campaign, and it will be rife with generals ignoring, misinterpreting, or otherwise handling orders in ways guaranteed to leave a battle plan in tatters. Letting actual players control units is far more realistic... for good or ill. >:)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    And that is why that particular system sucks out loud -- read any account of any major campaign, and it will be rife with generals ignoring, misinterpreting, or otherwise handling orders in ways guaranteed to leave a battle plan in tatters. Letting actual players control units is far more realistic... for good or ill. >:)
    Many people seem to differ since the system is quite popular, more so the Commands & Colors line; Ancients and Napoleonics or Battle Cry for ACW. Look at the system in a different way and it simulates exactly what you are saying. So as the player you have 3 cards in your hand, playing one and drawing a new one in each turn. Most of the cards specify what actions you can take in a sector of the battlefield, like Skirmish Left Flank which allows you to perform actions with one unit in that sector. Now if your plan as the player is to commit major forces to an attack on the left flank a skirmish card doesn't help, nor does it help if you don't have any left flank cards in your hand. Hence you can say that this is the general in command of that wing/flank, etc, ignoring or misinterpreting your orders.

Not quite "realistic" to have a player as the omniscient 100 foot tall general to have all their units do exactly as they wish is it?

Mind you I am not saying one design philosophy is better, some people like games with FOW, others don't, doesn't mean that the game "sucks" though.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Not quite "realistic" to have a player as the omniscient 100 foot tall general to have all their units do exactly as they wish is it?
    I have a hard-enough time getting them to shoot straight....

A related problem: I have never been in a C&C game where I felt like I was *actually playing the game* -- I feel more like the game designer is calling me every couple minutes and saying "OK, move that piece there, and that piece there; no, no, don't move that one...." Bored me to tears.

Oh, and The SO IDed another catastrophic fault: The victory conditions and combat system give the victory to whoever can shoot the most Infantry (Infantry are easiest to hit; and victory is purely a result of "killing [x] units first"); couple that to the completely-random nature of unit activation, and victory goes to whoever gets the best activation-card draws.

No, it's a rubbish system, and I cannot for the life of me fathom its popularity save for the graybeards who didn't have any alternatives back-when. Give me _BattleTech_'s initiative system any day.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I have a hard-enough time getting them to shoot straight....

Oh, and The SO IDed another catastrophic fault: The victory conditions and combat system give the victory to whoever can shoot the most Infantry (Infantry are easiest to hit; and victory is purely a result of "killing [x] units first"); couple that to the completely-random nature of unit activation, and victory goes to whoever gets the best activation-card draws.

No, it's a rubbish system, and I cannot for the life of me fathom its popularity save for the graybeards who didn't have any alternatives back-when. Give me _BattleTech_'s initiative system any day.
    Not so, there are plenty of scenarios in the C&CN where you collect victory banners for capturing objective hexes. Maybe it is popular because it is a good/fun game, despite your objections to it.

Keeping in mind that unit activation in an IGO/UGO game is a different concept than an initiative system, just what is so good about Battle Tech? (caveat - we may actually agree!).

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

At present, I am looking for games that can be easily played with friends given time, experience, and interest constraints. Memoir 44 seems to fit such criteria. For games having more simulation, complexity, etc. feels, I am relegated to playing solo. I have been collecting a few series, lately, with solo-play in mind: Lock 'n Load, Advanced Tobruk System, and Combat Commander. I am awaiting the expansion releases of Conflict of Heroes. Over Christmas break, I will see Tide of Iron and a few older AH games on the table (I will find out this week if a proposed trade for Raid on St. Nazaire goes through - fingers crossed). I am so looking forward to break. It will be nice to do some wargaming, and especially to sailing some SoG missions.

Sue enjoyed learning BattleTech at Origins. I remember it to be a very fun game.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Not so, there are plenty of scenarios in the C&CN where you collect victory banners for capturing objective hexes. Maybe it is popular because it is a good/fun game, despite your objections to it.
    Not in any of the _BC_ scenarios I've seen. And one can only "take hexes" if one is permitted to move -- see next remarks.

Keeping in mind that unit activation in an IGO/UGO game is a different concept than an initiative system, just what is so good about Battle Tech? (caveat - we may actually agree!).
    Short version: In "I-go-you-go" one runs into problems like "PanzerBush" (where a unit can dash from cover-hex to cover-hex without the opponent having a chance to fire; thus forcing clumsy "reaction fire" rules on the game). _BT_'s uses a form of simultaneous movement: Both sides roll initiative; whoever rolls lower moves a unit or two first; winner can then "react" to that move, but *only* that move, so the winner has an advantage, but not an overwhelming one. And unless a unit has suffered some sort of catastrophic failure (falling over; heat-induced shutdown; crippled arm or leg; etc.), there's not the problem found in _C&C_ where a unit can spend the entire game doing absolutely nothing due to unlucky card-draws (example: In the _BC_ scenario for Wilson's Creek, I was playing the Union force; the only time I ever got to move and shoot my own units was at the very beginning, when I got to move my right flank units -- which in their entirely were one each infantry, cavalry, and artillery; after those units were destroyed in The SO's turn, I had *no* cards which could move or shoot the main body of my force, which was on the left; so I spent the rest of the game just sitting there, occasionally rolling dice, and wondering when I might be allowed to Do Something).

Also: As noted, the C&C combat system (at least for the ACW game) is broken -- The SO ran the numbers, and determined the fastest way to win was to only shoot at infantry, as those were some 50% more likely to take damage.

Interesting initiative system. I think the C&C system has evolved since BC. I just received the Prussian expansion for C&CN and every scenario has a number of victory hexes. Also in C&CN you usually have a hand of 4-6 cards plus some cards allow you to move say all your infantry units, etc. So IMO it is not just unlucky card draws but also player choices. No different that getting unlucky initiative dice rolls!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

No different that getting unlucky initiative dice rolls!
    Have you been watching me play Pathfinder?

Have any of you played Conflict of Heroes or Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division? They have some unique initiative systems - CoH = Ugo-Igo with a twist, FF = depends upon what is happening.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I haven't been back to Naval Action in close to one months time, but having just come from some reading on the forums I know they've been busy working on damage models, ships, etc. Raking shots do cause significant damage, especially stern raking according to more than one of the regular posters. The game is still in alpha (looks incredibly good for an alpha) so there's going to be a lot of changes yet to come.

What impressed me the most in today's visit was this recent YouTube video of the new Trafalgar game mode and the resulting hour long battle that took place. I don't expect you'll want to watch the entire battle, but seeing the Santisima Trinidad along with a large number of SOL's was awesome! Cheers!

Update on Naval Action. After a PayPal dispute stopped pre-orders the developers just activated purchasing again. You get an armed yacht with your purchase as well. Anyone interested should check the system requirement before ordering though. Game looks great, but still technically Alpha with the concentration on the ship and combat model as the focus.