Quote Originally Posted by kenji View Post
After reflecting on some of the comments that I have read in this forum I am beginning to wonder if Ares might be better served if they evolved their Sails Of Glory system into one that can game WW1/WW2 naval warfare.

The thing is that this system really only adds value in a situation in which (a) maneuver was important, and (b) there was only a limited set of possible maneuvers.

Neither of these was really at all true for World War I/II naval battles. Of course you can say that in very specific circumstances, maneuver mattered--if a ship could turn fast enough it might avoid a bomb, or if it was lucky it could comb a torpedo track. But these were still really just "roll of the dice" expedients at the last minute. It's not like tactical maneuver capabilities and choices ever played a significant role in determining the course or outcome of any naval battle.

It seems to me that the Ares system might be appropriate for an American Revolution/Napoleonic/Civil War land miniatures game, since the units were drilled on very specific maneuvers they could execute in the field, and the way they maneuvered was very important to how the battle came out. But I'm not sure they want to produce that kind of mini, nor that the market for that is huge either.

And I agree that what we really need is not to have Ares distracted on something else, but more product--and maybe more gameplay options--for what we already have...